Page 205 of 260 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206207215255 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,050 of 2596

Thread: The Art and Science of Keeping Your 1911 Running

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    does it behave the same way when using 8's in the same manner?
    does it behave the same way when using the 10 rnd mag with one less, or two less in the mag?
    Quote Originally Posted by js475 View Post
    The gun feeds the top round just fine when I reload from slide lock on a full 10 rd mag, and it cycles fine with 9+1.

8 rd mags have no issues whatsoever even topped off to 8+1.

It's only when I top off a 10 rd mag to 10+1 that after the first round is fired the next round nosedives into the feedramp about 30-40% of the time.

I wonder if 10 round mags from various manufacturers have various tube lengths.

What if brand A is at the very edge of bottoming out with 10 rounds and compressed spring diameter?
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Random question—to those carrying 1911s as EDC or duty guns, how much weight are you putting on the 10-8 extractor test? I understand the purpose is to isolate and test extractor tension, but practically if a gun runs without malfunctioning, should I do this test also?

Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts are. I don’t want to fix something that isn’t broke.

Quote Originally Posted by thatguybryan View Post
    Random question—to those carrying 1911s as EDC or duty guns, how much weight are you putting on the 10-8 extractor test? I understand the purpose is to isolate and test extractor tension, but practically if a gun runs without malfunctioning, should I do this test also?

Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts are. I don’t want to fix something that isn’t broke.
    I don't use the 10-8 test and my 1911's all run, even my DW 9mm's.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    I don't use the 10-8 test and my 1911's all run, even my DW 9mm's.
    I did the test when I first purchased the pistol, then again after I had the RMRCC direct milled. Probably 2 years after purchase.
    Passed both times.
    Had a stuck casing just a few weeks ago, but it was not the extractor... Case had to be removed with a rod.
    Cheap reloaded ammo... My bad.
    It passed again after that incident.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Never used it, no issues.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Has anyone tried any of the offerings from Fusion? They’re generally priced in the Ruger/ base-SA/Colt range.

I know it’s Bob Serva’s company and at least in the past they seemed to have a spotty reputation but I haven’t seen any recent feedback.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I use it as part of my new gun/new setup/new carry ammo test, and I especially like it for things that fall outside of the normal 1911 parameters. I have two 1911s with external extractors, and one of those is a 4" bull barrel 9mm. Having both pass that test, among others, with carry ammo is reassuring. It's done its job identifying extractor issues in one of those, which needed an extra power extractor spring, and in a gun with an internal extractor that just needed some more tension.

That said, if you shoot your gun a lot and shoot it to empty frequently, and 1) it works, in including robust extraction, and 2) it's never dragging the last empty case back into the magazine feed lips or leaving it bouncing around in the ejection port on top the empty mag, then you're probably good. If those things ever start, that's when I'd run the test to see if your extractor needs retensioning or replacement.

I do it on the guns I mess with...

I have two ACWs that I have never done the test. Neither are carry guns but have not had any issues with them.

My carry guns, to include my own extractor installs, I do the test.

if brass is up against the extractor or the brass has evidence of contact, I re fit and part of my initial testing includes the 10-8 test.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Has anyone tried any of the offerings from Fusion? They’re generally priced in the Ruger/ base-SA/Colt range.

I know it’s Bob Serva’s company and at least in the past they seemed to have a spotty reputation but I haven’t seen any recent feedback.
    I had one of their Freedom Series guns for a time. It shot fine and functioned fine, no problems with it. The slide and frame were of good material and manufacture, but I felt the small parts were cheaply made. I bent the thumb safety while trying to insert it during reassembly and had to replace it. It hadn't taken much force to bend it.

I've bought a few SA guns recently and if their quality is representative of the guns they are building then I'd take a current Springfield over a Fusion without question.

It's totally possible that Fusion's higher end guns are of better quality. They should be for the price.

User Tag List