Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Shithole Cities

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    Oakland is replacing stoplights in some intersections with stop signs to prevent theft of the very valuable stop light wiring (copper). Apparently same issue with EV chargers elsewhere. Moving out of CA 6 years ago was definitely the right move; gang activity had then started to move north from Salinas into the small town of Hollister.
    I saw that news report. The picture made lol and shake my head at the same time.

I saw yesterday that Seattle is giving huge bonuses to cops (something like $20k ea). And new officers will start at over $100k... because defunding works

This is a state-level thing, but I’ll leave it here because it’s most likely driven by a major metro area:

https://www.mystateline.com/news/loc...ed-individual/
    I'm not going down the debate rabbit hole regarding candidates for our next president in 2024, but I am truly and completely tired of this particular asshole.
    -1911nut

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    This is a state-level thing, but I’ll leave it here because it’s most likely driven by a major metro area:

https://www.mystateline.com/news/loc...ed-individual/
    “justice-impacted individuals” LOLOL!

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I’ll leave it here because it’s most likely driven by a major metro area
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    “justice-impacted individuals” LOLOL!
    Back in My Day we called them Fuck Ups!!!

ETA: I think my most significant objection here is that there is pretty much zero possibility that any of these individuals have ever actually been impacted by justice!! LMArightO.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    Oakland is replacing stoplights in some intersections with stop signs to prevent theft of the very valuable stop light wiring (copper). Apparently same issue with EV chargers elsewhere. Moving out of CA 6 years ago was definitely the right move; gang activity had then started to move north from Salinas into the small town of Hollister.
    I have to drive into Oakland this afternoon. It’s continuously frustrating that I can carry everywhere except for the actually seriously dangerous places.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I have to drive into Oakland this afternoon. It’s continuously frustrating that I can carry everywhere except for the actually seriously dangerous places.
    A few years back I had a side job, three days a week I’d drive about 90 minutes from my home to East Oakland. I’d work 8 to 12 hours(contract security work)and drive home. As soon as I pulled off the freeway I’d pull over put my plate carrier on, place my AR at the ready between the passenger seat and the center counsel of my truck and put my duty belt on with my Glock. I also carried a LCP II in my weak side cargo pocket. Always felt the drive into and through East Oakland was more dangerous then when I actually got to my work site, but that’s the only way I’d go to or work in Oakland with a AR, Glock and armor. Did that side job for about a year and a half, then got the hell out of that shithole state. I’m no longer in California but I’m still authorized to carry there with my retired LEO ID, just have to qual annually with any certified instructor (NRA works). But in 2025 I’ll have to reapply with California and do a live scan to renew it, haven't decided if I will yet, you have to practically force me at gun point to go back there. But we do still have family there so I most likely will jump through the hopes and do it.

It was revealed last week that the Birmingham Police Department is down to 426 Sworn. That number includes a very top heavy supervisor ranks, lots and lots(and lots)of admin house cats, detectives, "SWAT" and multiple task forces. What's left is divided among 4 precincts and 2 shifts. It took about 120 officers per precinct to cover 3 shifts, and that was allowing only 2 officers PTO and lots of overtime.
    They have almost no one answering calls or patrolling.
    To put that into perspective, my rookie class in 1990 pushed the number of patrol officers to over 600. And they've annexed several municipalities since then.
    They'll be under 400 by year's end, sooner from what I'm hearing.
    Shootings and killings are so bad that hizzoner went on the news motherfucking Trump and the NRA...because...reasons...
    LOfuckingL

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    It was revealed last week that the Birmingham Police Department is down to 426 Sworn.

To put that into perspective, my rookie class in 1990 pushed the number of patrol officers to over 600.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    The last couple trips to the Bay Area (SF, Sunnyvale, Oakland,…) I’ve noticed a flabbergasting number of Asians that are still wearing COVID masks. On buses in SF I could understand a little, but a fair number were outside! Not positive since they had masks on, but based on dress and other cues I’d guess most of them were not born in the US and were probably Chinese.

What’s up with that? Any other cities seeing this, or is it just the Bay Area?

User Tag List