Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Streamlight TLR-7 HL-X (throw-oriented TLR-7)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If you read the specs on the new light it takes either a rechargeable Li-ion battery or CR-123s with the Li battery doubling the performance. Even with CR-123s it provides improved performance (essentially double the candela) vs the earlier TLR7.

A lot of LE agencies are looking at smaller form factor lights for duty guns due to weight bulk and minimizing the need for larger openings on duty holsters to accommodate traditional WML.
    The smaller opening around the trigger guard for the TLR sized lights is an often overlooked huge advantage IMO. I had an ALS for a G19/TLR7 and there was no way anything was getting anywhere near the trigger. Can't say the same for the X300 holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Except it's going to be a while after Modlite eventually starts shipping them before holsters for something other than a G19 will be available. TLR-7 holsters are available for a wide variety of pistols and a minute with a heat gun will allow this new head to fit.
    We all know it will take time for PL350c holsters to come out once the light is released and I addressed the ease of modding existing TLR-7 holsters and molds. I'd rather wait for the light with better output and holsters for said light than buy this new 7 because of "gotta have it now" syndrome.

If you read the specs on the new light it takes either a rechargeable Li-ion battery or CR-123s with the Li battery doubling the performance. Even with CR-123s it provides improved performance (essentially double the candela) vs the earlier TLR7.

A lot of LE agencies are looking at smaller form factor lights for duty guns due to weight bulk and minimizing the need for larger openings on duty holsters to accommodate traditional WML.

My statement about output was made with the rechargeable specs in mind. The Modlite is still going to be a better light for marginal at this point size increase and isn't going to use what I imagine is a proprietary battery that will only be sourcable from Streamlight.

And yeah, a lot of agencies, including all of the ones I've worked for in the past, are looking for smaller lights. Like I said, it's still going to take them and more importantly, federal agencies to move past CR123s and figure out the logistics of supplying chargers and 18350s. That upfront cost compared to what they've been paying for bulk CR123s, along with buying new lights are going to play right into institutional inertia and greatly delay the pace of adoption by large agencies.

Until their biggest customers are willing to spend the money to upgrade, Streamlight and SF aren't going to provide us as civilians, which aren't their primary focus, better lights with more output and runtime in the smaller form factor we want.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    The smaller opening around the trigger guard for the TLR sized lights is an often overlooked huge advantage IMO. I had an ALS for a G19/TLR7 and there was no way anything was getting anywhere near the trigger. Can't say the same for the X300 holsters.
    I agree with you 1000% here. On an ALS, is the holster opening the same with or without a TLR7? In other words, how big is the gap?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre3 View Post
    We all know it will take time for PL350c holsters to come out once the light is released and I addressed the ease of modding existing TLR-7 holsters and molds. I'd rather wait for the light with better output and holsters for said light than buy this new 7 because of "gotta have it now" syndrome.

My statement about output was made with the rechargeable specs in mind. The Modlite is still going to be a better light for marginal at this point size increase and isn't going to use what I imagine is a proprietary battery that will only be sourcable from Streamlight.

And yeah, a lot of agencies, including all of the ones I've worked for in the past, are looking for smaller lights. Like I said, it's still going to take them and more importantly, federal agencies to move past CR123s and figure out the logistics of supplying chargers and 18350s. That upfront cost compared to what they've been paying for bulk CR123s, along with buying new lights are going to play right into institutional inertia and greatly delay the pace of adoption by large agencies.

Until their biggest customers are willing to spend the money to upgrade, Streamlight and SF aren't going to provide us as civilians, which aren't their primary focus, better lights with more output and runtime in the smaller form factor we want.
    The logistics of federal LE agencies don’t work that way. In federal agencies individual offices buy consumables like 123s on purchase cards from a variety of approved vendors.

Buying chargers and rechargeable batteries along with new lights is not an issue as long as you are buying them as a system or package from one vendor. The real problem with that would be writing the requirement, such that some admin person can’t decide you only need one rechargeable battery instead of the three you actually need to make rechargeables work (one in use, one charged /ready and one charging).

The real issue is that buying 5,000, 15,000, or 40,000 WML Is not a trivial process. What you would see in most federal agencies is an in-line transition where new people get the new lights as they come on board rather than a wholesale transition.

We’ll see what Modlite actually delivers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I agree with you 1000% here. On an ALS, is the holster opening the same with or without a TLR7? In other words, how big is the gap?
    It's pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre3 View Post
    it's getting close to the size range of the upcoming PL350c that will have better output, a better battery, and is a similar width to the TLR-7.
    I got to handle/fondle/shoot with a prototype PL350C. General size is good and the output is Modlite. The prototype I messed with had the same terrible switch that's on the full size 350. I think I'd take the TLR-7 based on switch alone.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I got to handle/fondle/shoot with a prototype PL350C. General size is good and the output is Modlite. The prototype I messed with had the same terrible switch that's on the full size 350. I think I'd take the TLR-7 based on switch alone.

I'm more interested in just the head for a slimmer pocketable handheld.

The HLX light head can be installed on any TLR7 or RM light and boost the candela. They have a SKU for the HLX head only but it hasn’t been available yet.
    This is relevant to my interests... really curious If my JMCK holsters will work with these without mods. The bezel looks slimmer than the original TLR-7... if it's truly a "drop in" upgrade and holster compatible, this will be mighty tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post

A lot of people will probably go with tlr7 based on the debacle of modlite pl350 when it first came out

The HLX light head can be installed on any TLR7 or RM light and boost the candela. They have a SKU for the HLX head only but it hasn’t been available yet.
    https://www.batteryjunction.com/streamlight-69449

User Tag List