Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gen 3 G17 stovepipe, need recommendations

Nothing like pissing away $300 worth of ammo trying to troubleshoot the $100 you saved by buying 10 aftermarket magazines.

Glock ejection is definitely affected by the magazine (this is why the 10-8 Extractor test isn't a good measure for the Glock). That's why I'd personally start with the magazines before anything else.

Magpul's AR15 PMAG set new standards for reliability; their Glock magazine leaves much to be desired. The cost savings over OEM is hardly worth it.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

•MEALO – Magazine, Extractor/ Ejector, Ammunition, Lubrication, Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    “Drop-in” barrels CAN require fitting. The “few” failures to go into battery reinforce this statement. Regardless, this adds a variable.

“USPSA Carry Optics” means that it is a match game/sport gun. If not used for defense or carry, well, just carry on. See if more problems occur. The optic, itself, adds weight, unless material is removed from the slide, to compensate. Regardless, adding weight to the slide adds a variable.

Any finish/re-finish, that adds material, makes tolerances tighter. I have no idea how many repetitions of the slide cycling that it would take for DLC to adequately wear-in. Regardless, this adds a variable.

I am not trash-talking Magpul, because I have no earthly idea whether they are better or worse than OEM, but, well, Magpul mags are not OEM mags. This adds a variable.

There is no harm in reaching into your box/bag/bin of fresh, new RSAs, and making the swap.

I have always run OEM ejectors and extractors, in Glocks. The only time I changed spring weight, from OEM, was to solve the infamous G22 problem, 22 years ago. (Glock, The Company, was still denying that the problem existed, but a local Glock armorer knew that stronger Wolff mag springs would be the work-around cure. He was right.)

I am not the best person to ask about this stuff, because none of my several G17 pistols, Gen3, Gen4, or Gen5, have ever malfunctioned. Dud rounds of ammo happen, occasionally, but no mechanical G17 weapon malfs. The only Glocks to give me any problems have been that G22, bought new in 2002, another G22, bought later, with a slide latch that did not like* 180-grain ammo, and a Gen3 G29, which I bought pre-owned, with an aftermarket recoil spring and guide rod. The instant cure for that G29 was to swap to a stock Glock RSA. My answer for everything Glock is usually a simple “use OEM.”

*180-grain ammo would rub against the slide latch, pushing it upward to prematurely lock the slide back.
    Great exploration of the possibilities, much appreciated.

I never had stock Glocks malfunction either, except for a Gen 2 back in the day that didn't like Blazer Aluminum 115 grain ammo.

180 ammo rubbing against the slide latch...wow, I would have never guessed that could happen!

Quote Originally Posted by gruntjim View Post
    That's the exact word I got from the latest Armorer's Course.

According to the instructor, he and two other trainers went out for a weekend of smoke and fire.

Not one PMAG made it through without malfing. The OEM mags had no such issue.
    I've used those PMAG's as training mags for about a year now, and I probably shot at least 5000 rounds during the last 4-5 months through them using my Gen 5 G17 with no problems..but point taken. Someone did tell me that the feed lips start to wear on those PMags and then you can get all sorts of weird malfunctions.. maybe I'm there already!

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Good info so far.

Especially lubing the gun. In addition to the barrel, one drop on each frame rail and a drop on the spot where the connector and trigger bar meet is recommended.

To add:

In addition to exterior barrel fit, aftermarket barrels may have slightly tighter chambers.

If it continues:

Does it have the part number 336 ejector ? If so the part 30274 updated ejector may help.

When you detail strip the slide does the extractor drop out or do you have to pry it out?

IME an Glock extractor which has to be pried out is not moving freely and impedes function.

A light polish of the top and bottom surfaces of the extractor (as detailed elsewhere on PF) can restore it to proper function.

OEM Glock mags are preferred.

Glock PMAGs have 2 issues: weak mag springs and a reduced internal volume since the all polymer mag body has to be thicker while maintaining the same external dimensions. Less space = More friction which is a problem with weaker mag springs.

I reserve Glock PMAGs for range training only, though for some reason their extended mags (21 and 27 rounds) seem to work better than their 15&17 rounders.,
    Great info thanks!

It does have the stock 336 ejector.

I'll have to check out that extractor fit, and I'll polish the sucker if it's tight! (I also have some Apex extractors too that I could try.)

BTW, just that wee bit of oil on the barrel hood after the stove pipe is still making the barrel to slide action so much better than how it felt before the malfunction. I'm really starting to think it was the new finish and a dry, tight fitting barrel, that was the culprit.

Speaking of the 30274 ejector, I just found this regarding possibly using the Gen 5 47021 ejector. Any thoughts on that? I need to get some Gen 5 trigger housings anyway, for spares, and I'll probably take out one of the ejectors and try it out just for kicks.
    https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/gl...47021.1878588/

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Potential causal factors:

-Non-OEM barrel

-Non-OEM magazines

-Non OEM finish.

-Non-OEM RDS milling

However, 1 malfunction may just be an anomaly.

Another question pertaining to a potential causal factor: What ammunition are you using?

Best, Jon
    Yeah good review of potential problem areas, thanks.

I was using Magtech 124gr FMJ's.

Interesting side note: I was using 124 gr Blazer Brass for training and USPSA, out of a Gen 5 G17. Well I started getting what seemed to be jacket plating separation! AJ Zito that was co-teaching a Tim Herron class I was taking noted the bits of jacket on my target at close range (3 yards, during a drill), and then like a perpendicular petal radiating out of the bullet hole on the targets that I shot from further away - not with every shot, but every once in a while. He called it jacket/plating separation and he mentioned that he had seen/heard of this issue before, especially with Gen 5 Glocks.
    Anyway, so I'm trying the Magtech's now.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Nothing like pissing away $300 worth of ammo trying to troubleshoot the $100 you saved by buying 10 aftermarket magazines.
    Well it was only one malfunction, and if it happens a second time I'm definitely sidelining the PMags to eliminate that variable...so luckily no significant amounts of ammo were pissed away...although it did ruin a perfectly good Draw To a Pair at 25 yards drill, where I had a 1.3s Draw with an Alpha, and was feeling it for a good follow up split .

But yeah I need to eventually just start using Glock OEM mags even for training. You've all convinced me.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Glock ejection is definitely affected by the magazine (this is why the 10-8 Extractor test isn't a good measure for the Glock). That's why I'd personally start with the magazines before anything else.

Magpul's AR15 PMAG set new standards for reliability; their Glock magazine leaves much to be desired. The cost savings over OEM is hardly worth it.
    I'm going to shop for more Glock mags this week.

BTW what Mag extenders can you all recommend?

I'm using dreaded PMags, the 21 rounders, for matches too, and I might as well get some extenders for OEM Glock mags while I'm at it.

BTW, is there a reason to go with Gen 5 Mags?

I found an earlier Gen OEM Glock mag on sale for $19.99, they look like Gen 3 or 4 mags, at least based on the picture.
    https://www.natchezss.com/glock-fact...uger-17rd-pkgd

Also, I'll be going out on Fri or SA for some more live practice so we'll see if I get any other problems after cleaning and lubing the pistol. I'll probably just use OEM mags this time, just to eliminate the mag variable.

Edit: just got 10 gen 5 g17 mags from midway USA for 18.75 each with a “birthday pricing” promotion, not even sure what that is, but killer price!
    Last edited by DacoRoman; 05-09-2024 at 01:38 AM.

User Tag List