Page 130 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 1316

Thread: Grizzly Bear Defense

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I almost forgot. I was in Homer a year ago. We went to get lunch in town and watched a cow moose running down the side of the main road in town like it was out for a jog. It just needed some AirPods and spandex. We stayed in the truck until it was well down the road.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/wild...-troopers-say/

Homer man killed in moose attack was trying to photograph calves, troopers say
    A Homer man who died Sunday after being injured by a cow moose was trying to photograph the moose and two newborn calves, Alaska State Troopers say.

Dale Chorman, 70, was walking with a friend through brush about 100 yards from his home when they were charged just before noon on Sunday, troopers spokesman Austin McDaniel said on Monday. The men were looking for the moose to take photos, he said.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Not the smartest thing to do…
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I've posted this before, but here's a cow and calf who really didn't want to yield the road, on my way to work.

They are indeed very large creatures.

Name:  20200406_065242.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  66.7 KB
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Almost everyone I know in Alaska has a moose story. When my friend was working for Fish and Game, he and another guy got charged in rural Alaska, and climbed a ten inch diameter spruce tree. The two of them were about eight feet in the air, grabbing limbs like two monkeys humping a football. The cow moose stayed at the bottom of the tree over an hour, making threatening noises the whole time. Finally she ambled off, and a newborn calf went darting off. They had never noticed the baby until that moment. Cow moose take the mom thing pretty seriously.

Site Supporter
    I've scared a few moose while I was mountain biking up on the Palouse. I haven't been up there in a few years.

One was a cow with a calf, quite close, in the spring, on a downhill singletrack set of switchbacks in low saplings. That was interesting.

Moose don't really stay on the singletrack... they sort of go over everything, or through it.
    The last one I saw up there was a bull moose sunning himself in the middle of the logging road, in the fall (probably during the rut?). He stood up in a cloud of dust and looked at us. He seemed awfully close; maybe 25 yards. We went the other way.

Detailed and graphic on grizzly attack in WY:

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/the_h...6f2e3a4f1.html

Name:  IMG_8409.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  26.8 KB

Detailed and graphic on grizzly attack in WY:

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/the_h...6f2e3a4f1.html

Name:  IMG_8409.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  26.8 KB
    Damn, he took that like a champ.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Damn, he took that like a champ.
    What is ironic is what stopped the attack was the bear bit down on his can of bear spray.

What is ironic is what stopped the attack was the bear bit down on his can of bear spray.
    Better to be lucky than good sometimes.

I think I will stick with relying on my Glock (or other handgun) as my primary means of defense.

While I tend to have a big can of bear spray with me, it is intended more for curious bears than full on bear charges.

User Tag List