Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The forgotten .38 snubby

What exactly is this polycoat? Is it a coating on the lead wadcutter that means it will not lead the barrel the way normal lead wadcutters do?

thanks

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    What exactly is this polycoat? Is it a coating on the lead wadcutter that means it will not lead the barrel the way normal lead wadcutters do?

thanks
    Yup, it’s similar to the old Nyclad. It’s also less smoky when shooting. I load my own practice ammo and I’ve switched to it, once my remaining lubed bullets get used up I’ll be all coated bullets. It even works with higher pressure cartridges like 9x19 and .357 Magnum.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I am currently searching for a snub solution that gives me a hammer to block. I'm paranoid
    Name:  IMG_0103_Original.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  30.0 KB

A 60 with a bobbed hammer may be a solution. I’ve found it’s a great option for me

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Yup, it’s similar to the old Nyclad. It’s also less smoky when shooting. I load my own practice ammo and I’ve switched to it, once my remaining lubed bullets get used up I’ll be all coated bullets. It even works with higher pressure cartridges like 9x19 and .357 Magnum.
    I’ve pretty much gone all coated. I load 148 for snubs and 124’s for 9’s. I find them cheap and accurate

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    SP101s are heavy and bulky compared to steel J-frames, but they are much more pleasant WRT recoil... one can't have one's cake and eat it too. The only snubby still on the property after my Great Revolver Purge ended is a DAO SP101, which has probably been fired a lot more than the average snub simply because:

a. it doesn't pound the crap out of me
    b. it tends to be all I have with me when unplanned plinking opportunities arise.

(Is it an ideal plinker? No... but it is okay in a pinch and I have a built-in excuse when I miss.)

I really need to start using coated wadcutters; the older I get, the less I enjoy cleaning guns, and that SP in particular was born a dirty bird.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I am currently searching for a snub solution that gives me a hammer to block. I'm paranoid
    If one ALWAYS has a flagged thumb, covering the hammer, during the draw, and during reholstering, a modest-sized hammer spur is not an impediment. I am as likely to pocket carry my spurred SP101 and one of my spur-less SP101 fiveguns. The SP101 spur is rather modest in size. S&W J-frames do tend to have higher and raspier spurs, which might be more likely to get in the way, and/or to rasp a hole through the pocket lining.

I am not familiar with Ruger LCR or Taurus hammer spurs.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

A snubbie in 38spl of some sort has been in my carry rotation since the late 70’s .. I wish I owned a few 38’s that I have traded off ..
    Name:  IMG_4210.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  68.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_8247.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  78.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_1375.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  107.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0870.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  105.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_1845.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  45.9 KB

856UL
    85NV
    Model 12
    Model 36

Who said the venerable .38 S&W SPL snub has been forgotten?

I returned to carrying a J-frame on my own time toward the end of my career, and started adding some. They were very handy when I was attending meetings and teaching at conferences and seminars and wanted to be in dress shirt sleeves and slacks. One or another of my J's are still mainstays as retirement weapons, and at least one of them goes with me to range sessions for assessment drills, quals for ID renewal and annual LEOSA quals.

Does this mean I shouldn't send my old 442 Pro down the line?

Conversely... maybe I should have the UC cut for moon clips?

Quote Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post
    Who said the venerable .38 S&W SPL snub has been forgotten?

I returned to carrying a J-frame on my own time toward the end of my career, and started adding some. They were very handy when I was attending meetings and teaching at conferences and seminars and wanted to be in dress shirt sleeves and slacks. One or another of my J's are still mainstays as retirement weapons, and at least one of them goes with me to range sessions for assessment drills, quals for ID renewal and annual LEOSA quals.
    Nice stuff

Can’t seem to find much anywhere, but could you tell me where your M&P 340’s print? Not sure if there’s not many in circulation or if no one has bothered to find out.

Thanks

User Tag List