Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sport drinks

Liquid IV. $29/30 pack at Costco. Often found on sale for $20.

It is supposed to be one packet to 16oz of water, but I mix it with 24-32oz of water.

Generally I just drink water, and depend on food to get electrolytes, but for exercise, long stretches of yard work, shooting matches/classes in the heat, etc. I use that, and it helps a lot.

When I was roadracing motorcycles I used Pedialyte (or generic) mixed 50/50 with water. Now available in adult formulations.
    My wife found a drink and powder mix called Hoist.
    https://drinkhoist.com/
    Originally developed for the military for use by our guys in the sandboxes and now available commercially.
    Both are excellent for those times when you might not have kept up with water intake.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Sport drinks

This latest trend of these so called IV replacements I find quite interesting. Granted I have know idea what type of science goes on here.

Apparently each brands blend is the perfect ratio for quick hydration. They all seem to agree on some amount of sodium, glucose and potassium and how delicious their flavors are then they go their separate ways. Some examples below.

Liquid IV drink mix
    Can drink daily
    Mix with suggested amount of 16oz of water then says whatever amount of water matches your taste the best
    Loads you up on tons of vitamin b
    Apparently 75% of Americans feel dehydrated

Drip drop drink mix
    Can drink daily
    250ml or 8oz which is 236.5ml of water per 10g packet
    adds 1.5mg zinc for immune support which is 9.5mg short
    Doctor developed but uses the disproven tongue taste map [emoji2357]

Hoist drink mix
    Can drink daily
    16-20oz of water per packet
    Mentions the military or mil-spec way too much

So basically it’s a shit show like usual. I think I’ll stick with my sports drink & water mixes at least most of those don’t make as ridiculous claims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paperman; 06-07-2023 at 11:46 PM.

Gatorade and Powerade are my go tos.

Site Supporter
    Guys, thank you so much for the great responses. I found many of them almost self evident after I thought about them.
    When I was working corrections, I'd take a couple of Gatorade bottles filled half and half with Gatorade and water. We will certainly ad water to the hydration regime. We've probably taken the temporary suggestions from our PCP and some ER docs as a life style. Between them, the had 5 or 6bags of fluid in a two week period. They were probably thinking of the short term period while she was sick with COVID and flu where she needed hydration.

Somebody suggested we check with our doctor, which is always good advice. Usually.

We're ready to look for a new PCP.
    I like this guy personally and I've been with him for decades. But something is wrong with my wife that he's not picking up on. She is too weak to walk 25 ft from the living room to the bathroom. She has collapsed three times. Once I was at work. She was able to get to her phone and call me. I had to leave work to come home and get her in her chair. She keep going to him and he runs tests, blood, EKG, and Urine. "Everything looks good," he says as he shrugged his shoulders. Then my wife will pass out again at home. He doesn't seen motivated to find out what's wrong. I wonder if he just doesn't believe us.

When we first used this guy, he was a partner in a family practice. He was good. The family practice was bought out by a national chain and he just doesn't seem as invested any more. He's an employee now, not a private physician.

He did set her up with a Physical Therapist. The PT checks her blood pressure through out the workout and has documented crazy swings in BP and heart rate. When my wife stands from a sitting position, her BP has dropped to as low as 60 over 40, with a heart rate more than 130. After standing a few minutes, things will go back to normal. Her BP, while sitting for a few minutes, is around 120/80. HR is still right at 100, but that seems normal for her. PT has carefully suggested that maybe a cardiologists might be able to find some answers.

I'm not sure who needs to look at her, but if PCP can't fine the answer to her OBVIOUS problem, then he needs to send her to somebody who maybe can. We're frustrated, I'm afraid for my wife, and in the market for a new PCP.

Our PCP is on 2 weeks vacation starting last Friday. We called and insisted on talking about a referral to a cardiologist. Wife is on Medicare and has to have a referral from a PCP to see a cardiologists. They set up an appointment with a Nurse Practitioner in PCP's office who agreed to submit her records to the cardiology clinic they use. That was yesterday and we haven't heard back yet as to whether the Cardio clinic will accept her.

Back to Sport Drinks. I'd love to have a cardiologists tell us what she needs. Hopfully we can get that level of advice soon.

Site Supporter
    Why not just regular old water? I'm in my 3rd year of kidney disease and have learned that sodium and potassium are two electrolytes that must be kept within levels. I did no do this with sodium which in my case aggravated blood pressure causing kidney disease. My brilliant nephrologist refers to kidney disease as " hamburger" disease because of salt levels associated with fast food.

FWIW, you can buy Gatorade in powder form in cans at walmart and no doubt other stores, 24 qts for about $10, and of course you can mix it any strength you want. I use a gatorade qt bottle to mix it, its quick and easy that way, one scoop makes a qt, or however you want to proportion it.

After kidney stones, its made staying hydrated easier for me after nearly foundering on trying to drink enough straight water.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Why not just regular old water?
    She tried that. We keep big insulated mugs of ice water with us at just about all times. But even glugging all that water, she was still dehydrated. She was urinating a lot. I assume that's why they suggested the Gatorade.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    She tried that. We keep big insulated mugs of ice water with us at just about all times. But even glugging all that water, she was still dehydrated. She was urinating a lot. I assume that's why they suggested the Gatorade.
    Way out of my lane here, but at this point, I’d definitely be wondering medically or at least nutritionally. For general activity, a gallon of water every day tends to keep people hydrated well. Unless there’s some type of exertion that explains why additional supplementation is needed, I’d like at diet and then quickly to medical if nothing jumped out from eating habits or lack thereof.

FWIW, I’m guessing nutrition extremes on both ends could cause problems. Unhealthy diet is probably an easy guess but the owner of my less gym talked about adding a hydration supplement into his diet because he eats such fresh and healthy food that he doesn’t get enough sodium that way and struggles to hold water. This is the same type of guy that is jacked and doesn’t eat or drink any type of dedicated protein supplement because he gets all from his food, so probably in the minority of people for being that health conscious, but still.

Hope you get that PCP figured out soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    How did they come to the conclusion she was dehydrated if she was drinking so much? I apologize if I’m prying……

User Tag List