Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: New Mexico Governor suspends carrying of firearms in Albuquerque for 30 days

Charlie Cooke and Andrew McCarthy are having a field day with this one over at National Review.
    I'm a "7" compared to most gun-guys, which means I'm a "3" on P-F.

Site Supporter
    GoA's case will have a hearing on their TRO at 11:00 tomorrow morning: https://www.courtlistener.com/docket...onk-v-grisham/

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    For the particular example of an ambulance or fire truck, a couple of thoughts:

1. An affirmative defense that running red lights to save someone's life is ok. Conceptually, this would be similar to use-of-deadly-force laws. It's worth noting that, in my state at least, the same standards on deadly force apply to both law enforcement and non-law enforcement.

2. Ignoring emergency vehicle sirens is still an offense. It's not ok to crash into an ambulance that ran a red light with lights and sirens running.
    Dude...

...the point of my post isn't to argue the finer points of emergency services response. In case it isn't apparent, the point was to point out the absurdity of these idyllic thoughts dreamt up in a vacuum of what government should look like, because the world isn't black and white.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Gov. Lujan Grisham should take a trip to MX to see how gun control works down there. Of course it's an entirely different culture but the results are the same when the government places tight restrictions on citizens. There are a lot of guns in MX and civilians can own them but not carry them. The cartels and the military ended up with all the heavy firepower. MX homicide rate is 5 times higher than the US. That tells me the Army and the cartels are killing one hell of a lot of people.

Make New Mexico like old Mexico should be Grisham's campaign slogan. I doubt she will run again though. She fooked herself.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-11-2023 at 04:40 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Gov. Lujan Grisham should take a trip to MX to see how gun control works down there. Of course it's an entirely different culture but the results are the same when the government places tight restrictions on citizens. There are a lot of guns in MX and civilians can own them but not carry them. The cartels and the military ended up with all the heavy firepower. MX homicide rate is 5 times higher than the US. That tells me the Army and the cartels are killing one hell of a lot of people.

Make New Mexico like old Mexico should be Grisham's campaign slogan. I doubt she will run again though. She fooked herself.
    She absolutely didn’t “fook” herself. When she’s eligible to run again (a governor in NM can’t serve more than two terms in a row and must then sit out a whole term before running again) she’ll still be electable here. Most counties in the state of NM vote Republican, but few people live on those counties. As someone posted years ago in another political thread, “Dirt don’t vote.” The places where the majority of the people live, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Rio Rancho, and Las Cruces, would elect her again.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The funny thing about having double standards for laws is that eventually everyone sees themselves as exempt. Lawlessness doesn't just stop with Big Brother and the Oligarchs* in the strong man states like Russia and Hungary. Everyone else gets in on the action too. One doesn't have to be Plutarch or Machiavelli to notice that.

*worst band EVER!
    Once you reach the end of horse shoe theory. Do you get chaos theory?

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    Once you reach the end of horse shoe theory. Do you get chaos theory?

Very possible, Chief Has Arrived On Scene... Somebody has to take over....

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Dude...

...the point of my post isn't to argue the finer points of emergency services response. In case it isn't apparent, the point was to point out the absurdity of these idyllic thoughts dreamt up in a vacuum of what government should look like, because the world isn't black and white.
    I don’t see how what he or myself is absurd or idyllic….it’s a perfectly workable concept no more complicated than what is in place now

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    She absolutely didn’t “fook” herself. When she’s eligible to run again (a governor in NM can’t serve more than two terms in a row and must then sit out a whole term before running again) she’ll still be electable here. Most counties in the state of NM vote Republican, but few people live on those counties. As someone posted years ago in another political thread, “Dirt don’t vote.” The places where the majority of the people live, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Rio Rancho, and Las Cruces, would elect her again.
    Absolutely. This is not a governor problem - it’s a majority of New Mexicans suck problem. This is why I don’t live there and have no real reason to visit.

With that out of the way, let’s take on this notion of impeaching the governor for this executive order. Impeachment in the New Mexico Constitution is reserved for criminal activity. So, what portions of the NM or US criminal code did she violate?

Keep in mind that elected politicians throughout our history have flagrantly violated the Constitution with laws and executive orders. Some of these policies have been overturned; others remain enforced. Even our current “conservative” SCOTUS admittedly allowed the unconstitutional tuition forgiveness to stand for a period of time to allow for administrative procedures. Yep, a SCOTUS justice literally wrote in his decision that he knew a policy was unconstitutional, but wanted to give the administration time to come up with a new policy and in doing so violated his oath. Were any of these former presidents, congresscritters, and justices charged with crimes for their policies that violated the constitution?

And for all of the 2A pearl clutchers on the internet who support the Republican front runner, this guy literally called for a wholesale suspension of the Constitution in the wake of his obvious defeat. Now, these bastions of virtue and rule of law are crying foul when a governor goes after just one Amendment?

Personally, I think that our country has become too impeachment happy. We elect shitty leaders and then whine on the internet when other shitty leaders fail to clean up the mistakes from our votes. This problem won’t be fixed until half our population is gone because they are not going to change their minds and they certainly aren’t going to become smarter.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Absolutely. This is not a governor problem - it’s a majority of New Mexicans suck problem. This is why I don’t live there and have no real reason to visit.

With that out of the way, let’s take on this notion of impeaching the governor for this executive order. Impeachment in the New Mexico Constitution is reserved for criminal activity. So, what portions of the NM or US criminal code did she violate?

Keep in mind that elected politicians throughout our history have flagrantly violated the Constitution with laws and executive orders. Some of these policies have been overturned; others remain enforced. Even our current “conservative” SCOTUS admittedly allowed the unconstitutional tuition forgiveness to stand for a period of time to allow for administrative procedures. Yep, a SCOTUS justice literally wrote in his decision that he knew a policy was unconstitutional, but wanted to give the administration time to come up with a new policy and in doing so violated his oath. Were any of these former presidents, congresscritters, and justices charged with crimes for their policies that violated the constitution?

And for all of the 2A pearl clutchers on the internet who support the Republican front runner, this guy literally called for a wholesale suspension of the Constitution in the wake of his obvious defeat. Now, these bastions of virtue and rule of law are crying foul when a governor goes after just one Amendment?

Personally, I think that our country has become too impeachment happy. We elect shitty leaders and then whine on the internet when other shitty leaders fail to clean up the mistakes from our votes. This problem won’t be fixed until half our population is gone because they are not going to change their minds and they certainly aren’t going to become smarter.
    Nvm.

User Tag List