Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Single action revolver discusson and general shenanigans

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    That's an interesting approach.
    Why not a modern revolver with a hammer spur?
    While I have never had *problem* when cocking a double action/modern revolver, SA revolvers are purpose designed to cock for every shot and seem to me to be easier to manipulate for cocking on every shot. And it also seems to me that, if you’re going to carry a revolver, intending to cock for every shot for whatever reason, it makes sense to carry one designed to do that for several reasons.

Others mileage may vary.

It sticks in my head that in the late days of target shooting with revolvers before the autos took over, that the standard gun was a double action design, preferably with a "target hammer" available from the factory or shops like King's.
    Not many SAAs, Bisleys, or NM #3s "designed to do that" left on the line.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

That's an interesting approach.
    Why not a modern revolver with a hammer spur?
    Not all hammer spurs are created equal, in shape and surface area, and, cocking a DA revolver’s hammer means working against two springs, each with substantial strength of their own. The trigger return spring of a single-action revolver is quite small, and compressing it requires much less force.

All else being equal, a longer hammer spur, in being a longer lever, provides a greater mechanical advantage to the thumb that is cocking it.

To provide a specific example, cocking a GP100 is not nearly as easy as cocking a Blackhawk Bisley, or a Ruger Single Six.

In my specific, personal case, my right thumb was the first of my digits to be wrecked, long before either of my index fingers were noticeably afflicted. Cocking a relatively small Ruger GP100 or SP101 spur is no easy task, for my right thumb. (My left thumb seems healthy, for now.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I picked up a Lipsey's Exclusive Ruger Blackhawk Flattop Convertible today, .45 Colt/ACP cylinders, 4 5/8" barrel, stainless.
    Attachment 118918
    @Lost River was the inspiration (or instigator) for this purchase. The first time I saw his stainless Convertible .45 Blackhawk Flattop, I knew I had to have one. One day I would like to get a Bisley hammer and fit it to my gun too, and I'm trying to find wood grips similar to his. Maybe the black grip frame too. Can't find the hammer anywhere, though, and not sure what goes into fitting it. Serial number dates being shipped out by Ruger in 2024.

I took it shooting right after I got it, shooting 50rds of factory 200gr Cowboy loads and 10rds of Barnes 200gr hollow points. Incredibly fun to shoot gun, and very pleasant too. Now I kind of want a double action .45 Colt to go with it!

How stupid would it be to actually carry one of these for defense? Even though I have double action revolvers and semi autos, something about this begs to be carried sometime.
    They are AWESOME guns!

One thing I did with mine on the .45 ACP cylinder. The 200 grain LSWC load I traditionally use in my autos has the band of the bullet stick above the rim of the case. It would not fully seat in the cylinder, so I had the cylinder reamed and uniformed the chambers at the same time.

Great little gun for Jackrabbit safaris in the dead of winter.

You can save some weight by swapping the stainless grip frame for an aluminum one. The grips on my were made by Shane at Lone Star Custom Grips. I don't know if he has a website but I know he hangs out (or used to) on the single action sixguns forum. It has been quite a while since I have been over there. Just a bit busy lately.

The gun with the .45 Colt LOVES 270 grain Keith wide meplat SWCs at 900 FPS, which can pretty well handle everything one is likely to run across. It is without question, my favorite single action sixgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Not all hammer spurs are created equal, in shape and surface area, and, cocking a DA revolver’s hammer means working against two springs, each with substantial strength of their own. The trigger return spring of a single-action revolver is quite small, and compressing it requires much less force.

All else being equal, a longer hammer spur, in being a longer lever, provides a greater mechanical advantage to the thumb that is cocking it.

To provide a specific example, cocking a GP100 is not nearly as easy as cocking a Blackhawk Bisley, or a Ruger Single Six.

In my specific, personal case, my right thumb was the first of my digits to be wrecked, long before either of my index fingers were noticeably afflicted. Cocking a relatively small Ruger GP100 or SP101 spur is no easy task, for my right thumb. (My left thumb seems healthy, for now.)
    That eluded me because I just realized that I do not own a DA revolver with a hammer.

It would be interesting to see someone work up and train with a SA pistol intended for anti-personnel self defense qua self defense, as opposed to a hunting revolver pressed into that role or being carried for nostalgia's sake.

Do keep us posted.

That eluded me because I just realized that I do not own a DA revolver with a hammer.

It would be interesting to see someone work up and train with a SA pistol intended for anti-personnel self defense qua self defense, as opposed to a hunting revolver pressed into that role or being carried for nostalgia's sake.

Do keep us posted.
    I had hoped to find a video series, with a Gunsite instructor Il Ling New, that had been on either the Gunsite or Ruger Firearms you-tube channel, but, I had zero luck, as if that series had been deleted. So, here is a quite good presentation by Paul Harrell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzHs2G2jhYw
    Last edited by Rex G; 05-24-2024 at 12:21 PM.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Personally, I do not use the same right thumb placement* that this guy prefers, but this is a good presentation. His grip method is very much oriented toward “cowboy action” shooting, but, it may well work for defensive shooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtPnRRxuOuc

Notice that there are times that his index finger is inside the trigger guard, when the muzzle is not “on-target,” and/or he does not have the sights aligned on-target. That will put a kink in some folks’ tails, but, let us remember that the single action sixgun’s trigger is totally “dead,” until the hammer is cocked. Obviously, safe direction, and muzzle awareness, remain vital.

I am certainly not any kind of expert. I got really deep into the single-action sixgunning weeds about twenty years ago, more or less, and only stayed in deep, for as little as a couple of years.

*I lock my weapon hand thumb down, onto or near my middle finger, with all revolvers.
    Last edited by Rex G; 05-24-2024 at 12:50 PM.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I’m enough of a nerd, in a quaisi-HEMA sort of way, that I’ve practiced with an SA wheelie for this. With the caveat that we all know it’s 2024, not 1924, here’s some internet thoughts on the SA wheel gun:

https://www.athlonoutdoors.com/artic...self-defense/?

https://www.swatmag.com/article/sing...ion-revolvers/

http://www.marksmanshipmatters.com/s...elf-defense-2/

Regrettably, it appears that Il Ling New’s Ruger-sponsored videos on defensive use and proper administrative handling of the ol’ hogleg are no longer on youtube.

At any rate, nobody’s first choice, but better than a kind word alone.
    I'm not going down the debate rabbit hole regarding candidates for our next president in 2024, but I am truly and completely tired of this particular asshole.
    -1911nut

As a confirmed reference book junkie, what are some of the go-to single action reference books? History, ‘smithing, maintenance, first hand accounts of usage, etc. Doesn’t have to be brand specific either.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Clint Smith offered one at Thunder Ranch, but it's been a while. May have been a one-off.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List