Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The forgotten .38 snubby

The forgotten .38 snubby

Friends,

Its been SUPER busy around here, between keeping up with kids, normal house things, and running the ammo business. The .32 H&R ammo has been incredibly popular. Never ever would have guessed that it would have taken off like it has. Understandably so, as it really is a phenomenal cartridge and in guns like the new Lipsey's Ultimate Carry J Frame, or even an LCR, it is a sweet little carry gun, and comfortable to shoot. I know I have shot mine a good bit.

That said, a couple days ago I went out and had some T&E shooting to do, running some numbers on a batch of 10mm that is about to be put on the website, as well as some poly coated heavy 45 ACP loads that are about to be put up as well. Once I was done with that though, I broke out my old companion that I had grabbed off the dresser that morning and stuck in my pocket for the day. My S&W 442 .38 Special.

I had it loaded with some 148 grain Poly Coated full wadcutters.

This little J Frame has always been a good shooter and at 7 yards I shot some groups fairly quickly into a target I had set up.

The first group I shot fairly slow to make sure that I was still on the money.

Then I picked up the pace and shot the next few fairly quick.

The gun just stacks them in there.

No question it has more recoil than a .32 H&R when using a 5 shot snubby, but it still is pretty easy to shoot well with practice, and I will end up carrying both. Out of a gun like a 4" K Frame it is super easy to shoot little groups, and the little poly coated wadcutters are so nice as you can shoot a bunch and due to the poly coating, it does not dirty up the gun, like traditional lead does. Great little bunny bopper loads too! I have been hunting jacks for decades using wadcutters and they do a number on small game.

I have been quite tempted to get one of the Lipsey's UC guns in .38 simply because I love my .32 H&R so much, plus I have a bunch of .38 components on hand (old brass and such).

I was thinking that the .38 special and the .38 Snubby has been like the local pretty girl who you grew up with and went through school with. Shes always a looker. Then this new girl moves in and all the attention gets put on her and all of the sudden everyone forgets about the girl next door who is still as pretty as she ever was.

**except in this case, someone made her wear some awful shoes!*****

Even though I’ve been pretty enamored with the 32 J Frsmes lately, the 38 still plays a role for me. I’ve settled on the 32 for when I’m only carrying a J Frame or carrying it as a backup to an auto. When carrying a 357 or 38 K/L frame the 38 J just makes more sense as a backup for me.

I am currently searching for a snub solution that gives me a hammer to block. I'm paranoid

Whenever the waistband will not support the Shield Plus I am right back to either the 360 or the 638, and more and more it is the 38.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I am currently searching for a snub solution that gives me a hammer to block. I'm paranoid
    The Tauris 856 2" with a bobbed hammer was my answer for the same question. Even though some folks feel some ways about the Brazilian guns, literally the only thing I want for it is an extended firing pin, and that's not super important, it would just let me get a trigger as nice as my old 638 with an Apex kit.

It is heavier, tho. I only really pocket it when I'm wearing heavy cargo pants. Otherwise, it's a fine belt gun or jacket pocket gun and shoots better for me than an airweight, and has a 6th shot. The only snubs that I like more are my model 36 and my model 432UC.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    637 or 638. If you choose the 637, bob the spur so it doesn’t snag.

Or if you want all steel, seek out a Ladysmith 60 in .357, and perform the aforementioned spur-cumcision.

Like a m10?
    Name:  IMG_20221115_171145~2.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  57.0 KB
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Site Supporter
    LCRx with Bantam boot grip. The item description says it does not work with the LCRx, but it does. It just doesn’t allow you to cock the hammer into single action anymore. Which is a plus for me.

I’ve fired plenty of round through the LCRx with that grip for me to feel comfortable with it working well enough.

Maybe S&W will come out with an external hammer no lock model of their various J-Frame offerings.

https://ruger.com/products/lcrx/specSheets/5430.html

https://ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5720.html

https://www.taurususa.com/revolvers/...ncealed-hammer
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I think a 638UC would be slick.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/j-frame-163070
    Participation does not equal Proficiency
    - Mike Pannone

User Tag List