Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: The case for the assessment pause

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Utm View Post
    If a dude is a few feet away and you take a hard lateral step and draw and fire its completely realistic
    What if you get a CNS/Spine shot on the first or second round he drops like a sack of potatoes? Iirc this happened to Jared Reston and he sent several rounds just out into America and that’s a big reason he teaches assessment speed shooting now.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    What if you get a CNS/Spine shot on the first or second round he drops like a sack of potatoes? Iirc this happened to Jared Reston and he sent several rounds just out into America and that’s a big reason he teaches assessment speed shooting now.
    I think it also happened to Daryl Bolke in one of his shootings, but he was able to NOT a shoot the anticipated next round.
    Which would be the definition of assessment speed.

Site Supporter
    While I have never shot someone. The few cns
    C/spine injuries I have watched. Usually from being stupid. Have acted like dead right there.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    While I have never shot someone. The few cns
    C/spine injuries I have watched. Usually from being stupid. Have acted like dead right there.
    Yes.

I think @Caballoflaco ‘s point was that if you land one of those CNS hits early in a “Bill Drill” string, the rest of the bullets will go where the threat used to be. So committing to a rapid string of six from the get-go might not be the best default response.

It could very well happen. I am not saying one SHOULD shoot at bill drill speed, I do believe it happens regularly in OIS's and majority of officers have never trained to handle a gun at that speed. I personally believe you should aim every shot which would in turn have the outcome of shooting at the speed of sight.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Yes.

I think @Caballoflaco ‘s point was that if you land one of those CNS hits early in a “Bill Drill” string, the rest of the bullets will go where the threat used to be. So committing to a rapid string of six from the get-go might not be the best default response.
    Yes. I agree.

Site Supporter
    It could very well happen. I am not saying one SHOULD shoot at bill drill speed, I do believe it happens regularly in OIS's and majority of officers have never trained to handle a gun at that speed. I personally believe you should aim every shot which would in turn have the outcome of shooting at the speed of sight.
    The speed of sight. I like that can we define that.

The speed of sight is slower than 0.2 seconds
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Site Supporter
    To quote LAV. No One's Going To Have To Tell You To Shoot Faster In A Gunfight.

I would add that WE NEED to tell ourselves to slow down and assess the situation as it progresses.

As I said before. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring thinking Back Into It.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

I actually think Bill drills are pretty realistic
    In the contemporary environment ... again, we're looking at potentially three court systems - criminal, civil, and public opinion. Like any of the "name" drills, nothing wrong with shooting them occasionally, shooting them for time. Not sure that it's beneficial to frequently go through a case of ball to run a few of these as quickly as possible.

Glad to see Reston's position, thoughts referenced;
    One of the beneficial things I took from a Frank Proctor class last year was the importance of the process of firing a single shot, then another single shot, etc vs firing several shots.

Of interest would be the two recent Alb PD shootings and the downrange concerns that definitely were an issue in one, and sure could have been in the second. Reading about the two victims who were hit by shoots that by-passed the BadGuy, one V peripherally and the other V with multiple, severe GSWs.
    (And, yes I know that was the police)

User Tag List