Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First time with da/sa

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    If you liked the Sig P series, take a look at the SP2022 the latest evolution of the SigPro, for the price it is quite a nice gun if the Sig action works for you. A friend with XXL hands loves his.

Also the world is still awash in Sig P series police trades on Gunbroker that have been shot very little.

CZ P-07 as it comes out of the box is a nice gun. The Cajun GW guys certainly tune those up well.

I will say that I think the out of the box DA/SA HK's are the worst DA trigger out there. The LEM is a different animal, but I could never warm up to any of the HK DA/SA configurations.
    Mr. Sig, aka Bruce Gray, carried a Sig Pro/SP2022. Given his reputation, that says allot for the gun.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The first gun I purchased and only gun i have sold was a DA/SA sig p229. after shooting it head to head with a glock and M&P i was noticeably worse with the 229. I just did not like the DA/SA.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    Mr. Sig, aka Bruce Gray, carried a Sig Pro/SP2022. Given his reputation, that says allot for the gun.
    The SIG PRO is the only polymer framed Sig I'd consider. I doubt highly that Sig has any intention for updating the SIG PRO to include an optics cut, short reset trigger, or any other Sig goody.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Where are you located? I'll bet there's a bunch of people on here that would bring a suitcase full of guns for you to try.
    I think it would be great to meet up with someone but Id like to narrow it down first. The problem with the sigs is the weight and theres really no sub compact choices. Im looking at hangun hero and surprised how close the 229 is to a glock 19 but its 3/4 lb heavier.
    I just went an reaquainted myself with a P2000sk LEM doing dry fire and now I remember why I never gave the LEM a fair shake its all that trigger movement with no feedback before the wall.
    There is a gun store locally that typically carries HK im going to stop in this week and see if they have anything in dasa I can coonfinger.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I think it would be great to meet up with someone but Id like to narrow it down first. The problem with the sigs is the weight and theres really no sub compact choices. Im looking at hangun hero and surprised how close the 229 is to a glock 19 but its 3/4 lb heavier.
    I just went an reaquainted myself with a P2000sk LEM doing dry fire and now I remember why I never gave the LEM a fair shake its all that trigger movement with no feedback before the wall.
    There is a gun store locally that typically carries HK im going to stop in this week and see if they have anything in dasa I can coonfinger.
    229 is much thicker in real life than a g 19. p2000 or p07 are very close to g 19

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    229 is much thicker in real life than a g 19. p2000 or p07 are very close to g 19
    I think it was 1.2 vs 1.5 I assumed the 1.5 was at the controls. I dont know what the slide differences are. I know the first time I saw a PX4 I thought it looked huge its actually a lot closer to a 19 than I thought.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

The PX4 is made superb with a few modifications to suit the owner. I had my compact milled by LTT and mounted an RMR.

Up front, I'll have to admit I'm not up on all the latest, most modern, high-speed, low-drag, optic ready, LASER sighted, 20-30 round magazine pistols available now days, so can't comment on them. But I think you're doing the right thing in trying to handle, and perhaps shoot, any you're interested in. What I or others might think are just swell, might not suit you at all. All that being said, I do have some experience with several types of DA/SA pistols. I've used and carried DA/SA SIGs and S&Ws quite a lot over a good many years. Mine have been durable, accurate and reliable, with smooth DA triggers, and not overly light SAs. Since you mention XXL hands, the Beretta 92 series might be another worthy of consideration. The Beretta I had also had smooth DA, and not overly light SA. My CZ75s all had smooth DAs, and service type, not overly light SAs. The HK USP Expert was a fine pistol, but the relatively light and crisp 4# target type SA trigger might not be what you're looking for. My main criteria is functional reliability. All the pistols I've mentioned had that. Anyway, that's my 2¢ worth on a few DA/SAs I've had some experience with. Best of luck in your quest.

You can fondle all the guns you want and shoot a couple hundred rounds through them and find something that fits your hand well and be all happy with your choice. But once you put thousands of rounds through them the robustness of the Glock over the SIG is significant. I shot 20,000+ rounds through a couple SIG P220s and a couple hundred thousand through a Glock 21.

When pins break on a Glock you don't know you've broken a pin until you do a full strip of the gun. You wouldn't even know when you field stripped it if you had a broken pin. When the take-down lever pin on a SIG breaks the slide falls off the top of the gun.

When the trigger return spring breaks on a SIG you have a non-functional gun. The trigger swings limply and freely and does nothing. When the equivalent spring (I forget its name right now) breaks on a Glock you can manually push the trigger forward and it resets and you can fire another round. Yeah, that's limiting, but you are still in the fight.

Glock springs last forever, SIG springs (recoil) get all mangled after a couple thousand rounds and need replacement.

I'm really sorry to make this a Glock vs. SIG thread. I don't mean to do that.

But you said you weren't going to shoot it a lot so maybe it won't matter to you.

User Tag List