Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: AR 10 Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    I considered and then discarded the Sig 716i - it does not come with an adjustable gas block; for me would be necessary as I would be shooting it both unsuppressed and suppressed. It appears AR10s are much less forgiving than AR15s are when it comes to gas setup, especially with a suppressor. India adopted it and ordered a ton a few years ago...and just recently cancelled the contract because "Reasons". Now, if those reasons are India being India (who will attempt to copy it and introduce their own vastly inferior version, but be proud about it) or Sig being Sig (maybe sending broken crap that didn't meet the TDP, or substituting stuff from one product line for another)...who knows. If I were never going to shoot this with a can on it, it would honestly probably already be in my safe; everything else about it screams "this is a good buy for what you're getting". Accuracy is ok, reliability is good (unsuppressed), for the moment Sig is supporting it. Now, 5 years from now Sig might drop it, too...and now that India has cancelled their contract, it seems more likely that this will follow the Sig 55x series of guns into the sunset. But, that's just my thoughts on it, I could be wrong.
    I found articles from the beginning of May of last year announcing the 716i contract was to be cancelled.

And articles from the middle/end of May of last year saying the 716i contract was going to get a, "repeat order," from the Indian government. A further article from September of last year appears to support the latter May article saying the Indian government bought more 716is.

So what I guess I'm saying is that I'm having difficulty finding anything firm saying one way or the other. Do you have a source that can definitively say?
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I found articles from the beginning of May of last year announcing the 716i contract was to be cancelled.

And articles from the middle/end of May of last year saying the 716i contract was going to get a, "repeat order," from the Indian government. A further article from September of last year appears to support the latter May article saying the Indian government bought more 716is.

So what I guess I'm saying is that I'm having difficulty finding anything firm saying one way or the other. Do you have a source that can definitively say?
    There's a big thread on arfcom (link goes to a post from someone who works at Sig) about the 716...be warned that the thread creator is a huge huge huge huge (huge, and more huge) fan of the 716 so take what they say / opine on with a grain of salt...but, from what I read from that thread, some of the linked threads in it, as well as similar threads on Sniper's Hide, the cancellation is a recent (within 6-8 months) thing. There's a link in there to an India-specific defense forum with some other information, as well as some stuff buried in a Sniper's Hide thread that I don't have at my fingertips

Now, maybe this changes again? Maybe Sig says the right magic words to the right Indian defense minister, followed by a pallet of portraits of Benjamin Franklin and then suddenly the contract gets renewed? I have no idea. Literally my only dislike about the Sig was the non-adjustable gas block; the proprietary everything-else-parts doesn't scare me away, the fact that it's a Sig and they might drop support for it tomorrow doesn't scare me away so much...but needing to swap out that gas block - it sounds dumb, I know, but that's my "nope, not gonna bother" line in the sand.

User Tag List