Page 168 of 176 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170 ... LastLast
Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 1757

Thread: Weight Lifting

Just pulled a set of three trap bar deadlifts at 340. I was a bit nervous as last time I was at this weight I tried to force a fourth or fifth rep and hurt something in my leg. I’ll try for four reps next week but learned that lesson about trying to force another rep sometimes.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Just pulled a set of three trap bar deadlifts at 340. I was a bit nervous as last time I was at this weight I tried to force a fourth or fifth rep and hurt something in my leg. I’ll try for four reps next week but learned that lesson about trying to force another rep sometimes.
    That’s pretty good!

How do you like trap bar lifts vs conventional deadlifts?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Squatted 455 last night. Not quite past parallel though. It's been a while since I've gone this heavy. I need to spend some more time with 4 plates on my back

I've been in a funky mood lately and it messed with my deadlifts the other day but last night the funk helped I think.
    To quote my trainer: “Depth before dishonor.” That said, I’m pretty sure that you could go crease below knees at 435 anytime, and that’s pretty astounding from my viewpoint. *Great* work, per usual.
    The most powerful and harmful influence Trump has had on our politics…has been the effect on his opponents. They have been triggered into an orgy of self-mutilation—eager to amputate their own history and disfigure their own political traditions.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    That’s pretty good!

How do you like trap bar lifts vs conventional deadlifts?
    I switched several years ago after having some low back discomfort with the straight bar. I was also concerned about the risk of a bicep tear with the mixed grip I was using for the heavier straight bar lifts. I went to a Starting Strength camp last summer which only used the straight bar and thought about switching back but haven’t

I finished Deadcember by adding 30lbs to my deadlift 1rm, moving from 300 to 330.

It was a rough month. I had some events that really added stress. Either that or a stomach bug resulted in losing 9lbs. I missed two days of the program, and ignored accessory work for the back half of the month. As much as I had going on, I'm lucky I was lifting at all. I'm happy with the PR though.

I'm doing a bench press program from pen and paper strength app. It's designed for 5 days a week, but I'm running it MWF. It's fun.

My wife has started a simple 5x5 on dead, squat, and bench. Learning the movements, and just getting used to it. Shes already seeing small improvements that she hasn't with other bodyweight type stuff even with literally years of trying.

Some friends did a powerlifting meet last week which got my wife and I started talking about her deadlift PRs. I thought it was 225x1. She pulled out a video with 225x2 lol
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Felt like I needed to take it easy last night so I just did partials.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    ...or find a real gym with barbells and chalk.
    Just wanted to check in and ask a question.

Since I last posted, I did quit planet-fitness, and we moved house (yes, again) to a new place. I joined a local gym in November that has free weights / barbells, and a row of racks with plates and keepers. I've been going every 2 to 3 days since, with just some time off for the holidays.

My question relates to deadlifts. Early on, I was trying to do proper form and running the bar up my shins. Unfortunately, I scraped a few places, because I wasn't paying attention to the knurling, and it messed me up so I was bleeding. I wanted to ask, what are the best options to avoid this?

Right now before I go to the gym I put a band-aid on the worst spot, and use a pair of sweat pants while doing deads. I take them off to do squats, press ups, and bench. Then I go do my other stuff.

I've seen some guys wear black knee socks, but it's not exactly...um...attractive. I guess it would work, but I don't want to be the geezer wearing black knee socks to the gym. I've seen ads for athletic tape, do people use this? I can imagine taping a strip of material down my shin, that would help, right? Or am I ok with the sweat bottoms and get on with it? It's not a huge deal, but I was curious, and really it's the only question I have at the moment.

Otherwise the program I'm on seems to help. I can tell as I feel stronger in just doing every day stuff, and I just feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Just wanted to check in and ask a question.

Since I last posted, I did quit planet-fitness, and we moved house (yes, again) to a new place. I joined a local gym in November that has free weights / barbells, and a row of racks with plates and keepers. I've been going every 2 to 3 days since, with just some time off for the holidays.

My question relates to deadlifts. Early on, I was trying to do proper form and running the bar up my shins. Unfortunately, I scraped a few places, because I wasn't paying attention to the knurling, and it messed me up so I was bleeding. I wanted to ask, what are the best options to avoid this?

Right now before I go to the gym I put a band-aid on the worst spot, and use a pair of sweat pants while doing deads. I take them off to do squats, press ups, and bench. Then I go do my other stuff.

I've seen some guys wear black knee socks, but it's not exactly...um...attractive. I guess it would work, but I don't want to be the geezer wearing black knee socks to the gym. I've seen ads for athletic tape, do people use this? I can imagine taping a strip of material down my shin, that would help, right? Or am I ok with the sweat bottoms and get on with it? It's not a huge deal, but I was curious, and really it's the only question I have at the moment.

Otherwise the program I'm on seems to help. I can tell as I feel stronger in just doing every day stuff, and I just feel better.
    I'm not @TheNewbie or @03RN but I enjoy deadlifts, and just did Deadcember where I deadlifted M-F for the month of December so I feel like I can at least offer a little help.

I use a garage gym, so I have the benefit of not worrying how I look. I've taken to wearing pants when I deadlift. Specifically, I like to wear jeans. They give me a bit more protection from the abrasion of the bar on my shins from deadlifts. Some folks apparently wear jeans that have no give or are so restrictive as to prevent proper hip movement. I don't know about all that, mine are cheap Walmart jeans with a little stretch in them. When I do wear gym shorts for DL I also wear black dickies socks pulled up over my shin. While not as good as jeans, it does help.

Something I've noticed watching my wife learn to deadlift, and watching myself on video, is that a lot of times form can correct it. I use bumper plates, and lift on a rubber mat. If the bar drifts away from my shins (no more than a half inch) as I lower the par the last few inches it will have the smallest bounce where it comes back and whacks my shin. I can't even notice it when I lift, because the sound of the weight setting down. But watching from the outside I can see that most of the the scrape/bruise/ problems are just slightly above where the bar rests before the lift, and exactly where the bar is bouncing to hit my shins. That might not be the case for you at all. Maybe take a video of yourself lifting to try and look for it, or ask a coach or trainer that you trust. I get a lot of feedback on my instagram from more experienced lifers that I trust.

So, for me the answer is pants, and ensuring shin contact during the entire lower as best I can. I've also just accepted that my shins are going to occasionally be marred up because it's hot, I wear shorts when it's really hot, and my technique ain't always flawless. I think in the few years I've been doing this my legs have built up at least some tolerance level to the bruising and scrapes as well. I know that's not something you're interested in doing.

Strips of plastic from protein powder container and duct tape. That plastic is over 15 years old from a Cytogainer container.

User Tag List