Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Covers You Like Better Than The Original

I posted a few back on the first page if this magnificent thread but I just remembered another favorite, Nouvelle Vague's cover of Billy Idol's Dancing With Myself. Wildly different in style, it actually made me understand and appreciate Billy's version more than I had previously. Hearing it was an epiphany; I had the feeling that they had channeled Billy's soul and recorded the version that he would have done if he had been free to let it all hang out and release his inner lounge lizard.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner Precision, LLC View Post
    Some may consider it blasphemy but somehow The Hu's Mongolian throat singing version of sad but true is more metal than Metallica IMO

Pffft! For anything after And Justice, who isn't more metal than Metallica? 😜

(I'll have to watch that after work tonight, haven't heard that one but like The Hu)
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Forgive me if somebody previously linked this, but IIRC correctly I found it after listening to a Johnny Cash cover of the song, but I could be crazy. Anyways it is absolutely the only ZZTop associated song I find half decent. Actually like it, a lot:

Sorry BN posted it earlier, but damn, I like it so worth hearing again.
    Last edited by DDTSGM; 08-31-2023 at 06:12 PM.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    Disturbed Land of Confusion - originally by Genesis
    Marilyn Manson Tainted Love - originally by Soft Cell (though they covered the song from Gloria Jones)
    Orgy Blue Monday - Originally by New Order
    Leo Africa - Originally by Toto
    Designer Design Get Low - Originally by Little John and the Ying yang Twins
    Joan Jett I love rock'n'roll - Originally by The Arrows
    Urge Overkill Girl, You'll be a woman soon - Originally by Neil Diamond
    The Fugees Killing me Softly - Originally by Roberta Flack
    Run DMC Walk this way - Originally by Aerosmith

We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Cowboy Junkies: Sweet Jane and I’m so Lonesome I Could Cry.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    The thread title says "like better than the original". That doesn't require me to love the cover song--I might just really hate the original. And, that's the case in your examples. You don't have to work hard to improve a Wings song. Maybe the original is good in a different way, but no one has been willing to pay me the $100 it takes for me to listen to Bob Dylan sing. And don't get me started on Clapton. I almost got out of a car halfway between the Trinity Alps and Redding because the driver wouldn't stop playing Cream. At the time, walking while carrying a heavy, wet backpack seemed better than listening to that crap.
    Lol, I love Dylan, but he's not the kind of artist you can force on anyone. His version of the song is more desolate. Its like he's talking to no-one and dying alone. A friend of mine, (who loves Clapton) described the Clapton version as "Eric Clapton doing Jimmy Buffet doing Bob Dylan". I also love Cream, but I don't think their catalog is quite extensive enough to support an extensive road trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Cowboy Junkies: Sweet Jane ...

User Tag List