Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suppressors - Where to Start

My question to OP: What are you going to shoot most?

Buy something to support that caliber/type of shooting.

For example, I shoot my 5.56 carbine standing, moving, close ranges etc. I don't want a long quiet can or something heavy, I want short and light. I'm wearing plugs and muffs always.

My first can was a 9.25" ti 30cal. It turns my SBR into a musket. I have not used it in years. 300BLK subs were cool. But too expensive to shoot a lot.

45ACP can, literally shot a few times on a handgun. Lame. Lives on a MP5, which is awesome.

22 can was used a lot when I had a range at home. Moved. Haven't shot it in long time.

Edit: Having land and not annoying neighbors was my reason to get suppressors. Now that I have moved, they are not used as much. There is value in a HD role, but you just need to be able to access it. Like a specific handgun+suppressors bedside safe. It's hard to have long guns laying around with kids.

I will say that shooting 22s at night with lights was a lot of fun. It not something most folks can do all the time. I do miss the 22 pistol suppressed.

I should sell my 30cal and get what I want, something cheap/light like the YHM K can. This 30cal would be a great suppressor for hunting... which I don't do.
    Last edited by rayrevolver; 05-20-2024 at 12:14 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    My question to OP: What are you going to shoot most?

Buy something to support that caliber/type of shooting.

For example, I shoot my 5.56 carbine standing, moving, close ranges etc. I don't want a long quiet can or something heavy, I want short and light. I'm wearing plugs and muffs always.

My first can was a 9.25" ti 30cal. It turns my SBR into a musket. I have not used it in years. 300BLK subs were cool. But too expensive to shoot a lot.

45ACP can, literally shot a few times on a handgun. Lame. Lives on a MP5, which is awesome.

22 can was used a lot when I had a range at home. Moved. Haven't shot it in long time.

Edit: Having land and not annoying neighbors was my reason to get suppressors. Now that I have moved, they are not used as much. There is value in a HD role, but you just need to be able to access it. Like a specific handgun+suppressors bedside safe. It's hard to have long guns laying around with kids.

I will say that shooting 22s at night with lights was a lot of fun. It not something most folks can do all the time. I do miss the 22 pistol suppressed.

I should sell my 30cal and get what I want, something cheap/light like the YHM K can. This 30cal would be a great suppressor for hunting... which I don't do.
    Frankly, 95%+ of my shooting is defensive pistol driven, so mostly from the holster. 5.56 is next. We’ve got a few acres and I can shoot pistol and shotgun with no problem, but rifle is limited to about 50 yards. We, as a family, haven’t shot a lot of .22 in several years, but at this point I’m leaning toward making that the first because they are lower cost and gives me a way to get my feet wet.

What's the easiest site to order from? Shipped to my door would be nice.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    The only two that I'm aware of that ship directly to your door are either silencer Central, or Capital Armory. There certainly could more that I am not aware of.

I've had good experiences with capital Armory.

But just be forewarned, there are some disadvantages to that approach. Once your form 4 is approved by the ATF you're looking at roughly 2 to 3 weeks maybe even a little longer before you'll actually have the suppressor at your doorstep.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    The only two that I'm aware of that ship directly to your door are either silencer Central, or Capital Armory. There certainly could more that I am not aware of.

I've had good experiences with capital Armory.

But just be forewarned, there are some disadvantages to that approach. Once your form 4 is approved by the ATF you're looking at roughly 2 to 3 weeks maybe even a little longer before you'll actually have the suppressor at your doorstep.
    Silencer Central doesn't have a great reputation. While their higher prices tend to mean they have particular cans in stock that nobody else has, they can still be a pain to deal with especially if anything goes wrong.

Also, while n=2, both Banish series cans I've seen fired in person didn't impress me, especially for their respective price points.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I have only used Capital Armory, they’ve been great. The other big shop that shall not be named has a bad reputation from what I can tell.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Silencer Central doesn't have a great reputation. While their higher prices tend to mean they have particular cans in stock that nobody else has, they can still be a pain to deal with especially if anything goes wrong.

Also, while n=2, both Banish series cans I've seen fired in person didn't impress me, especially for their respective price points.

Good to know. I've never purchased anything from them. They've never really had anything I wanted in stock. Between Capital Armory and my local dealers my needs have been met so far.

Site Supporter
    Another vote for Capital Armory. I’ve used them twice now and have had pretty good success. They also keep your stuff efiled so once they have your picture and fingerprints, you won’t have to do it again for any future purchases. My first purchase was from them, my second was from Griffin Armament (it was cheaper than the CA website), through CA. Because they had my stuff on file, my eform was already certified and filed with the ATF 2 days before the suppressor was delivered to CA.

I only live about an hour’s drive from CA so I don’t have it delivered to my door, the shipping price and any delays on getting it shipped out are worth the drive to me. I don’t know if every CA location has that issue or only certain ones, but I have heard it happening too. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Not HighSpeed View Post
    Another vote for Capital Armory. I’ve used them twice now and have had pretty good success. They also keep your stuff efiled so once they have your picture and fingerprints, you won’t have to do it again for any future purchases. My first purchase was from them, my second was from Griffin Armament (it was cheaper than the CA website), through CA. Because they had my stuff on file, my eform was already certified and filed with the ATF 2 days before the suppressor was delivered to CA.

I only live about an hour’s drive from CA so I don’t have it delivered to my door, the shipping price and any delays on getting it shipped out are worth the drive to me. I don’t know if every CA location has that issue or only certain ones, but I have heard it happening too. YMMV.

Oh man, if I lived only an hour away from there that could be quite dangerous for my bank account balance!

I don't know that the delays are capital armory's fault at all. Most if not all of it is due to the whole non-over-the-counter purchase legalities.

You still have to do a 4473, but it's online. Then it may take a day or so for someone to look at it and verify that you did everything correctly. Then they have to mail a physical copy to your local Cleo and it has to go by certified mail. When I first started it typically took about 3 days to get certified mail from Texas to North carolina. Nowadays it seems to be taking closer to seven sometimes a little over. That's certainly not a capital Armory problem. Then the Cleo gets to wait an entire week to decide whether or not to file an objection or not.

I'm not sure how much of that is federal law versus state law.

Then they've got to ship your item from the Texas store to the store local to your state and then it's got to get shipped from that store to your house. Always a little room for a day or so delay every time something happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Not HighSpeed View Post

I’m about an hour away from them too, so with one exception I’ve driven down for pickup. (It gives me a chance to stop at Ziggy’s for frozen perogi, too.)

I didn’t realize they could do transfers from other sellers! Do you remember their pricing?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List