View Poll Results: What's in your Cylinder? (Multiple Choice allowed 3+1 Categories given)

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • None of my Magnums actually get Magnums anymore

11 16.92%
  • Mid recoil 125 gr Golden Saber

12 18.46%
  • Mid Recoil 125 gr Critical Defense

1 1.54%
  • Full Power 125 gr SJHP

8 12.31%
  • 135 gr Critical Duty

6 9.23%
  • 145 gr Silvertip

15 23.08%
  • 158 gr SJHP

12 18.46%
  • 158 gr Hydrashok

2 3.08%
  • New Kid on the Block 154 gr HST

3 4.62%
  • Something Heavier or Hardcast for Woods/Animal Defense!

11 16.92%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What's your .357 Magnum Carry Ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    This stuff is pretty popular in my house.

170 grain Keith wide nose SWC hard cast.

What are the grips on that revolver? If you don't mind me asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazmatt View Post
    What are the grips on that revolver? If you don't mind me asking.
    They are Herrett's Detectives.

Much appreciated!

Anyone else want to chime in....

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Thank you for your understanding, I hope you don't mind me jumping on this figuring out how to run a Poll.
    While the Silvertips would take care of a large dog/cayote/mountain lion, If I was Moose/Bear type country 154 would be the lowest weight I would go though I am certainly not an expert regarding animal defense. Even cheaper 158 sjhps seem to do rather well as far as deep penetration with mild expansion. The HST looks like it would be a good in and around towns in the NW type of load to do everything.

And, .357 carbines certainly become interesting...where they optimize velocity about 18" so a 16" is pretty close to 20" velocity I believe...158 sjhp or harder jhps...gold dots/xtps/critical duty I am sure all would perform well. I wasn't even thinking the Carbine Category. Has anyone done any Jug testing w/357 carbines? Anything learned there? I have watched a few videos on the subject. Does anyone use a .357 Lever for HD or have it for your wife/kids to use? A 16" is short/handy and lightweight. 20" still pretty much so and a couple more rounds.

And yes, I am sorry for forgetting about the low recoil 135 gr gold dot (suppose the Mild 357s Gold Dot/Golden Saber/Critical Defense could be grouped together), and the 158 Gold Dot could probably be grouped with the 158 HS or other JHPs.
    Sorry to dig up an old post… RE jug testing. No jugs tested, but Chuck Haggard and I HAVE shot 125’s and 158’s through my Rossi and 4 ply denim into Clear Gel. The 125’s upset early and frag but do go 16” while the 158’s traverse the block and are arrested in the trailing denim. I carry 158 hardcast SWC’s in my levers and most of my >40 ounce revos. And I plan for Rule 4 and pick my angle as best as I can to minimize over penetration. If that was a concern, I would go 125 grain SJHP. We also shot an AK with 123 grain Wolf ball and the results were similar, and also arrested in the trailing denim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Sorry to dig up an old post… RE jug testing. No jugs tested, but Chuck Haggard and I HAVE shot 125’s and 158’s through my Rossi and 4 ply denim into Clear Gel. The 125’s upset early and frag but do go 16” while the 158’s traverse the block and are arrested in the trailing denim. I carry 158 hardcast SWC’s in my levers and most of my >40 ounce revos. And I plan for Rule 4 and pick my angle as best as I can to minimize over penetration. If that was a concern, I would go 125 grain SJHP. We also shot an AK with 123 grain Wolf ball and the results were similar, and also arrested in the trailing denim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, I still don't have a levergat but it seems diverse....
    And 125s in city or 158s would do just about anything... HST or Hydrashok or various whatever SJHP or XTPs loaded by whomever at carbine velocities all should do well whatever ammo laying around which would be nice.

Clear Gel isn't very dense, but can you elaborate on the Wolf, did it yaw and damage well or was it a minimal wound.....
    Thanks

User Tag List