Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Late Night YT Videos

FWIW, bookface has a BBC Scotland page thats often interesting.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Thanks for the video. I've watched quite a few videos of the reforestation of Scotland. I got interested in the subject watching various movies showing the Scottish Highlands, and I wondered about all the green open space, but so few trees. It is interesting stuff.

The Highlands look very similar to the high country here in the Rockies at the treeline/alpine tundra transition and above.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I first heard about this a couple of years ago and I’m still not really convinced it was a widespread thing. Maybe it’s because most of the historical reading I’ve done has been military history focused but I still think it would have been mentioned in a memoir or two. And I don’t remember it being covered in any history or biology classes in school.

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I first heard about this a couple of years ago and I’m still not really convinced it was a widespread thing. Maybe it’s because most of the historical reading I’ve done has been military history focused but I still think it would have been mentioned in a memoir or two. And I don’t remember it being covered in any history or biology classes in school.

I also first heard of this a few years ago. I dont recall exactly where, I didnt find a bookmark (just occurred to me to check my fire tablet...). Whatever the previous source, I was somewhat convinced it was fairly common in the past. Ive also fallen into the pattern in recent years, mostly waking from pain, but I can sometimes go back to sleep after a while.
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

The precursor to The Wire. Better in many ways, with stories ranging from the mind numbing grind of 1990s Murder Policing to existentially dreadful examinations of the utter indifference of a cold, empty universe.

RIP Andre Braugher.

For something completely different than our usual fare.

Quite educational, to me at least.

Maybe @BehindBlueI's, or anyone conversant on the subject might want to chime in.

This guy makes a lot of interesting videos on all sorts of religions and the ones on the Abrahamic faiths are very scholarly.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Maybe @BehindBlueI's, or anyone conversant on the subject might want to chime in.
    I appreciate the thought, but will respectfully decline. Discussing religious belief online, especially in the current climate, is not something I wish to dedicate any time or energy to.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I appreciate the thought, but will respectfully decline. Discussing religious belief online, especially in the current climate, is not something I wish to dedicate any time or energy to.
    I understand perfectly, I only wished to deepen my understanding is all.

:-)

I hope many in our membership will find the video interesting.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    The precursor to The Wire. Better in many ways, with stories ranging from the mind numbing grind of 1990s Murder Policing to existentially dreadful examinations of the utter indifference of a cold, empty universe.

RIP Andre Braugher.

Man, the first few seasons of that show were great.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post

RIP Andre Braugher.

A brilliant interpretation of a scene in the book.

User Tag List