Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to Select Proper Recoil Spring - From Cajun Gunworks...

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Thanks, CF. Digging into it now.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by RealSelf View Post
    Now this is what I feel is an interesting find, it certainly makes sense reading through but I can't say I've ever read anyone else outlining this sort of guideline. Most I've seen written has said that heavier bullets need heavier recoil springs, maybe not so simple as that but definitely a factor. Seems 6-8 feet ejection distance is what determines the proper recoil spring weight. Is anybody else here testing ammo/recoil spring combo's in this way to match their given loads they are typically using?

https://cajungunworks.com/how-to-sel...recoil-spring/
    This is pretty much what John Harrison taught me about twenty years ago on selecting recoil springs for 1911-pattern pistols when he built my 9x23. The goal is consistent ejection without beating the gun to pieces. Ejection distance too short means the spring is too much for when the gun is dirty or grip not optimal. Too far means more spring can be used. I find it very useful with 1911-pattern pistols chambered in 9x19. My SA guns run, for the same load, with heavier springs than my STI guns, but eject very similarly. The SA guns get 12# springs; the STI guns get 10#.

After reading your thread, I have spent the last few days ferreting out the issues discussed earlier.

Eventually, I managed to get the Glock 20SF to fire 100 ''trouble free'' rounds.

This required going to a Wolff 24 lb-f recoil spring, extra power +10% magazine springs, and sticking with a 6.0 lb-f striker spring.

I also discovered the value of a firm (but not bone-crushing) grip in giving the frame enough resistance (inertia) to work against.

Another 100 rounds (180-grain XTPs at 1,285 fps) to be fired this afternoon. If no other issues arise, I'm going to call it ''good''.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    After reading your thread, I have spent the last few days ferreting out the issues discussed earlier.

Eventually, I managed to get the Glock 20SF to fire 100 ''trouble free'' rounds.

This required going to a Wolff 24 lb-f recoil spring, extra power +10% magazine springs, and sticking with a 6.0 lb-f striker spring.

I also discovered the value of a firm (but not bone-crushing) grip in giving the frame enough resistance (inertia) to work against.

Another 100 rounds (180-grain XTPs at 1,285 fps) to be fired this afternoon. If no other issues arise, I'm going to call it ''good''.
    Awesome. Because my G20.4/Acro is critical life safety equipment, I tested it with a weak single handed grip.

I am confident that mag spring weight is the most important factor. The 460Rowland mag springs are much stiffer than +10%. New, they allow 13+1 in a 10mm Glock mag. After break-in, I get 14+1.

A heavy recoil spring reduces battering of the gun, and makes recoil more manageable--but also likely reduces reliability because of increased slide velocity.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Awesome. Because my G20.4/Acro is critical life safety equipment, I tested it with a weak single handed grip.

I am confident that mag spring weight is the most important factor. The 460Rowland mag springs are much stiffer than +10%. New, they allow 13+1 in a 10mm Glock mag. After break-in, I get 14+1.

A heavy recoil spring reduces battering of the gun, and makes recoil more manageable--but also likely reduces reliability because of increased slide velocity.
    Reliability with single-handed operation required that I move to a 24# recoil spring, but also required the use of the extra power magazine spring to get there. Mag capacity was reduced by one, much like you experienced, and I will be eatching to see if some softening of the spring over time and use allows loading of a 15th round down the road. Even if it doesn't, I am satisfied with what I have now. Barring the emergence of additional problems, I plan on using this as a dedicated carry option and will use it for my next LEOSA2004 annual qualification.

Reliability with single-handed operation required that I move to a 24# recoil spring, but also required the use of the extra power magazine spring to get there. Mag capacity was reduced by one, much like you experienced, and I will be eatching to see if some softening of the spring over time and use allows loading of a 15th round down the road. Even if it doesn't, I am satisfied with what I have now. Barring the emergence of additional problems, I plan on using this as a dedicated carry option and will use it for my next LEOSA2004 annual qualification.
    Did you use Wolff mag springs? If so, which?

https://www.gunsprings.com/GLOCK+[emoji2400]/All+Models/cID1/mID5/dID116#148

Did you use Wolff mag springs? If so, which?

https://www.gunsprings.com/GLOCK+[emoji2400]/All+Models/cID1/mID5/dID116#148
    Yes, all replacement springs were sourced from Wolff.

The mag springs that I used were the Wolff 10% extra power springs. Got the package of ten 'cause I have many magazines.

Yes, all replacement springs were sourced from Wolff.

The mag springs that I used were the Wolff 10% extra power springs. Got the package of ten 'cause I have many magazines.
    75384 for G21.4 or 75274 for G17,20, etc. ?

75384 for G21.4 or 75274 for G17,20, etc. ?
    Oh, I see what you're getting at.

My pistol is a G20SF, so I got the single extra-power spring unit for Gen 3 RSA.

User Tag List