Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Select Proper Recoil Spring - From Cajun Gunworks...

How to Select Proper Recoil Spring - From Cajun Gunworks...

Now this is what I feel is an interesting find, it certainly makes sense reading through but I can't say I've ever read anyone else outlining this sort of guideline. Most I've seen written has said that heavier bullets need heavier recoil springs, maybe not so simple as that but definitely a factor. Seems 6-8 feet ejection distance is what determines the proper recoil spring weight. Is anybody else here testing ammo/recoil spring combo's in this way to match their given loads they are typically using?

https://cajungunworks.com/how-to-sel...recoil-spring/

Quote Originally Posted by RealSelf View Post
    Now this is what I feel is an interesting find, it certainly makes sense reading through but I can't say I've ever read anyone else outlining this sort of guideline. Most I've seen written has said that heavier bullets need heavier recoil springs, maybe not so simple as that but definitely a factor. Seems 6-8 feet ejection distance is what determines the proper recoil spring weight. Is anybody else here testing ammo/recoil spring combo's in this way to match their given loads they are typically using?

https://cajungunworks.com/how-to-sel...recoil-spring/
    It's good to repeat this information for the shooters who have never heard. Competition shooters have been doing this for a long time.

can anyone shed some light on how they arrived at 6-8 ft ejection as desirable?

Quote Originally Posted by heyyouduh View Post
    No clue but I did just read on the website for Wolff Springs something similar, though not quite the same as they seem to use that 6-8 ft. range as more of the cutoff point beyond ideal than the actual ideal. They say 3-6 ft. is ideal though, so I'd be curious also where this may have originated as a general concept.

"As a rule of thumb, if your spent casings are first hitting the ground in the 3 to 6 foot range, then the recoil spring is approximately correct. If you are ejecting beyond the 6-8 foot range, then a heavier recoil spring is generally required. If your casings are ejecting less than 3 feet, a lighter recoil spring may be needed to assure reliable functioning"

https://www.gunsprings.com/index.php...FAQ#question30

Quote Originally Posted by heyyouduh View Post
    Competition shooters have been experimenting and talking about it here.

https://forums.brianenos.com/forum/28-gun-springs/

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Competition shooters have been experimenting and talking about it here.

https://forums.brianenos.com/forum/28-gun-springs/
    Hmmm.

That is interesting. I've got a Glock 20SF that is giving me fits. That discussion helps. Thanks.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Hmmm.

That is interesting. I've got a Glock 20SF that is giving me fits. That discussion helps. Thanks.
    What are you observing with that 20SF?

Quote Originally Posted by RealSelf View Post
    What are you observing with that 20SF?
    At the risk of thread hijack, for which I do apologize, I've experienced far too frequent failures to return to battery even though I've increased the rating of the recoil spring from factory (17 lb-f) to 19 lb-f over an uncaptured steel guide.

The current arrangement passes the recoil spring 'test' described in the Glock Armorer's Manual where the slide is retracted and hand-cycled to just shy of full battery at a 45° angle and allowed to move forward the remaining few millimeters into full battery under its own power. The weak primer strikes that were occurring have been largely eliminated with an ''extra power'' striker spring, but the FTRTB still occurs about once in full 15-round magazine.

All loads are full power 10mm— 180s at 1,250 - 1,275 fps and have about 200 rounds through the pistol at this point.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

At the risk of thread hijack, for which I do apologize, I've experienced far too frequent failures to return to battery even though I've increased the rating of the recoil spring from factory (17 lb-f) to 19 lb-f over an uncaptured steel guide.

The current arrangement passes the recoil spring 'test' described in the Glock Armorer's Manual where the slide is retracted and hand-cycled to just shy of full battery at a 45° angle and allowed to move forward the remaining few millimeters into full battery under its own power. The weak primer strikes that were occurring have been largely eliminated with an ''extra power'' striker spring, but the FTRTB still occurs about once in full 15-round magazine.

All loads are full power 10mm— 180s at 1,250 - 1,275 fps and have about 200 rounds through the pistol at this point.
    Any chance your OAL and/or bullet is allowing the projectile to contact the leade resulting in the occasional failure to go completely into battery?

We had an officer come through training with a Glock31 in .357 Sig. When his agency called to see if we furnished training ammo for that caliber our armorer told them no, but explained that you could get a conversion barrel. Generally folks simply get a .40 barrel, but this guy got a Lone Wolf 9mm which exhibited the same RTB problem you describe with our 9mm training ammo.

At the time our vendor was using Montana Gold bullets but had been unable to get enough of them so had given us an order with different bullets. The ogives were definitely different than the Montana Golds we usually got. We gathered up enough old stuff tuff with the Montana Gold bullet for this guy and no more problems.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

I’m in the boondocks so can’t comment in detail. I started a thread on 10mm Glock issues, and how extra power mag springs seem to help.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List