Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435

Thread: Out The Front (OTF) knives

Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post
    Cluster, what are you thoughts on the bayonet style blade on microtech? It's still double edge but has a flat spot on the back
    Name:  Microtech-Ultratech-SE-Bayo-OTF-Auto-CC-Black-Bronze-Apocalyptic-Serr-121-14AP-BHQ-135891-jr.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  25.1 KB

I like the look. For a defensive knife, it seems good. Those thin D/E blades have really steep grinds, so that makes cutting and sharpening less ideal. I compromised on the full-serrated/smooth D/E.

Name:  MT122-6CC-2__97671.1597767335.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  16.2 KB
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

I like the look. For a defensive knife, it seems good. Those thin D/E blades have really steep grinds, so that makes cutting and sharpening less ideal. I compromised on the full-serrated/smooth D/E.
    I like the idea of D/E in an OTF. I have a Spyderco with a single edge, but I don't have a d/e ... Yet.

I have a question. I want to buy one of these Microtechs for a Christmas Present this guy likes knives but isnt into training.
    Some of the buttons are on the side, some on the edge. Does it make any difference?
    Are all of their knives automatic on retraction?
    Aside from legalities is there any reason to not get a double edge?
    Last edited by UNK; 05-24-2024 at 12:33 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I have a question. I want to buy one of these Microtechs for a Christmas Present this guy likes knives but isnt into training.
    Some of the buttons are on the side, some on the edge. Does it make any difference?
    Switch placement doesn't really make a difference really just comes down to preference and how you hold the knife. I prefer a side button but I'm right handed and some of the knives you can't reverse the pocket clip. The top button is a bit more ambi so it seems to be prefered by lefties for that reason. It also seems to be prefered for a double edged knife so that the switch isn't lined up with the cutting edge so that if your thumb slips you don't slip onto the blade.

A double edge is often more expensive and will be harder to sharpen.

There are double action and single action autos. The double action knives you use the switch to open and close the knife. On a single action OTF it's generally a button and the blade is kept under spring tension the whole time, the button releases the spring shoots the knife out, to close it you need to pull the spring back yourself. Not a microtech but this is a quick video of a single action so you can see what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F664vtmusoE

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Never mind. I found an orange Dirac de and went ahead and got it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    Switch placement doesn't really make a difference really just comes down to preference and how you hold the knife. I prefer a side button but I'm right handed and some of the knives you can't reverse the pocket clip. The top button is a bit more ambi so it seems to be prefered by lefties for that reason. It also seems to be prefered for a double edged knife so that the switch isn't lined up with the cutting edge so that if your thumb slips you don't slip onto the blade.

A double edge is often more expensive and will be harder to sharpen.

There are double action and single action autos. The double action knives you use the switch to open and close the knife. On a single action OTF it's generally a button and the blade is kept under spring tension the whole time, the button releases the spring shoots the knife out, to close it you need to pull the spring back yourself. Not a microtech but this is a quick video of a single action so you can see what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F664vtmusoE
    I think we posted at the same time thanks for the response.

OTF- fidget spinners for dudes.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Out The Front (OTF) knives

Quote Originally Posted by Odin Bravo One View Post
    I'm going to carry my Deadlock today just for you

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-27-2024 at 02:07 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Odin Bravo One View Post
    To be fair you can make a fidget spinner cool by adding blades to it. See the classic 80s movie Krull

Name:  the-glaive.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  34.0 KB

I like edge mounted switches. Im always climbing past or brushing up against stuff and dont want the side mounted switch triggered in my pocket.

User Tag List