Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help with aiwb

I’ve tried both claws and I think it’s more comfortable sans claw. The part that’s uncomfortable is the muzzle, it is just driving into me when I sit. I adjusted the cant so it is grip back muzzle forward, that seems to help but when I’m sitting 90 degrees it’s driving into me hard. I have a softer belt at work, maybe I’ll try that when I go back in.

I guess I’m stuck with this wedge pillow thing, I might as well trim it down and see what I can make work.

Iwb at 4oclock in a vm2 was super comfortable to me. I had to be conscious of the type of shirt to wear but that was it. I live in a very gun friendly state so printing want to big of an issue. Hell I used to open carry before we went constitutional carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Honestly, that gun is large enough on your body that it’ll be hard to truly conceal no matter what. The folks at phlster came up with a handy metric: a gun that takes up less than 40% of the space between your hips is going to be the easiest to conceal. This 1911 looks like it takes up 60% or more of yours. Hell, I’m 6’1 and 255 and a 1911 or g17 is the very top end of what I can conceal.

All that being said, (and I apologize for it not being terribly helpful in your current situation) a slightly more flexible belt will help. You still want something stiff enough to hold the gun up, but it’s got to be more flexible than what you’re using now. People on here report good results with CSM lined belts from Wilderness tactical for that. A custom wedge cut from a yoga block and relieved around the extra tuck will help, but it’s got to be positioned correctly for maximum grip rotation. Get the thickest part of the wedge as close to the sight channel of the gun as possible.

Finally, I’ve got the same holster (for a non railed gun) and while I really like it, I seem to get better results in terms of grip rotation from a tenicor certum3 with the tallest camming bar installed and a thick wedge on the muzzle. However, it will shift more fore and aft because of the narrower clip spacing. They do offer closed steel DCC loops that appear to have more belt contact and a closer fit to the belt, but I haven’t actually been hands on with them to prove that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hstanton1 View Post
    Honestly, that gun is large enough on your body that it’ll be hard to truly conceal no matter what. The folks at phlster came up with a handy metric: a gun that takes up less than 40% of the space between your hips is going to be the easiest to conceal. This 1911 looks like it takes up 60% or more of yours. Hell, I’m 6’1 and 255 and a 1911 or g17 is the very top end of what I can conceal.

All that being said, (and I apologize for it not being terribly helpful in your current situation) a slightly more flexible belt will help. You still want something stiff enough to hold the gun up, but it’s got to be more flexible than what you’re using now. People on here report good results with CSM lined belts from Wilderness tactical for that. A custom wedge cut from a yoga block and relieved around the extra tuck will help, but it’s got to be positioned correctly for maximum grip rotation. Get the thickest part of the wedge as close to the sight channel of the gun as possible.

Finally, I’ve got the same holster (for a non railed gun) and while I really like it, I seem to get better results in terms of grip rotation from a tenicor certum3 with the tallest camming bar installed and a thick wedge on the muzzle. However, it will shift more fore and aft because of the narrower clip spacing. They do offer closed steel DCC loops that appear to have more belt contact and a closer fit to the belt, but I haven’t actually been hands on with them to prove that.
    Thank you, I’m just trying to conceal too much fun for aiwb then? I’m 5’9” and 190 lbs. 33 waist fits good but I get 34 to carry with. If it was a 4” barrel I think I’d be a little better, but it’s not. I’ll try a different belt and see if that helps at all.

I just can’t like polymer guns or else I’d switch it up. But I just love 1911 and maybe I need to learn to live with it digging into me if I can’t get a pillow carved out right. Or maybe I’ll just go back to the vm2 and regular iwb

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Thank you, I’m just trying to conceal too much fun for aiwb then? I’m 5’9” and 190 lbs. 33 waist fits good but I get 34 to carry with. If it was a 4” barrel I think I’d be a little better, but it’s not. I’ll try a different belt and see if that helps at all.

I just can’t like polymer guns or else I’d switch it up. But I just love 1911 and maybe I need to learn to live with it digging into me if I can’t get a pillow carved out right. Or maybe I’ll just go back to the vm2 and regular iwb

Not too much gun for AIWB, but probably too much gun for your body. 1911s are awesome, and I’m certainly not here to tell you what you can and can’t carry. A 9mm CCO with an aluminum frame would probably be a Goldilocks gun for you if you like 1911s but want something more concealable. There are also any number of compact 2011s and 2011 adjacent guns like the EDCX/SFT-9 series from Wilson combat. If you like TDA guns, the beretta 92 compact is roughly CCO sized as well.

I’ve tried every adjustment and all the claws. I didn’t cut the wedge down or do any of that modding. If they’ll let me return it, I’m going to. I like the build of the holster and the idea of aiwb. But I just can’t get it to feel right or even half decent. I can’t even bend over good with it. I thought I could live with being a little uncomfortable, but it keeps drilling me sitting or bending.

You should try some form of wedge, as that will help with the poking. I’d suggest getting a foam yoga block and cutting pieces of it to work and then applying them using Velcro tape (soft side on the holster). You can cut those to have a relief that allows them to fit over the extra wedge bit - I have done so before with a JM holster I got used with the extra wedge.

I would try that and try using the claw, as it looks like you’ll need grip rotation to hide a full size 1911 grip. I’m 6’1” and 200lb and carry a full size 1911 as well, for reference. I currently use a PHLster Enigma but have primarily used JM holsters in the past (and am currently using one with the Enigma).

Clips over the belt, a slightly more flexible belt (I’d recommend something from Mastermind or Tenicor), foam wedge, and claw should get you close. They should at least get it to “comfortable” unless the 5” gun is just a total no go for you. After that you can assess whether satisfactory concealment can be achieved.

The gun isn't to big for you. I promise. I'm 6ft 190, 33" or 34" waist. I carry a full size Beretta 92 everyday. You can do this and keep carrying the gun you perfer. When other people decide they can't they sometimes decide that means you can't. If you could carry it strong side, you can carry it AIWB.

AIWB is very personal, and the set up that's right for you is going to be damn near as unique as a fingerprint. Gun, holster, wedge, wing, attachment method, belt, pants, personal concealment tolerance, personal comfort tolerance, body shape all factor in.

My suggestions:
    -TALK TO TONY. He has been doing this a long time, and if you think the holster you ordered isn't what you thought or isn't going to work for you see what he thinks. He might be able to steer you toward something that works for more of his customers than what you ordered. Of course if ya need to do the return thing he's solid as hell too.

-If you facebook look up phlster concealment workshop. It's a group that goes very indepth about concealment and the factors unique to body shape. Obviously most users are going to suggest phlster products (the enigma specifixally). However, the articles there on finding where on your person to carry and how to set a holster most likely to work for you are valuable. The info might also be available on youtube or the phlster website.

-Get a belt. I wouldn't put it off. We're both carrying larger guns, and a shit belt is a shit belt. It won't support the weight or work like the lever it needs to against a wing or integral wedge. Get a graith or edcco belt and don't look back. Also, recognize that decent holsters hang on belts. That means an untucked shirt is a must if you want to cover the dcc clip (I use a different brand holster but still use a dcc monoblock). The idea of "tuckable" holsters, all due respect to holster makers, is bunk. If you have clips on your belt or trying to hide under it you just look like you're hiding something. When I have to tuck in a shirt I make the conscious choice to carry less gun, and do so off the beltline. An enigma would be a good option for carry tucked as it's truly no show.

Anything I can do to help let me know.

My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    It took me 4 holsters and 2 to 3 months of trying different things to make AIWB work.

IME, the 5" pistols (1911, G34, etc) don't need wedges, they need an effective claw. I have an older JM with a claw that's great, but use a 5Shot SME daily with a steel government.

User Tag List