Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Easiest shooting 9mm for small hands? Dedicated home defense application.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    This is a great point. HST147 is relatively soft and not super loud.
    Ranger 147 SXTs are even softer in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    I guess just under 6" depending on exactly how one measures.
    FWIW:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-by-%93Size%94

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Since she is experienced, could you let her choose?
    I'll try to explain more clearly. Like I wrote in the opening post, she isn't too excited about shooting anymore, and would just as soon be doing something else, but I'm still trying to make a big push to finish off her handgun training....with a bang....lots of them...but as mild as reasonably possible for 9mm....before she turns 18.

I'm trying to develop a shortlist of candidates so we can look at them. We have no place that rents guns. The gun stores around here are tiny and spread out geographically, so I'm going to have to call around to find specific pistols in stock, then drive for hours to go see them, probably in different directions to find things like a Macro, PDP-F, etc... Was trying to get some ideas in case there are good options I haven't thought of, so had this list of questions:

1) What is the short list of pistols to look at for this application in 2024?

2) How much can the weight of a large weapon mounted light and/or grip weights reduce perceived recoil? If this isn't a dumb idea, what to look at?

3) What holsters would you be looking at? I'd need to find a quality holster for the whole setup because we always work out of holsters at outdoor shooting ranges for practice, and guns without good holsters are just stupid.

If I had someone who was not interested in shooting but wanted a gun for home defense I would go with what they know. While she doesnt enjoy the Shield you mention she shoots it well. I dont think she is going to be shooting regularly so I would find a reliable gun she shoots well.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Both Inch and Millimeter worksheets are updated with the latest current numbers, and posted on my Google drive.

For the avoidance of doubt, direct links are:

Inch:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17cY...usp=drive_link

Millimeter:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11Hn...usp=drive_link

What they look like:

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-09-02 06-21-48.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  81.4 KB
    Attachment 109042

My daughter is somewhere between 6.25 and 6.375" in this format

Does anyone have numbers on PDP-F, Sig Macro, Shield Plus, Equilizer, or other guns that may be relatively heavy but fall into smaller measurement categories based on this format? Trying to stay away from 1911 style.

I have smaller hands as well. For reference, the trigger reach on Glocks do not work for me. I have tried numerous pistols over the years after I decided to move away from my Gen 3 Glock platform. The ones that I have found work best for me are the M&P (not sure about the new trigger shoe shape), CZ P07/P09, CZ P10 and Beretta 92 with WC short reach trigger. I had a Beretta APX for a while and the trigger reach was really short as well and currently I would choose it over a P320. The P320 with small grip mod worked well for me as well. I would think the P365X-Macro would be a great option as well. The Beretta 80X might be a great option as well.

Another option that helps, is going single action only. I have a Sig P226 SAO and the trigger reach is perfect. If she would consider revolvers, the Ruger SP101 I think may work. Shooitng the one I have with 38 SPL is cake.

Overall the smaller the gun you go, the more recoil she is going to have to deal with in general.

Site Supporter
    Old school answer was a G19 that had a serious grip reduction done by Robar or Bowie and ultimately Boresight.

Now, some P365/ammo combination is more readily avail and cost effective.

Both platforms are well supported re holsters etc.

If this is a dedicated home defense platform, I wonder if an AR would not be a better way to go?
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    Old school answer was a G19 that had a serious grip reduction done by Robar or Bowie and ultimately Boresight.

Thread drift-If this is truly a dedicated home defense platform, I wonder if an AR would not be a better way to go?
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post

If this is a dedicated home defense platform, I wonder if an AR would not be a better way to go?
    We have plenty of ARs. Just looking for the most pleasant to shoot 9mm pistol that most optimally fits very small hand geometry at this time. Purpose is high volume training, which I thought of as fairly identical criteria to home defense, and hopefully the pistol would be able to perform both roles.

Site Supporter
    Another vote for the P365 platform. If she ever wanted to carry concealed, she would have fewer hurdles to clear.

If this will be for dedicated home defense, a Springfield XD is worth considering. The grip is a bit better than a Glock, although the overall gun is blockier than a Glock. Whether it would work with small hands depends on how small.

My father in law bought one of these several years ago. At the time, I took advantage of the free rentals available with my level of membership at a now-defunct local range to try my wife out on almost every commonly available 9mm as well as a couple of .45s, a few .380’s, and a few .38 revolvers. The first time she shot her father’s gun, she easily and comfortably put 10 shots in the center of the target. I bought an XD for her. Both are low volume shooters, but neither gun has ever had a problem.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List