Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Armory - Where's The Love?

Site Supporter

Springfield Armory - Where's The Love?

On a number of threads I've read recently (some of them are older but new to me) I get the feeling Springfield Armory has fallen out of favor with the cognoscenti on the Pistol-Forum. Don't know when this started but they don't seem to be held in high regard by many. Despite all that I bought one recently and so far I like it a lot.

All this stems from my physical disabilities and my inability to perform the full manual of arms for semi-automatic handguns. After almost 50 years of carrying semi autos, most of which were one model or other of 1911s then later Glocks and most chambered for the 45 ACP cartridge, I found I could no longer manage the slides properly. After months of frustration I switched back to what I started my LEO career with, DA revolvers. Been doing that for 5-6 years now but of late I've had trouble with my DA trigger control, particularly at anything like defensive speed.

I have longed for the crisp, clean breaking trigger of a 1911 for some time but considered it out of the question until a man from my church showed me his 9mm 1911s (Colt and Dan Wesson). Much to my surprise and delight I could perform the complete manual of arms with both guns, largely because of the lighter recoil springs of the 9mm guns. They were steel Government Model size pistols, to big and heavy for even my man-purse so I've been on the look for am alloy framed Commander size 9mm 1911. I finally ran across one about 10 days ago and to my delight I could handle it just fine, to and including locking the slide open with ease. That's something I haven't been able to do with any of my 45 ACP guns for a long time.

The gun in question is a Springfield Armory Ronin 9mm Commander (4.25"). Yes, a dreaded SA 1911 pattern pistol. How could I you ask. Well...I like the little gun. At least it seems little compared to some of the revolvers I've been trying to shoot lately. So far not a single problem with the Ronin shooting both American Eagle 147g FMJ-FPs and some of my old stash of Winchester Ranger 147g JHPs. I know, those are very out of date and not nearly as effective as the latest Hot n' Cold Running, Bells & Whistles, Wizz Bang, Super Zots whatch-a-ma-call-its. But the Rangers used to be touted as stopping' bad guys an I'm hoping if I have to use them for real (God forbid) it will be an old bad guy from back when they worked.

So there you have it. I bought a SA 1911 Commander and so far it works with my out of date ammunition. Some folks just don't know no better.

With tongue firmly planted in cheek,
    Dave

Site Supporter
    The Springfield Armory guns I have owned and examined recently have been of very good build and parts quality. Especially the TRP and Operator lines are very solid guns in my opinion. I have stated such in multiple threads here.

Springfield Armory has been in the 1911 game for probably 45 years and has had its share of ups and downs. But current guns are pretty solid. I think both Hilton Yam and Joe Chambers have said current frames and slides are the best Springfield has ever sold.

The guns are generally full of MIM parts, which is seen, correctly, as a cost saving measure. However MIM is pretty much like anything else. It can be done well and be successful or it can be done poorly and fail. Will MIM ever be as good as parts machined from tool steel? Probably not. But good MIM is probably 95% of what tool steel would be at a lower production cost.

The prudent approach seems to be to preemptively replace MIM parts such as ignition parts and the slide stop. Others say shoot the gun and replace MIM parts as needed. Either is correct depending on your acceptance/tolerance of risk.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

No issue here with SA. You have a pretty good chance of one working when they leave they factory.

That said, Tisas is giving them a pretty good run for the money.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Generally I think SA makes a fine product, I own two of their 1911s in 45 and have for a decade. Not perfect but they have not given me any problems.

Im happy to hear you have found a solution to your problem and are excited about and able to shoot comfortably again, in the end that’s what really matters.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    On a number of threads I've read recently (some of them are older but new to me) I get the feeling Springfield Armory has fallen out of favor with the cognoscenti on the Pistol-Forum. Don't know when this started but they don't seem to be held in high regard by many. Despite all that I bought one recently and so far I like it a lot.

All this stems from my physical disabilities and my inability to perform the full manual of arms for semi-automatic handguns. After almost 50 years of carrying semi autos, most of which were one model or other of 1911s then later Glocks and most chambered for the 45 ACP cartridge, I found I could no longer manage the slides properly. After months of frustration I switched back to what I started my LEO career with, DA revolvers. Been doing that for 5-6 years now but of late I've had trouble with my DA trigger control, particularly at anything like defensive speed.

I have longed for the crisp, clean breaking trigger of a 1911 for some time but considered it out of the question until a man from my church showed me his 9mm 1911s (Colt and Dan Wesson). Much to my surprise and delight I could perform the complete manual of arms with both guns, largely because of the lighter recoil springs of the 9mm guns. They were steel Government Model size pistols, to big and heavy for even my man-purse so I've been on the look for am alloy framed Commander size 9mm 1911. I finally ran across one about 10 days ago and to my delight I could handle it just fine, to and including locking the slide open with ease. That's something I haven't been able to do with any of my 45 ACP guns for a long time.

The gun in question is a Springfield Armory Ronin 9mm Commander (4.25"). Yes, a dreaded SA 1911 pattern pistol. How could I you ask. Well...I like the little gun. At least it seems little compared to some of the revolvers I've been trying to shoot lately. So far not a single problem with the Ronin shooting both American Eagle 147g FMJ-FPs and some of my old stash of Winchester Ranger 147g JHPs. I know, those are very out of date and not nearly as effective as the latest Hot n' Cold Running, Bells & Whistles, Wizz Bang, Super Zots whatch-a-ma-call-its. But the Rangers used to be touted as stopping' bad guys an I'm hoping if I have to use them for real (God forbid) it will be an old bad guy from back when they worked.

So there you have it. I bought a SA 1911 Commander and so far it works with my out of date ammunition. Some folks just don't know no better.

With tongue firmly planted in cheek,
    Dave
    I call Springfield 1911s the tale of two cities because it is the best of times and it is the worst of times. Literally the best and worst 1911s I’ve ever owned have been Springfields.

Most of their standard 1911s are ok, I’ve had two that were really great out of the box, but I’ve also had some lemons and my experience with Springfield warranty did not live up to the hype. One of the lemons I got was a custom shop limited run for Lipsey’s. In fact, myself and two other PF posters got problematic guns. Two of us got rid of the guns one dumped about the cost of the gun into having a skilled gunsmith make it right because it was a gift from family.

The odds of getting a good one or one that could be made good are good enough that I don’t hesitate to buy a used or new Springfield 1911 but I’m equally quick to dump when I get a lemon.

None of this should be surprising because as an old Texas Ranger once told me when you buy a 1911, you’ve “just bought the kit.”

The 2011 DS tends to be problematic. You can improve it and get it running, but it winds up costing as much as Stacatto and I personally find it a little weird the way the slide, etc. is hollowed out on the inside.

As far as their other products, my late 1990s M1A was far superior to the rack grade actual M14s my legacy agency had in the 1990s.

The Saint AR’s suck. I’ve seen issues with them in all 3 calibers. There are too many good functional AR 15s on the market to bother with these.

The Croatian bullpup they’re importing sucks.

The 2020 Bolt action rifles have been surprisingly good.

The XD, XDM and XDS series sucks. The XDS is probably the best of the 3.

The weird DA/SA version of the XDS had potential but DA/SA is a niche market and it’s discontinued.

I want to like the hellcat and I appreciate them making a factory model with a red dot and a comp, but they have enough issues to make me want to seriously vet one before trusting it for carry.

The new Springfield Echelon is promising. However, like the Beretta APX, it may be a little late to the party.

Site Supporter

I’m rather impressed with my Mil-Spec

It feels solid, tight, dense, refined and… all the things you associate with a quality pistol. Objectively, it feels better made than the 2015ish Colt CCO I had. It also passes that test where remove the slide, put the round in the extractor and shake it. I haven’t put a ton of rounds through it, but no issues in a few hundred. It’s very accurate, has a superb trigger and feels really good to shoot.

Other than that… it’s horrible.

Name:  394FA38B-B872-46E2-A6C4-4841F0090E7A.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  90.8 KBName:  40F03E61-E23C-4323-AE19-70977A734152.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  22.8 KB

I also swapped out the GI beavertail and hammer for Kings #24 and a Fusion commander hammer. Both dropped in, no fitting and both work perfectly. I think the trigger pull actually improved a little, too.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Site Supporter
    Their 1911s are perfectly serviceable, but their plastic pistols seem to be perennially destined for CDNN closeout status along with the rest of the glock killers out there.

No experience with their long guns

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

I’m pretty pleased with my TRP, although I took it to the Larry Vickers 1911 class where we detail stripped them and went over every part. I would have been part of the great 2010 PF 9mm Springfield PX9130LP Loaded debacle, but my dealer couldn’t get me one at the time, although that was a 5 inch gun. The 9mm Commander length is a solid concept, and a lot of people make good ones, it seems to be pretty easy to get one that runs. I wouldn’t not get a Springfield if one presented itself and the price was attractive, I just happen to have other brands and I’m trying to not impulse buy more 1911s.

Name:  IMG_4921.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  29.4 KB

XDME Compact 10mm

Absolutely a wonderful pistol

User Tag List