Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: $100 Field Pistol

GJM, et al,

How about a .40 caliber 170 grain poly coated SWC at 1200 FPS.

I have been shooting these for a while now. There has never been any question about my love of a G21, but there is something to be said about the shooting speed possible from a smaller frame.

These run through my Gen 3 G22 phenomenally well.

Heck they run through a G20 perfectly from what I have found through T&E.

I think I Gen 5 23 would be an ideal launcher, as the extra mass in the slide helps settle this pistol.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

A month or so ago, I shot a box of 20 Underwood 147+P hard cast thru my Glock 47, and had an instance of the slide locking back with cartridges still in the magazine. Yesterday, I shot another box of 20 through a different G47. Again, had a lock back with rounds in the mag.

Discussing this with 1Rangemaster, he reminded me that Underwood changed the bullet in that load. Here is his picture.

Name:  IMG_4167.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  41.4 KB

The older version was the bullet profile I experienced an issue with, and the newer bullet seems to have a smaller meplat. Will experiment more, but for now I am only carrying jacketed penetrator loads in my 9mm Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A month or so ago, I shot a box of 20 Underwood 147+P hard cast thru my Glock 47, and had an instance of the slide locking back with cartridges still in the magazine. Yesterday, I shot another box of 20 through a different G47. Again, had a lock back with rounds in the mag.

Discussing this with 1Rangemaster, he reminded me that Underwood changed the bullet in that load. Here is his picture.

Name:  IMG_4167.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  41.4 KB

The older version was the bullet profile I experienced an issue with, and the newer bullet seems to have a smaller meplat. Will experiment more, but for now I am only carrying jacketed penetrator loads in my 9mm Glocks.
    The 147 grain +p Underwood rounds that I tested (approx. 80 fired) had the recent profile of the “reddish” colored version, left in your last picture. My test pistol was a Glock 19 Gen5.

Of note, I had issues of unintentionally locking the slide to the rear, due to the Gen 5’s newer, more pronounced slide release lever… I was bumping the slide release with my support hand thumb. It was happening with all ammo types. I installed a Kagwerks Gen5 slide release, which cured all of my early/unintentional slide lock issues… maybe it could work for you?

Quote Originally Posted by eric0311 View Post
    The 147 grain +p Underwood rounds that I tested (approx. 80 fired) had the recent profile of the “reddish” colored version, left in your last picture. My test pistol was a Glock 19 Gen5.

Of note, I had issues of unintentionally locking the slide to the rear, due to the Gen 5’s newer, more pronounced slide release lever… I was bumping the slide release with my support hand thumb. It was happening with all ammo types. I installed a Kagwerks Gen5 slide release, which cured all of my early/unintentional slide lock issues… maybe it could work for you?
    It is quite possible between the cold temps lately in AK and the higher power factor of this load, my grip is shifting and contacting the left side of the slide stop. I had a similar issue with the G5 20 and heavy ammo. I fixed that with a beaver tail but don't want to do that with my small frame Glocks.

It is quite possible between the cold temps lately in AK and the higher power factor of this load, my grip is shifting and contacting the left side of the slide stop. I had a similar issue with the G5 20 and heavy ammo. I fixed that with a beaver tail but don't want to do that with my small frame Glocks.
    That does sound like a possible cause… it might be worth the try for the Kagwerks…

That does sound like a possible cause… it might be worth the try for the Kagwerks…
    Looks like they are on back order everywhere I have checked -- another possibility is aggressively reducing the size of the OEM part. If you have a lead on the Kagwerks, please let me know.

Looks like they are on back order everywhere I have checked -- another possibility is aggressively reducing the size of the OEM part. If you have a lead on the Kagwerks, please let me know.
    Will do! I had to cut my Glock 35 (gen3) slide stop down, similar to what Dave Sevigny was doing with his competition G35… (this is his g35, taken from open source)… it was my inspiration to fight premature slide lock…it worked as well.

Name:  668FFD0D-1F9B-47DD-91E1-724BF5B7EAEA.jpeg
Views: 369
Size:  30.0 KB

Of note, I had issues of unintentionally locking the slide to the rear, due to the Gen 5’s newer, more pronounced slide release lever… I was bumping the slide release with my support hand thumb. It was happening with all ammo types.
    Agree, based on my experience with my G19/G45 Gen 5's, this sounds like a possible cause of the premature slide lockback. I also had a few issues with slide failing to lock back on empty due to, again, contacting the slide release while firing. Ran into this several times regardless of ammo type until I corrected grip slightly--didn't take much.

Also FWIW to @GJM: I've put about 100 rds total of the newer version of the UW 147 +p hardcast bullet that you pictured, plus the competing Buffalo Bore 147gr hardcast, through my new G47. No issues so far. Too small a sample to draw conclusions, but still a useful data point. I haven't seen an issue yet with either the Buffalo Bore or the UW hardcast in any of my 365's or Glocks. I'd love to get to higher round counts to increase the confidence level, but that ammo is pricey per round to do all that testing.

@GJM Have you ever tried the Federal "Solid Core" 9mm load: https://www.federalpremium.com/handg...11-P9SHC1.html

I've been curious about it since it was announced, and I don't remember seeing it mentioned in this thread yet. They claim 1120fps from a 4" gun. I think I saw it mentioned somewhere that this stuff has nickle cases and sealed primers (I have not confirmed that part), which for field ammo, might be a good thing. It's fairly expensive compared to Underwood or the loads @Lost River is now cranking out. It can be found for $26-27 box of 20 online.

I'm also sort of bumping this thread for my own reasons, as I'll be visiting Grand Teton, maybe Yellowstone, and probably fishing a little along the Grays River in Wyoming in a few weeks. I'll likely roll some of my own 147gr hard cast, and probably buy some of Lost River's loads before then (if he restocks soon), but I figured the Federal load may also be an option, if I find some before my trip.

User Tag List