Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why or Why Not an HSC 380 or an Ortgies 32?

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Try a FN 1910 but with better sights smithed on in some fashion.

You have my attention but same basic single action not drop safe kinda thing right? Will need to look into more thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
    Local FFL has one in their used inventory, has had it for a while. In .32. Currently asking $655. One mag, no box.

I'd probably go 540 w 2 mags or 1 mag and box but I'm cheap and at least the 380 ones seem do demand premium s or if have 2 calibers

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    I had an HSc in .380, wish it had been in .32 honestly. It is like a PPK recoil wise, I always preferred the .32 PPK and PPK/S models. The auto closing of the slide when you insert a magazine was kind of cool. It did have a heavy DA trigger. I probably should have kept it but like so many cool things I owned over the years I ended up selling it for some reason or another in the late 90s.

Was the reason recoil or reliability? Recoil I don't care if no slide bite. I've longed for a Manurhin PP in 32 as well .

So is hsc in 380 reliable w hotter ammo or everything chokes once per mag kind of thing? What ammo did it like? Thanks

One I was going to bid on today got too high from the second I could check

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Was the reason recoil or reliability? Recoil I don't care if no slide bite. I've longed for a Manurhin PP in 32 as well .

So is hsc in 380 reliable w hotter ammo or everything chokes once per mag kind of thing? What ammo did it like? Thanks

I have a Manurhin PP in 32. I like it except for the sights and the horrific DA trigger.. I am going to send it off to get some Novak adjustable sights installed.

Site Supporter
    Double post

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post

Honestly I didn’t shoot it a whole lot and only ball at that. I don’t remember any reliably issues. I was in the gun of the week club while I was in the Army and I went through a bunch of different things back then. I think I just needed some extra money to get something different and felt it was the one I could do without. The main pistol I had in those days that I remember being unreliable was a 80 series Colt Officer Model but that is pretty normal.

Between a .32 or .380, the .32 is my preference for actual shooting. The recoil in the small blowback guns can be a bit brisk and a bit concentrated with the small, thin frames & grips.

And if my LGS had a FN 1910 for $350, I'd be on it faster than a Serbian on an Austrian Archduke.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Between a .32 or .380, the .32 is my preference for actual shooting. The recoil in the small blowback guns can be a bit brisk and a bit concentrated with the small, thin frames & grips.

And if my LGS had a FN 1910 for $350, I'd be on it faster than a Serbian on an Austrian Archduke.
    Hahaha.

Cash is tight. And I just bought a DA/SA slide + guts for my DAO Beretta Cougar—which was nearly as much. Sigh.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Hahaha.

Cash is tight. And I just bought a DA/SA slide + guts for my DAO Beretta Cougar—which was nearly as much. Sigh.
    I feel your pain- I've seen plenty of cool guns slip away because I was about $100 short in my gun budget.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

@Ghost Dog

The HSc is regarded as a "1,000 round gun...both the original model in 32, as well as the post-war 380. Even if you get one that's reliable, it will eventually develop cracks in the frame. Logic suggests that using hotter ammo in 380 will only make this happen quicker; note that the 380 variant was not a successful pistol, and no European organization adopted them for any substantial amount of service....so it's not like they have a history that suggests it's a good idea to use hot 380 ammo in them, regardless of the fact they were imported from Europe.

If for some reason you decide that a blow-back 380 is a good option to purposely carry, a SIG P232, Walther PPK, Beretta series-80 or even Bersa Thunder are all better choices. If you haven't shot one of these vintage-design blowback 380s, I would strongly suggest doing so before dropping cash on one...they're generally not nice guns to shoot.

If you just have to have an HSc, get the original in .32 from early war production. The DA sucks but otherwise it's a nice gun. Caveat emptor on CCWing a gun with Nazi stampings, though.

They're beautiful guns, best left to display.

Signed,

Owner of a Mauser HSc and SIG P232
    Last edited by TGS; 05-02-2024 at 03:43 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List