Thread: Steve Albini RIP

"You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I played the hell out of this one when it came out.

RIP

While I've heard tons of his work, I only started finding out about him a few years ago. I really appreciated his philosophy of recording engineering.

He had a talent for finding the most appealing characteristics in a band's sound without engineering it into lifelessness.

He was a fascinating guy to hear talk, too. He came across as professional and passionate about what he did but not especially interested in rock stardom.

Site Supporter

One of my luthier buddies played in a regionally successful post punk band in his youth out of Marshall, Minnesota. Albini produced their second album, and said friend had nothing bad to say about the man or his process. He felt that they really did sound their best on that effort.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

A great article he wrote a long time ago: The Problem with Music

WHENEVER I TALK TO A BAND who are about to sign with a major label, I always end up thinking of them in a particular context. I imagine a trench, about four feet wide and five feet deep, maybe sixty yards long, filled with runny, decaying shit. I imagine these people, some of them good friends, some of them barely acquaintances, at one end of this trench. I also imagine a faceless industry lackey at the other end, holding a fountain pen and a contract waiting to be signed.

Nobody can see what’s printed on the contract. It’s too far away, and besides, the shit stench is making everybody’s eyes water. The lackey shouts to everybody that the first one to swim the trench gets to sign the contract. Everybody dives in the trench and they struggle furiously to get to the other end. Two people arrive simultaneously and begin wrestling furiously, clawing each other and dunking each other under the shit. Eventually, one of them capitulates, and there’s only one contestant left. He reaches for the pen, but the Lackey says, “Actually, I think you need a little more development. Swim it again, please. Backstroke.”

And he does, of course.
    I don't think the business has gotten much better since.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A great article he wrote a long time ago: The Problem with Music

I don't think the business has gotten much better since.
    And how would the business be better? And if money weren’t being made would the business exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    And how would the business be better?
    I think it has gotten easier to have a successful career as an Independent artist.

It is very much easier for an artist to produce music and videos on his own if he has control

User Tag List