Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Dogs killing people

I’m on my third pit mix, the other two lived to 13 and 16 before having to be put to sleep for health issues. All have been the biggest babies. Lol. My current one turns 3 tomorrow. We go to the dog park and little dogs give him the business, and he’s like “forget this I’m outta here” and goes to play with other dogs

I’ve never had any issues with dogs at work, pits or others, strays or at their homes, until I was attacked by a German Shepherd last October. It was a dog that left its yard and was by the neighbors who called us. I got to the house, saw the dog chilling next to the caller in the yard, less than 5 seconds of me getting out of my squad it launched and attacked me and sunk its teeth all the way down into my arm until the little teeth in front bottomed out on my arm and made shallow cuts between to holes and tear from the large teeth. I ended up falling on my back.

It came at me a second time while I was on the ground, but didn’t bite that time. Then all of a sudden it was mellow again, and I got it into my squad, because I was worried it may attack someone else. That’s when I felt the blood running down my arm, I was wearing a long sleeve dark navy uniform shirt, so I didn’t see it at first.

You never know when any dog will snap. To be honest I would’ve shot it when it came at me the second time when I was on the ground, if I would’ve had a safe/clear shot.

The kind of ironic part is I’m the one that loves getting the dog calls to try to get them home, and I always keep treats in my squad bag.

While there are dogs that just snap, I think a lot of/most of the problem is a-holes that make their dogs mean, because then they’re cool because they have a tough, scary dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post
    I’m on my third pit mix, the other two lived to 13 and 16 before having to be put to sleep for health issues. All have been the biggest babies. Lol. My current one turns 3 tomorrow. We go to the dog park and little dogs give him the business, and he’s like “forget this I’m outta here” and goes to play with other dogs

I’ve never had any issues with dogs at work, pits or others, strays or at their homes, until I was attacked by a German Shepherd last October. It was a dog that left its yard and was by the neighbors who called us. I got to the house, saw the dog chilling next to the caller in the yard, less than 5 seconds of me getting out of my squad it launched and attacked me and sunk its teeth all the way down into my arm until the little teeth in front bottomed out on my arm and made shallow cuts between to holes and tear from the large teeth. I ended up falling on my back.

It came at me a second time while I was on the ground, but didn’t bite that time. Then all of a sudden it was mellow again, and I got it into my squad, because I was worried it may attack someone else. That’s when I felt the blood running down my arm, I was wearing a long sleeve dark navy uniform shirt, so I didn’t see it at first.

You never know when any dog will snap. To be honest I would’ve shot it when it came at me the second time when I was on the ground, if I would’ve had a safe/clear shot.

The kind of ironic part is I’m the one that loves getting the dog calls to try to get them home, and I always keep treats in my squad bag.

While there are dogs that just snap, I think a lot of/most of the problem is a-holes that make their dogs mean, because then they’re cool because they have a tough, scary dog.
    What penalty for the owner carries an incident like this in the US?

Depends on the laws in each municipality/state I guess.
    In my case the owner received citations and the dog was declared a dangerous animal and it needed to be removed from our jurisdiction or carry a large insurance policy.

Site Supporter
    Buddy just called me on the way to the hospital. His daughter was attacked by her neighbors Pit Bull while she was trying to lift the downed fence (70+ winds here last night) between their yards. The dog broke her forearm (both bones), tore up her hand and other lacerations. Dog attacked PD when they showed up and the officer shot it dead (apparently shot it out of the air... nice job).

Dog and Daughter were familiar with each other... no previous issues... just the fence/territorial I suppose.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Sad. For her.

Right conclusion, for the dog.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Buddy just called me on the way to the hospital. His daughter was attacked by her neighbors Pit Bull while she was trying to lift the downed fence (70+ winds here last night) between their yards. The dog broke her forearm (both bones), tore up her hand and other lacerations. Dog attacked PD when they showed up and the officer shot it dead (apparently shot it out of the air... nice job).

Dog and Daughter were familiar with each other... no previous issues... just the fence/territorial I suppose.
    Nasty. Hope she recovers full use of her arm.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Ultimately that's a lot of the same BS anti-gun types run against guns. Move the goalposts, ignore the whole truth, just scream and stomp your feet until you get results congruent with your confirmation bias. Convince other people who have no experience via pretty graphs and cute pictures of safe & happy kids and soft colors. It's formulaic at this point.
    Give me a break.

Fact: No firearm in the history of firearms has escaped its enclosure, pen, or other storage area and prowled a neighborhood looking for victims. No firearm in the history of firearms has, of its own volition, attacked multiple people leaving them permanently scarred, disabled, or dead.

Pitbulls and other dogs like them are more dangerous than all other breeds. Everyone knows this, pretending people are just playing with numbers is infantile. There is a reason thugs like those breeds, and it isn't because they are good family dogs. There is a reason shelters are filled with those breeds, and it isn't because they turned out to be too friendly.

Pitbulls "snap" and chew peoples faces off. Know what will never do that? Every firearm I own.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TSH View Post
    Give me a break.

Fact: No firearm in the history of firearms has escaped its enclosure, pen, or other storage area and prowled a neighborhood looking for victims. No firearm in the history of firearms has, of its own volition, attacked multiple people leaving them permanently scarred, disabled, or dead.

Pitbulls and other dogs like them are more dangerous than all other breeds. Everyone knows this, pretending people are just playing with numbers is infantile. There is a reason thugs like those breeds, and it isn't because they are good family dogs. There is a reason shelters are filled with those breeds, and it isn't because they turned out to be too friendly.

Pitbulls "snap" and chew peoples faces off. Know what will never do that? Every firearm I own.
    In your responsible hands no a gun won’t do that. But neither will a dog even of a dangerous breed. The key word is responsibility and knowing what you are handling. Your forgetting the human factor. Not everyone should own dogs. Just as not everyone should own firearms. Your either responsible for it or your not.
    Last edited by camel; 03-04-2023 at 07:17 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TSH View Post
    Give me a break.

Post dates matter. I haven't been involved in this thread for some time, but ok dude. Great job articulating how you're deliberately misunderstanding what I was trying to say, all while clearly indicating you're not interested in trying to understand at all.

Do me the courtesy of reading the rest of my responses and discussion in this thread. If you'd like, I'm happy to revisit and further discuss my side of things if you're interested in having a genuine conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    In your responsible hands no a gun won’t do that. But neither will a dog even of a dangerous breed. The key word is responsibility and knowing what you are handling. Your forgetting the human factor. Not everyone should own dogs. Just as not everyone should own firearms. Your either responsible for it or your not.
    Not only should a lot of people not own dogs, a lot of people shouldn't own a game dog.

User Tag List