Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why stipple?

I have one stippled pistol, Glock 22 G4. I don't find it necessary but after removing the finger groves, under cutting the trigger guard, and chopping it to accept G23 mags it helped "dress up" the "improvements" I made to my gun. After carrying and shooting if post-stippled/modified I must admit I prefer they way it feels, BUT it's not mandatory and was more of an experiment.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    My G17/19 is stippled...it's no grippier than grip tape (less actually) but:

A) the goal isn't max grip, it's the right balance of grip and abrasion

B) once you start fixing the issues with the Glock frame (i.e. trigger guard, finger grooves, and nazi hump) you've made the gun better and wrecked the resale value anyway. For this reason I like to buy used glocks where somebody's already done some of these. Ideally not very well, and not very deeply. Then I can buy the guns really cheap, do the mods properly, and let someone else take the hit on the value.

But in general I do agree with the facebook pics thing.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

It might chafe some tummies, but I love how secure the P30's grip texture is. No stippling required.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I've tried a variety of methods to improve traction, including inner tubes and grip tape.

Try shooting in the rain or with bloody hands--stippling works.
    This.

It started with a few of the cool kids doing it, and like so much of the other Junior High-ish BS in the gun world, others followed suit without bothering to assess WHY the KKC did it in the first place. The KKC did it, and if it's good enough for them, then it's good enough for Ken the accountant. For professionals who carry their guns in a wide variety of environments, there are not many things that will give the same performance as a quality stippling job.

I have a few pistols that have stippling. I use to use grip tape, but when it came to make the choice between a soldering iron and grip tape, I had to seriously consider if grip tape will even stay on. Most of the time it doesn't in my environments........hot, humid, & wet. My guns, especially ye ol' pistol need a cleaning after carry. Grip tape just doesn't stand up to repeated deep cleanings.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Thanks for the replies, certainly clarifies the reasoning. I've never had grip tape come off in all the years of shooting I've done, other than when using brake cleaner to clean the frame and it dissolves the glue. Rain, mud, sand etc have never affected it. However this is no where near as important as people who use the guns for work. I'd never thought about using it to cover up the removal of the finger grooves on Glocks either. On guns with removable grips it obviously won't hurt the gun, not that all stippling does. I have seen where guys wreck the frame though, being a bit too aggressive with the soldering iron, punching holes right through.
    When done right, it doesn't look too awful, but man, you seldom see ones done right. (yes I know looks don't matter, functionality does)
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    (yes I know looks don't matter, functionality does)
    If you really mess one up you can always give it away to a buddy.

Not that I've done that...
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Site Supporter
    My grip tape experiences aren't as positive as yours, they've all shifted and I end up removing them in the middle of a range session and/or match.

3M stair tread tape for me has lasted just fine. It also increased the girth of the grip noticeably, but positively for me as well. Brake spray and Simple Green ate generally what I'll use to clean. Sometimes a dish wand in the sink with Dawn too.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Try shooting in the rain or with bloody hands...
    ...or just, you know, some sweat and sunscreen.

rawr!

I don't think anybody was questioning the utility of a non-slippery grip. (Personally, I was just wishing for some stippling at gun school a couple weeks ago. Hot and sweaty and Coppertone Sport all over my hands and "This never happened with 20 lpi checkering! You kids get offa my lawn!" )
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    ...or just, you know, some sweat and sunscreen.

rawr!

I don't think anybody was questioning the utility of a non-slippery grip. (Personally, I was just wishing for some stippling at gun school a couple weeks ago. Hot and sweaty and Coppertone Sport all over my hands and "This never happened with 20 lpi checkering! You kids get offa my lawn!" )
    Interesting to see you note checkering. The 1911 guys, or gals, never get scoffed at for checkering and doing other work to their boasters, why is it taken so differently when it's a Glock?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List