Thread: Reminding myself where my "No miss pace" is at.

Reminding myself where my "No miss pace" is at.

Friends,

Was out yesterday doing some T&E stuff and took a bit of time to run some loads through some various guns. Ran some 200 grain Bear/Predator loads through my Gen 5 Glock 20.

(The projectile is a poly coat hard cast at 1180 FPS if anybody is curious)

Started shooting some relatively slow fire groups at about 10 yards and just shooting as soon as my front sight was where it needed to be. I kept getting faster and faster.

On the last target, you can see where I completely had the wheels fall off. Lost track of the front sight and got shooting faster than I could get a good sight picture. It showed on the target too..

Slowing down probably a 1/10 or 2/10s of a second got me back to getting my hits again on the next target. Good reminder for me.

Every once in a while I need to re-establish what my "no-miss" pace is by pushing it until I go over the edge, then backing it up a bit until I find the spot where I am back in control and getting all my hits.

Shot my G17.2 next with an RMR on it.

Was running the 148+P poly coat flat points through it. They clock at 1125 from a G17 and 1156 from my G34. I really like these little hammers.

You can tell a difference shooting these compared to a traditional 115 or 124 grain load, but they are not hard to shoot well. Getting good hits at a decent pace (decent for me, GJM would time it with a sun dial) was pretty easy. There is a lot to be said about carrying whatever gun you perform best with.

Having learned my lesson with the 10mm, I had slowed down a bit and getting good hits came easy enough. One of these times though, I actually need to go out and get some real practice in when I have time and push myself and let the wheels fall off a few more times, just to knock a bit of rust off. It is obvious over time we slow down, and I don't shoot anywhere close to how I did back when I was going to competitions on a regular basis. But that is life.

I will often break up 25 yard B8 slow fire strings with faster paced 7 or 10 yard strings. Oddly enough, that helps when I try to push speed back out at 25 yards. I'm not really one to chase splits, but "running until the wheels fall off" really does help one find a pace that works for them.

I'll often use the Glock 24 round mags, or the 20 and 22 round mags I have with Warne extensions on them, for this sort of "pacing" practice. Call it a Biiiiillllllll Drill.

If your goal is to improve your speed, while it might feel uncomfortable, the most efficient way to increase speed is to practice in speed mode. As described by Steve Anderson, in speed mode you practice speed and don't worry about accuracy. See where the wheels fall off and figure out to fix that. That usually translates to faster times when you are in accuracy mode.

Then in "match mode," to pull it all together, you see what your sights or dot are telling you, but you don't consciously control speed.

As someone that is wired to accuracy mode, speed mode is uncomfortable but very necessary to keep improving!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

^^^agree entirely. I’ll add that switching between reactive (dot driven visual feedback) and predictive (feedforward) shooting helps a lot.

I was refreshing my 10mm shooting yesterday, and predictive doubles revealed a subtle grip/wrist issue causing the gun to return to the right. Once I fixed that, my reactive splits got faster by ~0.15s.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List