Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Who has quit caffeine??

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    We can hang out.

- - -

On the topic of Red Bull, during the very tail end of the 90s, the time comes where I get a call from the manager of a local radio station. It turns out that they have partnered with the then-nascent USA arm of Red Bull to help open up the inland region. (Red Bull first hit the USA in California). The deal is this: the radio station held a competition where an office could submit an essay to the station detailing why their office deserved a “relaxation party,” and win one of 5 chances for a team of experts to descend on the office, offering lunch, free massages, live relaxing music (where I fit in) and—incredibly—all the red bull the office could drink.

Remember, nobody in the ‘Kan had heard of red bull at this point in time.

So, every lunch hour for a week, my duo would show up at a different office (insurance, dentist, ad agency, etc.) along with a dozen graduating students from the local massage therapy school, a caterer, and a couple of Red bull themed cars—including a Suzuki something or other mini pickup with a giant can of Red Bull welded on top/in the back, carrying 100-gallon drums filled with ice and promo cans of Red Bull.

All of which was fine and dandy, for the first 20 minutes or so. They’d turn the lights down, we’d fire up the PA and do our idiosyncratic and soothing music, and the office staff would eat gyros, drink cans of the then-new red bull, and wait for their turn for a massage on one of the dozen table scattered around the office.

Of course, Red Bull, being an “energy drink” began to have an alarming effect on the massagees. For 5 days in a row, I’d watch the mellow “relaxtion party vibe” go from lights out chill to chaos as secretaries and receptionists flopped like fish out of water on the massage tables after their 4th or 5th little can of the new, sponsoring happy juice. No shit, by 12:45, the poor massage therapy students couldn’t pin their clients to the table with a rear naked choke.

That whole week remains one of the more surreal gigs I’ve done out of almost 2500 public performances. Bizarre.

And that’s the tale of totem’s tribe helping open the inland NW region for Red Bull.

🤷🏼
    Four or five cans of Red Bull at one sitting. Yikes! <<shudders>>
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Four or five cans of Red Bull at one sitting. Yikes! <<shudders>>
    Nobody had ever had one before. I distinctly remember one chunky lady in her 40’s running around the office yelling, like a 6-year old after eating a whole bag of Halloween candy. Disturbing.
    The most powerful and harmful influence Trump has had on our politics…has been the effect on his opponents. They have been triggered into an orgy of self-mutilation—eager to amputate their own history and disfigure their own political traditions.

There's caffeine in it.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List