Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: .32 vs .38

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    If XS is willing to offer different height rears (w/o tritium), that would probably be more than sufficient for most, while only needing a small program change to their CNC program.

Just thinking out loud
    S&W is making the rear sights on the UC.

XS is only making the fronts.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JEC View Post
    S&W is making the rear sights on the UC.

XS is only making the fronts.
    Same concept - the rears will probably be easier to swap/adjust without damage due to width. Just thinking out loud, it might be an easy way to get a higher profit margin part on the market.

Especially if you were able to take an existing 640P, group with common ammo, and essentially find a height that will replicate the same POA/POI on the 442/642 UC's for the 640P for an end-user swap item.

Site Supporter
    Motivated by the discussion and an upcoming match - when I was getting dressed today to go out to Whole Foods (I know - wife likes some of their stuff), I passed on my usual OWB Glock 26 and OWB extra mag (Galco kydex).

Instead, I put on my new JMK frame holster in a pretty red for J frames and on the other side a Sidewinder Speedloader/ Moon Clip Pouch. I carried my SW 632 that I've described before - 3 inch SS, hammered, comp'ed, fiber optic front site. It was loaded with Hornady 327 mag. I thus had 12 rounds on board as compared to 21.

The area is really low crime (which is meaningless if there actually is an incident), so playing the odds I usually rail against.

Since I decided to shoot this rig (with some more speed loaders than one) in a match, decided to install the 'rig' and give it a drive. Also, for some drying firing.

My thoughts, it was comfortable. The gun was easy to get to and the grip just leaped into your hand. However, for it's size and weight, it wouldn't be a primary EDC (maybe in the woods with BB Hard cast). The 26 is easier and more oomph and rounds.

See how the match goes - of course, not time competitive but I'm not anyway. I'm going to shoot Fed 32 HR Mag as I've said 327s would cause multiple heart attacks among the crowd and beat up my hand. Why not SW Longs - just an experiment but one stage is just a draw and six round and I think I'll do a load of wad cutters for that one.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

I have a question for those who are experienced .32 users.

We know that shooting a lot of .38s in .357 Magnum revolvers leaves a ring at the case mouth in the chambers, which then can give issues when switching back to the longer Magnums. Does the same thing occur when shooting .32 Long in a .32 H&R Mag or .327? And if so, how much of an issue is it?
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I have a question for those who are experienced .32 users.

We know that shooting a lot of .38s in .357 Magnum revolvers leaves a ring at the case mouth in the chambers, which then can give issues when switching back to the longer Magnums. Does the same thing occur when shooting .32 Long in a .32 H&R Mag or .327? And if so, how much of an issue is it?
    I can't speak to .32s specifically... but in tens of thousands of rounds through a handful of revolvers where I was mostly shooting .38 lead reloads in IDPA and then popping off magnums either for fun, to rotate out carry ammo or even shooting the occasional match with them just cuz... It's never been a problem for me. Or if it was I never noticed it. 1990s-2010s vintage stainless guns exclusively, though.

I'd guess this is mostly a factor in some guns had rough chambers to begin with. Or shooters who were even more lackadaisical about cleaning than I am. The longer cases dragging on more fouling might put it over the line for stiff extraction. But I don't think that behavior is guaranteed, and if it shows up in one particular gun I would bet it could be dealt with by polishing the chambers.

edit: at the time to me a deep cleaning was something done every ~6 months or so. I'd actually clean the gun and then go shoot automatics for a few months. Rinse and repeat. In between matches I'd never do more than 4-5 passes through the chambers/barrel with a dry bronze brush, hit cylinder face and forcing cone to prevent any real buildup, then use a nylon brush on the star. The gun was usually filthy by the time it got a deep clean but absolutely functional. I never had an issues going back and forth between specials and magnums.
    Last edited by jh9; 02-12-2024 at 11:07 AM.

Site Supporter
    The SW 632 at a mini match. 3 inch SS, hammered, comp’ed, fiber optic front sight, White U on black rear

1. Indoor USPSA match. 4 stages.
    2. Two twenty four round, typical set up.
    3. Draw and fire six rounds
    4. Three targets (one a tuxedo), draw fire 2,2,2 free hand, reload, 2,2,2 strong hand
    Indoor distances, so not very far or close up. Don’t have exact distances.

The gun is fine to shoot as far as trigger. From a JMK holster – new and I like it. Got it in red.

My score – not so hot. Why? Well, I realized I haven’t fired that gun in 5 years. I did spend some time drying firing, drawing in the basement. The problem is the sights. Guess what, I can’t really see the fiber optic anymore, it’s a small tube and with indoor lighting, no discernable glow. I shot high I think due to my alignment not working. I had previously thought I had adjusted it but not yesterday and too many shots were above the center mass A zone. Not to the left or right, just too high. Oh, well. Old eyes!!
    When I have a chance, I think I will have the sight set up replaced with some of the more highly visible sight types we see on the new Js. I think I want a fixed rear also. It’s not a target, distance gun anyway for my usage.

Ammo:
    I shot various types as experimental.
    1. Mostly Federal Personal Defense Revolver 32 H&R Magnum 85 Grain – on the 24 stages. Worked just fine. The recoil in that gun is trivial.
    2. Fiocchi 100 Gr Lead Wad Cutter in the six shot target – can’t even feel the recoil. Went off well! Note – in TX, shot hundreds of Fiocchi FMJ SW Long without a hitch
    3. Magtech – 32 SW Long, LRN, 98 gr.
    a. Hiss boo
    b. Smokey as all hell
    c. TWO DUD IN EACH CYLINDER FULL – FOR TWO MIKES.

Why – let’s have a picture. On the left is the Magtech, one the right is the Federal. The Magtech looks like a pin prick. The Federal is a solid strike. The Wadcutters were like the Fed, nice hit.

Name:  32 1-20-40 PM.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  41.3 KB

Reloading: Like I said, haven’t shot the gun in a bit. I used HKS speedloaders, dug out of the box o’ stuff. Put them in Safariland Speedloader holders, those are the metal clip on to your belt. They worked fine for a match and not a pain to get on and off, wore 5 of them. I don’t use a USPSA velco rig, just a CCW type leather, everyday belt for gun and holster.
    The 32 rounds being little in diameter where a touch wiggly in quickly getting into the chambers. Perhaps with more practice but 6 little rounds was slow. However, with the profile for the LRN or HPs, wasn’t that bad. Loading the wadcutters from the speed loader was a royal, alignment pain. Forget doing that in real time on DA STREEZ – at least for me. 38s are much easier to load in my 642.

I didn’t shoot my 432, maybe next time. Take away – it a good gun, my eyes need better sites. Magtech -blah, shoot it up on the square range or just keep in the ammo cave till TEOTWAWKI. I certainly would not have a problem with this being a limited number of opponent guns (mandatory Internet fantasy). Since it is a belt gun – it’s not a primary EDC. It gives me no advantage over my G26. The 432 is still an easy pocket carry gun with 6 shots though. That’s what it’s good for.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Very Nice...
    Saw a vid of the .32 85gr Fed round in homemade Organic expanded really good in 2 layer denim, and even pretty decent deformation in 4 layer denim. That makes .32 H&R legitimate to me, as does the old DT 75 grain, though that seems to have dried up and it's 60 grains that are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Ammo:
    3. Magtech – 32 SW Long, LRN, 98 gr.
    a. Hiss boo
    b. Smokey as all hell
    c. TWO DUD IN EACH CYLINDER FULL – FOR TWO MIKES.
    ah heck, Magtech's .32 Long wadcutters are the easy stuff to find in my lgs. slightly dreading getting my LCR to the range now, session might be a lot of double-striking those things.

Great report tho, thank you. After taking a look around a lot of local and not-so-local gun shops in the past few weeks, I've found that .32s of various sizes aren't too hard to find, but prices are about what you expect - not great vs .38 special. My excitement for the upcoming 632UC has cooled a tad. If that trigger tune is as good as they say, I'll end up taking one home anyway eventually.

As long as you can get @Lost River .32 i think its a great idea. I only care about penatration out of a J and his ammo has that in spades. Plus for the recoil sensitive practice, Im thinking specifically for non dedicated females which my family has a few of, with a less powerful round. If I can manage to get one in 32 they all will be going to the range for a trial run.
    I wouldnt give up the 38 however. I would carry either caliber myself. Actually Id prefer to have another caliber in Js because if you cant get one you might be able to get the other.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

In Alaska and Montana, I like the idea of being able to load the new revolver with this load, and carry it as a back up. At this velocity, it should poke a hole in a bear's skull.

Name:  IMG_7094.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  22.4 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List