Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17L Gen 5 - its happening

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    I've always been told they are called lightning cuts, but I like this better, phrasing and all that jazz.
    They are definitely officially called lightning cuts but they always remind me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8ASgGwxJyc

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    The 34 has cuts along the striker as well as the left hand side of the wall of the slide along the chamber.
    Yeah, but IIRC they aren't as deep. The 17L had those cuts already on the gen 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    Glock isn't restricted in RSA selection as they were with Gen 3 pistols. The G17L.1-3 uses the same RSA as a G17.1-3 or G22.2-3 or G34.3 (ad nauseam) so the weight of the G17L.3 slide had to work with internal ballistics of the 6" barrel and a RSA that was tuned for a different setup, hence the extreme lightning cuts inside and out. Early in the days of the Gen 4 pistols they found out that the 'one RSA too rule them all' was a failure and adjusted accordingly.

I can also attest that the G17L.3s I have fired did not like lower powered factory ammo - I have watched casings dance on top of the slide because there was not enough oomph to clear the weapon properly. I was always hoping one would drop into the slide lightning cut......

Now, to see if the G17L.5 has a unique RSA will be neat.
    I remember the 0-1 and 0-1-2 RSA thing when the 4s first came out. I was under the impression that 17s and 34s still used the same RSAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    Yeah, but IIRC they aren't as deep. The 17L had those cuts already on the gen 3.

I remember the 0-1 and 0-1-2 RSA thing when the 4s first came out. I was under the impression that 17s and 34s still used the same RSAs.
    Yep, the 17 and 34 use the same RSA (1-3 for Gen5, 0-2-4 for Gen 4, and 5579-1 for Gen 1-3). Caveat here: those Gen4/5 part numbers may be outdated as my info is based on the Glock order form from 2/8/2023.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I'm not so sure I want to buy one of the new gen5 17L's. But I definitely wouldn't mind spending a day with one one the range.
    Same thoughts as you; I s'pose that I need to be "convinced" that this is one that I want/need*.

Those damned forward serrations though! Ugh.

Are we still doing the Cooper 'press check'?

Asking 'cause I am outta touch.

*there's no difference between the two terms for me these days.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

So they can do this goofball of a gun but they can't release the Acro-cut MOS versions to the public?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    My preference would be for a non-MOS version (and the Glock 34 too).
    Agreed. I would already have ordered one if it were non-MOS. A big part of the appeal of the 17L, and why I like my Gen3, is the long sight radius. This MOS version just makes it harder to put a good rear sight on it without overhang, and adds a plate and screws I have no use for.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    Agreed. I would already have ordered one if it were non-MOS. A big part of the appeal of the 17L, and why I like my Gen3, is the long sight radius. This MOS version just makes it harder to put a good rear sight on it without overhang, and adds a plate and screws I have no use for.
    Like you're reading my mind...
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    I wonder if these will have the "speed hole" in the top of the slide or if the'll be like the Gen 5 G34's?
    No lightening cut.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    So they can do this goofball of a gun but they can't release the Acro-cut MOS versions to the public?
    Austrians, man. What you want is not what you really need.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    No lightening cut.

Instead, it uses a removable polymer 'nose cover' that the spring presses into...not really excited about that choice. Seems like if that plastic part breaks the gun is DOA, seemingly more of a concern then dirt getting into the lightening cut.

User Tag List