Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4048495051 LastLast

Thread: Snub chat

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    I never hear anyone talking about the Mika IWB rigs. Any chance I can talk you into a more detailed post about that one?
    Not Chuck and I am sure he will comment but about 10 years ago I switched to Mika's for all my pocket holsters. Previously I had some nice leather ones but they all used the "push off" design that requires you to physically push the holster with your thumb during the draw to help separate the holster. Mike has a very open top with a liner sewn in that keeps it open at the top, some material on the sides that is grippy enough to insure the holster does not come out with the gun. It is bascially a zero resistance draw in terms of the holster itself.

That paradigm simply works much better for me. Bonus is Bob Mika is a great guy, prompt services, cares about and listens to his customers (actually takes time to call each one).

The DeSantis pocket holsters are similar in concept, but they lack that hold open band that makes drawing so frictionless and reholstering easier.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Everything that fatdog said is spot on.

https://mikaspocketholsters.com/prod...tband-holster/

Essentially it is one of his pocket holsters with a metal clip sewn to the outside, although my example is a little thicker/sturdier than the pocket version.

I had him make me pocket, vest, and IWB holsters for my LCR, but the LCR got traded off. My SP101 and 856 fit in them.

I originally got the IWB to experiment with a snub AIWB. It's comfy, but noticeably thicker than a leather or kydex IWB.

Name:  IMG_20240214_104122731_HDR[1].jpg
Views: 706
Size:  43.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20240214_104135920_HDR[1].jpg
Views: 709
Size:  36.8 KB
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

S&W needs to pay attention. Look at how much nicer the 43c, 351, M&P 340 sights are than stock models. Heck put those lipseys on more, offer, the high horns as aftermarket. Imagine an interchangeable front, different heights, fiber, glow dot etc. heck even just a u notch, maybe a v notch express interchangeable rear blade adjustable for windage like on the Taurus .22s.

I remember when S&W was on fire with little Js, back in early 2005? They were bringing out so many variations, ported, 2.5” versions, pro series, etc.

I would like to see S&W better the Taurus view/no view snub, with a bit better grip, maybe fill in the sinus. But use a shootable caliber like .22 Mag, .32.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Not Chuck and I am sure he will comment but about 10 years ago I switched to Mika's for all my pocket holsters. Previously I had some nice leather ones but they all used the "push off" design that requires you to physically push the holster with your thumb during the draw to help separate the holster. Mike has a very open top with a liner sewn in that keeps it open at the top, some material on the sides that is grippy enough to insure the holster does not come out with the gun. It is bascially a zero resistance draw in terms of the holster itself.

That paradigm simply works much better for me. Bonus is Bob Mika is a great guy, prompt services, cares about and listens to his customers (actually takes time to call each one).

The DeSantis pocket holsters are similar in concept, but they lack that hold open band that makes drawing so frictionless and reholstering easier.
    I agree with this, they are the fastest/slickest pocket holster I have tried. And for some jobs I've had in past, like night manager at hotel I might still chose one.

But for my general use I switched away from them because they didn't have enough retention for positions beyond normal sitting and standing. My J frame came out of holster and pocket when I had to crawl under my car (unplanned event starter acted up and couple raps on it let me get car started to get home and I replaced starter ASAP). No one at the gas station noticed since I was under the car when it happened.

But at the time I was driving a lot for work with my personal cars, and despite staying on top of maintenance stuff still sometimes broke while on the road, and while it was legal for me to carry at my job if I had been spotted it would have cost me the job. Since it was against policy.

I switched to Kramer pocket holsters for my Glocks, and hmm can't remember what brand my J frame pocket holster is, I've had that for close to 30 years. But all my current pocket holster hold the guns pretty securely via friction and/or slight clam shell grip.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by P226SAOFan View Post

The post on the last page finally convinced me to send mine in too. Very fast turn around. Been debating doing it forever. It was either this or buy a LCR from Novak's with the rear sight but those never came in stock. I don't understand why they don't offer this on more than just the steel model from the factory.
    Wow! That looks like a future plan for my spare 342!

Help with grip)

what are people’s thoughts on the delta grips now? My current understanding from what I have seen on this forum is that they help with the shootability of the gun but come with a retention tradeoff. I have yet to see any of the big name snub people weigh in on this which keeps me from trying them. Thoughts on these grips?

Also, I have seen the hamre forage grips but unfortunately I am left handed, do people this it would be possible to run the right handed hook off of the elastic band of briefs on the left side? Would somebody be willing to test this for me?

Thanks!

If you’re asking if the right handed HF hook will let you carry OWB, the answer is no.

However, HF is developing a left hand model for the LCR. And if you don’t own an LCR, what can I tell you…this place is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    If you’re asking if the right handed HF hook will let you carry OWB, the answer is no.

However, HF is developing a left hand model for the LCR. And if you don’t own an LCR, what can I tell you…this place is expensive.
    Sorry for not being clear, I was asking if one could hook the right hand version on the inside of underwear so the gun was between the underwear and pants, but you mentioned he is working on on a left hand model so I will just wait for that.

Funny you mention getting a LCR, I may have broken down yesterday and purchased one in .22lr yesterday afternoon. I’m telling myself it will save me money in the long run…..

Unrelated to my previous post this morning, what are people’s thoughts about trying to mount a red dot on a snub for a belt gun? I made a thread about the mount coming out from shield arms and people did not seem too interested. I know Rhett Newmyar(?) of Demonstrated Concepts mentioned on a P and S episode with DB interest in mounting a RDS over the barrel. Other than holster support being an issue, would a mount that is attached to the front sight mounting point be viable on a LCR or removable front sight J frame? Could a clamshell mount over the barrel do the trick?

Quote Originally Posted by Squamis View Post
    Unrelated to my previous post this morning, what are people’s thoughts about trying to mount a red dot on a snub for a belt gun? I made a thread about the mount coming out from shield arms and people did not seem too interested. I know Rhett Newmyar(?) of Demonstrated Concepts mentioned on a P and S episode with DB interest in mounting a RDS over the barrel. Other than holster support being an issue, would a mount that is attached to the front sight mounting point be viable on a LCR or removable front sight J frame? Could a clamshell mount over the barrel do the trick?
    My first thought would be soot getting onto the optic.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List