Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RFI: fabrique nationale 98 Mauser sporter 30-06?

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    You guys are throwing a wrench into my afternoon. Looks like I have an errand to run.
    Will the shop let you take a pic, or do they have it on a web site?
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 05-25-2023 at 11:22 AM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

I’m tempted to keep this to myself, to limit competition, but I love you guys so here we go.

Husqvarna 640. The early ones were built on surplus military Mausers with the thumb notch for stripper clips. Later ones were built on FN commercial actions without the notch. The actions are usually stamped as Husqvarna but they are indeed FN. They were endowed with Swedish steel barrels, notch irons and nice walnut stocks. You can find them for around $500.

Husqvarna eventually went to the 1640 which is their own proprietary action that’s excellent in its own right. But for a true FN Mauser sporting rifle I don’t think you can beat a 640 on quality and value.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    You guys are throwing a wrench into my afternoon. Looks like I have an errand to run.
    Enabling and monkey wrench throwing are kind of our jam…
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    If the price and the bore are right, I'd buy it.
    As I live a half hour from Douglas Barrel the bore wouldn’t need to be good, just the price. It’s one of those classic guns they aren’t making any more of.

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    I’m tempted to keep this to myself, to limit competition, but I love you guys so here we go.

Husqvarna 640. The early ones were built on surplus military Mausers with the thumb notch for stripper clips. Later ones were built on FN commercial actions without the notch. The actions are usually stamped as Husqvarna but they are indeed FN. They were endowed with Swedish steel barrels, notch irons and nice walnut stocks. You can find them for around $500.
    I have a Husqvarna that I had rechambered from 9.3x57 to 9.3x62mm then added a Williams receiver sight and a flat topped front blade. It’s metal work is every bit as nice as my original Type B Mauser sporter.

There are some Sako rifles on FN Mauser actions, too.
    Not to mention J.C. Higgins and Marlin.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

If it is a Safari Grade and has a claro walnut stock, it could have been a "salt wood" rifle. If there are no signs of corrosion around the stock and the bore is good, I would grab that rifle so fast my wallet would be smoking. They literally do not make them anymore.

Totem Polar:

I am a fan of Mauser style rifles. My affliction involves Winchester Model 70s which is a derivative of the Mauser action. The 30-06 continues to soldier on. It is not flashy, nor does it receive the advertising hype of other cartridges, but it just keeps working. The 30-06 is probably the closest thing to an all-around rifle cartridge there is. If you can shoot, there are very few situations requiring rifle fire, that a good 30-06 cannot solve. Becoming a rifleman is a worthy goal and your Mauser is a great tool to use to achieve that status. My suggestion is to buy it, stock up on reloading components and shoot the dog snot out of it. My personal goal is to burn the barrel out on mine.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    As I live a half hour from Douglas Barrel the bore wouldn’t need to be good, just the price. It’s one of those classic guns they aren’t making any more of.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I have a Husqvarna that I had rechambered from 9.3x57 to 9.3x62mm then added a Williams receiver sight and a flat topped front blade. It’s metal work is every bit as nice as my original Type B Mauser sporter.
    Pictures, man. Post the pictures.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List