Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NRL Hunter

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    As I continue to think, my heart says that one Browning X-Bolt model, but my head says Savage 110 Tactical- 24" .308, same ballistics and ammo as my PRS rig.. And then maybe later the Weatherby 280AI if I wanted to "circle back" on the Factory gun concept.

Either way, I would put the Bushnell that's on the PRS rig onto the factory gun.

My smith also has a blueprinted-and-rebuilt 700 with a Proof 20" in 6.5CM. That plus a stock/chassis, and as long as I was shooting factory ammo, would be a OL gun, or a OH with room to grow, weight-wise.

I looked through some of the stuff at NRAAM, and I think having some extra ounces or even pounds available on a precision hunting rifle will be of benefit. The guys running gun-mounted laser rangefinders seem very pleased.

The XLR seems like such a great choice for OL or OH- how has your experience with the chassis been?

XLR is one of the top chassis being used in NRL and PRS, our Pro shooter was sponsored by them and won national matches with them as well as others. My rig was kind of built around more of a NRL Hunterish build though I'd make some changes now that I know more of what's involved.

https://cstactical.com/shop-by-brand/xlr-industries/

Dan and some of our customers in NRL Hunter both light and heavy

Name:  ghosthunter.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  101.0 KB
    Name:  xlrdan3.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  101.6 KB
    Name:  chris xlr.jpg
Size:  61.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_2854.jpg
Size:  99.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_2855.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  83.6 KB
    Name:  mlook.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  104.5 KB
    Name:  xlrdan6.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  87.7 KB
    Name:  xlrdan7.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  70.6 KB
    Name:  xlrdan4.jpg
Size:  78.9 KB

And my build in the beginning before I changed to the XLR Envy Pro

Name:  IMG-1982.jpg
Size:  102.8 KB
    Last edited by CS Tactical; 05-23-2024 at 10:46 AM.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Site Supporter
    What's with all the muzzle brakes? I thought everyone hunted suppressed these days (myself included)? I don't like being around brakes anymore. If I ran the match, your suppressor weight wouldn't count, just to try and get everyone to run suppressed. My rifle, the one I actually hunt with, is just over 10# with an Ultra 7, proof CF barrel, Mk5 5-25 and an Atlas bipod. So there is still room to add weight and still be well under the 12# limit with a can.

The XLR seems like such a great choice for OL or OH- how has your experience with the chassis been?
    I must like the XLR since I have two of them. One for my Vudoo .22 and one for my 6.5CM. I went with the Envy Pro chassis with the C6 buttstock. The chassis weights 4.5 lbs and the total weight of my rifle with scope and bipod attached is 14.7 lbs. If you wanted to save even more weight, the XLR Element is a good option or I think they also make one in magnesium alloy. Right now I’m enjoying the extra weight since it helps me manage recoil and spot my hit or miss. Maybe as my shooting matures someday I’ll go Open Light. But for now, I like the extra weight and as long as I can carry it I’ll continue to run Open Heavy.

I believe if you shoot factory you have to be under 12 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    What's with all the muzzle brakes? I thought everyone hunted suppressed these days (myself included)? I don't like being around brakes anymore. If I ran the match, your suppressor weight wouldn't count, just to try and get everyone to run suppressed. My rifle, the one I actually hunt with, is just over 10# with an Ultra 7, proof CF barrel, Mk5 5-25 and an Atlas bipod. So there is still room to add weight and still be well under the 12# limit with a can.
    I hear what you’re saying. But fact of the matter, comps tame the recoil way better than a can, and being able to spot your hit/miss is key to making corrections.

But after I get done with this weekend’s 2-day match I’m going to try shooting suppressed at my next 1-day match in early June. I have to wear muffs on top of my in-ear hearing pro since the concussion gets to be a bit much after a long day of shooting. So I’m thinking suppressed may be the direction I go, provided it doesn’t detract from my ability to spot hits & misses. My comp is 5 oz and my can is only 10 oz, so only a net increase in weight of 5 oz. My rig weighs 14.7 with the comp, so I have weight to spare even with the suppressor.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    I hear what you’re saying. But fact of the matter, comps tame the recoil way better than a can, and being able to spot your hit/miss is key to making corrections.

But after I get done with this weekend’s 2-day match I’m going to try shooting suppressed at my next 1-day match in early June. I have to wear muffs on top of my in-ear hearing pro since the concussion gets to be a bit much after a long day of shooting. So I’m thinking suppressed may be the direction I go, provided it doesn’t detract from my ability to spot hits & misses. My comp is 5 oz and my can is only 10 oz, so only a net increase in weight of 5 oz. My rig weighs 14.7 with the comp, so I have weight to spare even with the suppressor.
    Oh I’m fully aware that the brakes make gaming the game better. I started out running brakes years ago. Then went suppressed and never went back. I can watch my impacts running a can and free recoil off a tripod. I’ve won two national level sniper matches with a can, against guys running brakes. When I run matches, I look for stage designs that punish people that run brakes. Shooting from inside structures, inside culverts, up against a dirt covered wall, etc. They are not practical in real world use.

I’ve converted all the people I hunt with to suppressors. I won’t spot for anyone not using a can. I can’t tell you how many headaches I’ve had to deal with sitting on the line getting pummeled all day by muzzle blast. I just sit back and cover my ears, and tell them “I hope it works out for you.”

Yeah, the whole brake vs. suppressor thing is a matter of less recoil with the brake competing against less cumulative blast with the suppressor. Of course, there is the whole weight budget to consider. A braked 11.8 lb or 15.8 lb gun might not have the "weight budget" to allow the use of a suppressor.

A braked gun is going to recoil less than a suppressed gun, so there's a choice to be made. I'm shooting a brake right now, but I'd like to shoot suppressed. I wonder if recoil would be different with a brake-mounted can compared to a direct thread can.

While I'm almost certainly going to purchase a Silencerco for use with precision rifle, I'm curious about that Area 419 modular can. There's a 5.5" and a 6.5" way to assemble it that includes brake baffles at the end of the parts stack. One of the reviews I read said that although it wasn't "quiet-quiet", the combo gave muzzle-brake level recoil reduction and was quieter and less blasty than a pure brake.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    Of course, there is the whole weight budget to consider. A braked 11.8 lb or 15.8 lb gun might not have the "weight budget" to allow the use of a suppressor.
    That’s why you build the gun with that in mind. Proof CF barrel, Manners LRH stock or XLR Element chassis. Use a lighter scope like the Mk5 or Trijicon instead of a tank like Vortex Razor.

Thunder Beast are without a doubt the king of precision rifle cans. At some point the brake becomes a crutch. If you can’t spot 6.5 CM impacts in a 16# gun with a can, your fundamentals need work. I see nearly all my impacts at every match I’ve shot. Even in weird PRS situations. Unless you’re just straight free recoiling, which I don’t believe you really need to do in NRL Hunter. But maybe I’m wrong.

I think you're making some great points- and I think suppressor use will only grow.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post

State laws is the biggest reason you don’t see as many people shoot suppressed. And the suppressor does count towards your total weight. Some people are flying from all over the country into some states that are not NFA friendly.

Site Supporter
    I only shoot in free states.

User Tag List