Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bass Amp Thoughts

One of these years, I'll probably build a B-15 or something similar. The tricky bit is that the transformers are super spendy.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I just pulled the trigger on the GK MB micro-combo- the one with the built in chorus*. The deciding factor is that I actually do need something small & portable, but also sounds good.

*Chorus is pretty much a must for fretless.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

And it's here. Wow- for such a little thing, it's pretty loud. But it sounds pretty good. This was the way to go.

Name:  GK150.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  42.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    And it's here. Wow- for such a little thing, it's pretty loud. But it sounds pretty good. This was the way to go.

Name:  GK150.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  42.2 KB
    You have an XL5? Jelly.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    You have an XL5? Jelly.
    A mere XL2 4 string- but an XL5 in white is on my lotto list.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A mere XL2 4 string- but an XL5 in white is on my lotto list.
    Shadow fooled me. Still, an XL2 is an amazing bass. Back in the day I had to decide between one and a newer car. Practicality won out.

I had an XM2A for a few years until I converted to fivers, but I’ve kept that headless itch scratched. I have two Synapses (fretted and fretless,) a Kiesel AW5 and several Ibanez fanned frets that have become my main players for the same hand and wrist angle pain issues that have driven me away from Glock.

Name:  IMG_5192.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  32.6 KB

None have that amazing XL tone. Still jelly.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

I traded a Ric 4003 for it in 1995, back when both were worth about $800. I still consider it to be my main bass.

It was seeing and hearing an XL2 at a concert that turned me on to playing bass- the Resurrection Band at Disney back in 1989 if I recall correctly.

I started on bass in middle school via a short stint on DB ca. 1974-75. That only lasted a semester, but because of it I started playing in a friend’s garage. My family didn't have enough money for me to have my own bass, but his father was a great guy and let me play his - a 4001 and a Guild Starfire.

When I got back into playing bass in the late 90s I lusted after a Ric like his and soon found a well worn Azureglo ‘80 4001. I played that heavily until I made the move to fivers about ten years later, I tried it BEAD but was always waiting for the fretboard to fly off. I was Ricless for a long time until I picked up a 4003S/5W (the walnut Dorito fiver) and now a Fireglo one, too.

Too many basses…
    Ken

Joe, for extra goodness try and score the dedicated extension cab for the G-K. It makes for a potent package!
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Joe, for extra goodness try and score the dedicated extension cab for the G-K. It makes for a potent package!
    Happily, it plays nice with my Ampeg 15" cab if I want some more boom.

User Tag List