Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Provisional Limited Optics

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    ETA, I love the concept of IDPA, but the execution utterly sucks. It was barely a “action” shooting sport, and the 1 point / one second down rule killed any notion of that. That’s when I bailed.
    Found the guy who shot like 2 IDPA matches and got junked by the accuracy standard

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    With 8 round arrays, aren't you still reloading between every array or going to slide lock without a single make up shot with 15 round magazines?
    True, but that is highly dependent on stage design. One of the things the new rulebook is cleaning up is the definitions/requirements for Short, Medium, and Long courses. Instead of limiting us to no more than 2 shooting locations on a short course, or 3 on a medium, the 2023 iteration of the rulebook is just going to specify you have to follow the no more than 8 shots required from any one location or view. So if a stag designer wanted to, they can have 6 targets and 6 locations to engage them from on a short course.

I personally don’t like “go here and shoot 8 shots, go here and shoot 8 shot, go here…” stages. Boring and lazy IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Found the guy who shot like 2 IDPA matches and got junked by the accuracy standard
    Which reminds me of a Taurus story even though long before you got on with them...

There was a gunzine writer here who got in all sorts of interesting T&E stuff.
    He told me and another IDPA shooter that Taurus was coming out with a line of moon clip revolvers including competition oriented models and he would provide us with his samples to wring out at matches. We were excited, I put up my automatic and started practicing with a revolver so as to be in shape for his Latest and Greatest. Nothing ever appeared, though.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    I personally don’t like “go here and shoot 8 shots, go here and shoot 8 shot, go here…” stages. Boring and lazy IMO.
    Even though limited by indoor range bays, the Wednesday match here usually avoids that. One may find 4, 6, or 8 shots available from different locations. Occasionally an overlap making it possible but not required to fire 10; which my Lim 10 brain likes.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

It might be an interesting thread comparing USPSA hit factors to IDPA scoring.

Focusing on a USPSA Charlie vs down -1 in IDPA. As I understand it, -1 in IDPA costs you a second, equal to a hit factor of 1. In USPSA, a Charlie shooting minor (3 points not 5) costs you .40 second at a 5 hit factor and .3 at a 7.5 hit factor (pretty common range of hit factors for USPSA). Please check my IDPA math.

That means accuracy is rewarded, or penalized depending upon your perspective, about 2.5-3.5 times as much in IDPA as USPSA. Is that appropriate or too much slanted towards "bullseye?"
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

There will never be a 15 round limit for any division while RO's only have 10 fingers and wear shoes. Just accept it. It's 10 or less, or a mag measurement, and no one wants to make a new mag gauge so there are 2 choices for mag length.

With 8 round arrays, aren't you still reloading between every array or going to slide lock without a single make up shot with 15 round magazines?
    I posted earlier that the art of 8 round neutral stage design has been lost to many.

Let me tell you a stage I shot two years ago. There was 8 rounds from one position, then you moved to a barricade. There were 24 rounds from that barricade. The reasoning I was given was, well you can shoot 8 rounds around the right, 8 around the left, and 8 more left. I didn’t argue, not my place. I stuffed my 23 round CO mag on the way and shot dry. Heck, having only a 22 round mag was going to cost you. Oh, I think I shot 3 on the right, went far left, and worked my way back.

Site Supporter
    Old debate. What to festishize and in what combo, speed vs. accuracy. At our indoor match, a really fast guy wins with with about 30 As and 26 Cs. Given our distances, is that many peripheral hits really good? Just an ON DA STREETZ argument. With my crappy legs, it is just go over there and shoot 8 or 10. So do I do that array well, that's the best I can do. A guy with a RDS G19 also gets about 30 and 26. Iron sights single stack 49 and 6, production G17 52 and 4. The single stack guy is fast, the production guy (me) is slower than crap as I walk to positions. The SO says I get too many As. Perhaps.

Next time, SRO - G17, Gen 5. I don't know the answer to this debate except to get out of each sport what you want within the rule structure. If I ever (fantasy) have to shoot at three guys, I want the 6 As at a reasonable speed, which I can do. Do I have to run to the next 4 guys? Probably not. The 75 year old Flash - nah!
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

It might be an interesting thread comparing USPSA hit factors to IDPA scoring.

Focusing on a USPSA Charlie vs down -1 in IDPA. As I understand it, -1 in IDPA costs you a second, equal to a hit factor of 1. In USPSA, a Charlie shooting minor (3 points not 5) costs you .40 second at a 5 hit factor and .3 at a 7.5 hit factor (pretty common range of hit factors for USPSA). Please check my IDPA math.

That means accuracy is rewarded, or penalized depending upon your perspective, about 2.5-3.5 times as much in IDPA as USPSA. Is that appropriate or too much slanted towards "bullseye?"
    That's a good way to compare. And IDPA has a fixed hit factor, which is why the shooting isn't that interesting to me. I've shot USPSA stages where the HHF was 3 or below, and most people shot 1.5 to 2.5. Maybe the most interesting are stages that have a mix of target difficulties and a HF below 5. You can't drop points on the close "easy" targets.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    3 Division IDPA master, 2 time high Expert Nationals title. 1 4th place master at IDPA Nationals (before DM division, or it might have been first or second).

So I guess it was 3 matches, not 2?

I really really don’t like to throw out achievements, and I know it’s a far cry from what many here have achieved, but feel like I’m being called out.

It’s disheartening to see someone that openly represents a firearms manufacturer be so condescending.

User Tag List