Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Texas power outages 051624

I got hurricane-level rain for about an hour last night, but no power outage, which was strange because usually my power will go out if a butterfly sneezes.

The NWS has determined that it was a tornado in the Cypress area, where we have seen the twisted and toppled power line towers.

It is interesting to see and hear the statements of folks who say they have never seen anything like this. Often, those statements include indications or direct statements that they are relative newcomers to this part of Texas. I have been here on the Texas Coastal Prairie, my entire life. This was a fierce spring storm, unusual, but not unprecedented, in its ferocity. Some of the places that received quite the pounding were farmland, ranch land, or simply undeveloped land, for much of my living memory. Recently, developers have been trying to pave the planet, moving outward from the Houston metro area, including the areas to the west and northwest of Houston that have long been well-known as anvils, upon which the spring storms hammer the earth.

It ain’t “climate change.” It is Climate, Unchanged.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    For those in the Houston metroplex area, you should definitely be following these guys;
    Thanks for sharing this.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

We have some peeps in Huston. They lost part of their fence and a tree, but other than lost power they're okay. She's a native Texan and he's a Kansas native, so from them it's no big deal.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    The NWS has determined that it was a tornado in the Cypress area, where we have seen the twisted and toppled power line towers.

It is interesting to see and hear the statements of folks who say they have never seen anything like this. Often, those statements include indications or direct statements that they are relative newcomers to this part of Texas. I have been here on the Texas Coastal Prairie, my entire life. This was a fierce spring storm, unusual, but not unprecedented, in its ferocity. Some of the places that received quite the pounding were farmland, ranch land, or simply undeveloped land, for much of my living memory. Recently, developers have been trying to pave the planet, moving outward from the Houston metro area, including the areas to the west and northwest of Houston that have long been well-known as anvils, upon which the spring storms hammer the earth.

It ain’t “climate change.” It is Climate, Unchanged.
    Didn’t they use to call these storms “northers” or something like that?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Didn’t they use to call these storms “northers” or something like that?
    A “norther” is simply a cold front. A “blue norther” is a strong cold front, that clears the skies, and gets us really cold. Well, at least in this part of Texas. Texas is large enough to have five to seven different accents/dialects and cultures.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Texas power outages 051624
    Without delimiters (5/16/24) I thought that was a counter of some sort-- Texas power outage 51,624-- and figured "yeah that seems about right."

Hopefully they get it sorted. Surprisingly no loss further inland. Around here if there's a good stiff breeze it'll go out for a few minutes.

User Tag List