Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Bakersfield PD qual

I went out yesterday and ran this cold. Scored a 90. I pulled two shots at 10 yards, one into the 9 ring and one just high. Did the same at 20. I had plenty of time at 20 and need to work on making good hits rather than beating the clock. Not terribly upset but would love a clean run.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I had a template from jlw and used that stapled to an IDPA target. Tried it “lukewarm”(one shot to a 5 yard B8 cold) before running the qual. Shot it with a 43XMOS and a Holosun EPS Carry I’m toting this weekend.
    A few points down and a few tenths over time close up gave me a 93.

Gave it a run today with an SSR with Sro and Nills from comp gear. Looks like down 2 to me and minus 1 for being ot on string 1, so 97. I made the "revolver" reload time but i suck at using speedloaders, i was trying for the 6 second auto time.

10 feet

20 feet

30 feet

60 feet
    Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them. - Einstein

A different template for the Bakersfield qual is now available at:

https://firstpersonsafety.com/2023/0...sfield-target/
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    I still am shooting a Bakersfield almost every range trip, as a consistent benchmark for static shooting performance. It’s a great test.

I shoot it on a B8 using the 8 ring and -0 and the 7 and 6 corners as -1, every .25 seconds over par is minus 1.
    I also always score it using hit factor and B8 scoring rings.

I’ve been paying a little more attention to the HF (a “good” run to me is over 7 and a really good run is over 7.5), while also chasing a 100. I have a lot of 97s, 98s, 99s over the years. Finally got a 100 with my G34 the other day and I realized to get a 100 I have to use more of the available time, when shooting for HF I’d be solidly under par at the 7y/20 foot if my index was tight and especially the 2r2 at 10y/30 feet, usually just over 5 seconds but dropping a 7 or two on one or more of the distances.

The original scoring method does a great job of rewarding both accuracy and speed, with there being more than one way to shoot over an 80 or 90.

The Shootsteel cardboard target looks like a pretty fair off the shelf option: https://shootsteel.com/product/cardb...ts-pack-of-50/

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    A different template for the Bakersfield qual is now available at:

https://firstpersonsafety.com/2023/0...sfield-target/
    Lee:

Thanks for doing that. I use the Bakersfield PD qual quite a bit and its nice to have the original scoring system.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    Lee:

Thanks for doing that. I use the Bakersfield PD qual quite a bit and its nice to have the original scoring system.

Bruce
    It is one of my favorite shooting exercises, and it is QUITE telling of skill on demand.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

For a better than average normal none competition shooter dude how to run this?
    I'm likely just going to use idpa and not uspsa like they are using now because I want to penalize for the lower stomach hits ipsc allows.

Based on comments here and what times they allow now
    Should it be .25 added to the original times for open carry leather or none retention? And then another .25 for either concealment or retention holster which would up it to current time standards that are shot timer & retention/concealment realistic for a dude w slower draws?

Or is that too easy if current times + allowed each .25s over are down 1 pt?

1st one old whistle times is very fast. So 1.75? With .25 penalties allowed? If I run it leather 1911 no concealment that sounds about right. If I run it concealment warmed up I may be 1.75 but cold I'm 2.0 for 2 a zone -0s. Duty Retention holster somewhere inbetween.

So .25 added or .5s like 3 stages doing current times?

If current times then .25s 1 pt penalties allowed or strict all shots after current times are 0 points? From duty that works, from concealment cold is spicy, concealed snub that's pretty harsh.

If using wheelgun from concealment then what time would you use on the reload stage? Was 6/8 originally now 7 w glocks duty holster....revo from concealment 9.25 seconds? My revolver reloads are very slow even if I were concealing a split six which isn't common either hks or 5star. I carry 2 revolvers or more likely a macro & snub pocket bug & strip over one & speadloader in reality.

In general .25s from OG times +.25 1 pt penalties ? .3 over OG was suggested.

Current times strict any shots over 0 (duty pistol duty holster that makes sense) but smaller guns micros/macros/snubs from concealment that's pretty spicy on some of them.

Do the later from concealment get current times plus the .25 overs = 1 pt down?

It seems like 25 wojld be added for shot timer precision, & another .25 for either concealed or for retention...

For normal not grand master dudes what is a good balance?

Thanks

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    For a better than average normal none competition shooter dude how to run this?
    I'm likely just going to use idpa and not uspsa like they are using now because I want to penalize for the lower stomach hits ipsc allows.

Based on comments here and what times they allow now
    Should it be .25 added to the original times for open carry leather or none retention? And then another .25 for either concealment or retention holster which would up it to current time standards that are shot timer & retention/concealment realistic for a dude w slower draws?

Or is that too easy if current times + allowed each .25s over are down 1 pt?

1st one old whistle times is very fast. So 1.75? With .25 penalties allowed? If I run it leather 1911 no concealment that sounds about right. If I run it concealment warmed up I may be 1.75 but cold I'm 2.0 for 2 a zone -0s. Duty Retention holster somewhere inbetween.

So .25 added or .5s like 3 stages doing current times?

If current times then .25s 1 pt penalties allowed or strict all shots after current times are 0 points? From duty that works, from concealment cold is spicy, concealed snub that's pretty harsh.

If using wheelgun from concealment then what time would you use on the reload stage? Was 6/8 originally now 7 w glocks duty holster....revo from concealment 9.25 seconds? My revolver reloads are very slow even if I were concealing a split six which isn't common either hks or 5star. I carry 2 revolvers or more likely a macro & snub pocket bug & strip over one & speadloader in reality.

In general .25s from OG times +.25 1 pt penalties ? .3 over OG was suggested.

Current times strict any shots over 0 (duty pistol duty holster that makes sense) but smaller guns micros/macros/snubs from concealment that's pretty spicy on some of them.

Do the later from concealment get current times plus the .25 overs = 1 pt down?

It seems like 25 wojld be added for shot timer precision, & another .25 for either concealed or for retention...

For normal not grand master dudes what is a good balance?

Thanks
    I shoot it from concealment using the standard par times. I’m no GM. I think the par times are nearly perfect for someone looking to become a better shooter. I can get a 100 if I do everything perfect! I’ve done it with my 34 twice. With my 43X I’m hovering 94-97. I’d say my norm across the board is about 97. Usually I’ll make all the pars, maybe have one run one point down from a tenth or two over time, and the real killer is dropping a -1 or 2 shot placement wise.

If you want to make all your own par times and penalties for YOUR own goals and gear that is totally up to you! I prefer to use the standardized version, even with the smaller pistols. It gives me an objective way to track my on demand performance with various carry guns.

I do -1 per quarter second over. I just use a B8; 8 ring and in is down 0, 6 or 7 is -1, off the B8 repair center is a Mike. An IDPA target would also work well. Or just draw one on paper or print one!

User Tag List