Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Handgunner article on an interesting Vaquero

Something like this would an interesting custom project.

The article on the Croft/Keith Slipgun.

https://gunsmagazine.com/guns/handgu...eith-slip-gun/

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    And:

Unless you’re a member of the “Yellowstone” cast, who are these people that “spend 12-16 hours a day riding fence, pulling cable, bailing hay, or stacking feed” and can afford a $2,800 revolver?
    No kidding. They are going to get a used gun from a pawnshop, a working gun that doesn’t merit babying.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Well, I spent close to the same but went this route!

Name:  20211225_114516.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  80.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post

Freedom Arms makes some amazing guns. I think the cylinder gap on those is tighter than .003” and they seem to do alright. Too bad you can’t get a 6 shot 44 special.

Im not positive, but think .003" is the target gap size for ideal balance of function and velocity, and works with S&W DAs. I think John Linebaugh set his up at that or perhaps .0025", but its been a very long times since I heard the specifics from him. @Outpost75 knows this stuff I believe.

The old school Blackhawk 45s on the large frame with regular alloy grip frame weigh 36 oz if memory serves. 2 oz difference and adjustable sights (a plus feature to many).

Its a nice gun, Im sure the craftsmanship is very good, but its not really a big change in any significant way compared to other available Rugers that I can tell, besides perhaps being an alloy Bisley grip frame, a combination one would have to specifically desire. I dont happen to be a fan of Bisley grip frames, so my opinion is not of much merit to those that prefer them and want an alloy grip frame. As mentioned, custom base pins and free spin pawls are available, though ive never used either. A kitchen table action slicking up is relatively simple and produces a very nice feel for those that are handy with tools.

Like many custom things, its nice, but is it significantly better in some ways to justify the cost, or is it justified by simply admiring the overall effect of the work and liking that its a little different than most? Thats the question any prospective buyer has to ask themselves.

If I had $2800 in the gun budget for something fun it would probably be an engraved Colt or Smith. I can do any action work needed.
    Last edited by Malamute; 05-04-2023 at 02:24 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I appreciate the concept and the craftsmanship. Similarly, I appreciate and enjoy my Ruger customized stainless steel 4.6" Blackhawk. But if I'm going to be in the bush, and want something in .45, it's liable to be my Glock G21. Because it's the bush....
    Mine would be my G20, otherwise completely agree. That's a fine barbecue gun. The sights are very cool. But, would need the right watch to go with it.

I don't think the price is excessive, particularly now that we've entered the age of $2k and up 2011's. That said, the design is derivative of Bowen's light weight Vaqueros from 25-years ago and the particular details are nothing new if you've been watching the custom single action market for the last couple of decades. To put it in 1911 terms, this sixgun is like a well done imitation of a Pachmayr Combat Special--a fine reproduction of a once innovative concept.

What warmed my heart was to see a well executed custom sixgun made by someone who is not rapidly approaching (or already beyond) retirement age I'm already pondering which of my single actions needs a trip to Tyler Gun Works.

A 0.003" Pass dimension for B-C gap is generally minimum. Tighter than that fouling and heat expansion may bind cylinder rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post

That’s where my $2,800 would go[emoji6]

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    I don't think the price is excessive, particularly now that we've entered the age of $2k and up 2011's. That said, the design is derivative of Bowen's light weight Vaqueros from 25-years ago and the particular details are nothing new if you've been watching the custom single action market for the last couple of decades. To put it in 1911 terms, this sixgun is like a well done imitation of a Pachmayr Combat Special--a fine reproduction of a once innovative concept.

What warmed my heart was to see a well executed custom sixgun made by someone who is not rapidly approaching (or already beyond) retirement age I'm already pondering which of my single actions needs a trip to Tyler Gun Works.
    I agree with your thoughts on tradition. Bowen's work borrows heavily from sixguns that Elmer Keith had built by Sedgley, Neal Houchins, and Harold Croft just after WWI, and it's good to see those ideas kept alive.

I balked at the price until I remembered that New Vaqueros now are pushing $1k. I'm not sure that some of the work in this package makes a meaningful difference, but I could definitely see sending a couple of pieces to Tyler's for upgrades that I've been putting off for too long.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List