Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Favorite bible verses

46 And Mary said: My soul doth magnify the Lord.
    47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
    48 Because he hath regarded the humility of his handmaid; for behold from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
    49 Because he that is mighty, hath done great things to me; and holy is his name.
    50 And his mercy is from generation unto generations, to them that fear him.
    51 He hath shewed might in his arm: he hath scattered the proud in the conceit of their heart.
    52 He hath put down the mighty from their seat, and hath exalted the humble.
    53 He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away.
    54 He hath received Israel his servant, being mindful of his mercy:
    55 As he spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his seed for ever.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    I think this is good mindset advice:

James 1:19, NIV: My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,

(Good advice for posting on the internet, too.)

Matthew 10:23
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Jed View Post
    This verse nearly knocked me over the first time I read it. The simplicity and clarity of it continues to have a significant impact on me. Whenever I'm overwhelmed with life, this verse resets my compass.

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” --- Micah 6:8
    I really like this one and never remember reading it, although I surely must have, at some point.

I'm not Christian, but was raised by and among Christians. I feel an attachment to this one:

"Greater love hath no man than this: that a man lay down his life for his friends." - John 15:13
    Hamilton certainly should have been working on his dry fire. - idahojess

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus
    I saw Satan fall like lightning from the sky.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-03-2022 at 11:30 AM.

Matthew 25:40:
    The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
    Very important verse. According to Matthew, Jesus said this and its the key to paradise. Charity.

PS:
    wikiwand.com/en/Charity_(Christian_virtue):
    In Christian theology, charity (Latin: caritas) is considered one of the seven virtues and was understood by Thomas Aquinas as "the friendship of man for God", which "unites us to God". He holds it as "the most excellent of the virtues". Aquinas further holds that "the habit of charity extends not only to the love of God, but also to the love of our neighbor".

The Catechism of the Catholic Church defines "charity" as "the theological virtue by which we love God above all things for His own sake, and our neighbor as ourselves for the love of God".
    The parable of the good Samaritan explains very well to me what charity is.
    Last edited by P30; 05-23-2024 at 05:22 AM.

In the ancient Greek original of the Hymn of Love (1 Corinthians 13) the word "agape" is used for charity. This hymn is a very early and the most popular mention of the 3 theological virtues (according to German wikipedia). Sometimes when listing the virtues, it's translated as "love". But that's not as specific as charity.

Just found this great text while trying to understand the different terms in English and ancient Greek. It's about the charity of Jesus for all humans.

gotquestions.org/agape-love.html:
    Agape love is always shown by what it does. God’s love is displayed most clearly at the cross. “God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved” (Ephesians 2:4–5, ESV). We did not deserve such a sacrifice, “but God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us” (Romans 5:8). God’s agape love is unmerited, gracious, and constantly seeking the benefit of the ones He loves. The Bible says we are the undeserving recipients of His lavish agape love (1 John 3:1). God’s demonstration of agape love led to the sacrifice of the Son of God for those He loves.
    Now I see the cross as a symbol for the charity of Jesus. Before, I saw it more as a reminder of the pain that Jesus took. But he voluntarily took the pain and died on the cross because he loves us and wants to save us.
    Last edited by P30; 05-23-2024 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    In the ancient Greek original of the Hymn of Love (1 Corinthians 13) the word "agape" is used for charity. This hymn is a very early and the most popular mention of the 3 theological virtues (according to German wikipedia). Sometimes when listing the virtues, it's translated as "love". But that's not as specific as charity.

Just found this great text while trying to understand the different terms in English and ancient Greek. It's about the charity of Jesus for all humans.

gotquestions.org/agape-love.html:

Now I see the cross as a symbol for the charity of Jesus. Before, I saw it more as a reminder of the pain that Jesus took. But he voluntarily took the pain and died on the cross because he loves us and wants to save us.
    Agape love is an attribute of God, and is largely absent from imperfect humans. I am not sure in the strictest sense it is even possible among us. We are much more likely to be put into one of the other definitions, Eros, Philia, or Storge.

Four unique forms of love are found in Scripture. They are communicated through four Greek words (Eros, Storge, Philia, and Agape) and are characterized by romantic love, family love, brotherly love, and God's divine love. We'll explore these different types of love in the Bible, and, as we do, we'll discover what love truly means and how to follow Jesus Christ's command to "love one another."

https://www.learnreligions.com/types...0divine%20love.

I like this one because it implies that dogs love Jews:

"Not a dog shall snarl at any of the Israelites…" Exodus 11:7
    https://www.thetorah.com/article/not...of-exodus-11-7
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Whom have in heaven but you? And on earth there is nothing I desire beside you.

Psalm 73

User Tag List