Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ban on marijuana users owning guns unconstitutional, U.S. judge rules

I always find it amusing that people lump marijuana into the same category as Crack and heavier drugs (hunter biden). I also find it amusing when people who drink heavily have a strong opinion against marijuana. I don't use it but I have a lot of friends who have benefited tremendously from thc and cbd. The idea that it is still federally illegal while people drink copious amounts of alcohol willy nilly is hilarious. Only reason alcohol is ok and marijuana is not, is old thought processes and plugging of ears

And yes, if I could guarantee my job and my right to firearms I would use thc

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    As much as I detest pot, potheads, and their associated culture, Marijuana use is not as detrimental as opioid, meth or cocaine abuse.

This ruling doesn't extend beyond Marijuana so Hunter Biden is still on the hook as both a habitual unlawful drug user and for lying on a 4473.
    I don't know enough about a pothead culture to detest it, but I would add alcohol to your list of "not as detrimental as" and that is legal. Not sure if pot makes you more or less inebriated, but I have read that you cannot (at least at the time) ingest enough pure marijuana to kill you but you can easily drink enough to do so (think the last statistic I saw was 4X as much as to make you "drunk" whatever that meant).

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    As much as I detest pot, potheads, and their associated culture, Marijuana use is not as detrimental as opioid, meth or cocaine abuse.

This ruling doesn't extend beyond Marijuana so Hunter Biden is still on the hook as both a habitual unlawful drug user and for lying on a 4473.
    Nor as detrimental/destructive as alcohol abuse, IMO. If you listen to what Jordan Peterson has to say about alcohol and what Andrew Huberman has to say about weed, you might want to put them both down... But my opinion on alcohol vs pot is based on about 30 years of having a front row seat to observe the effects of those substances on people's lives. Fairly large sample group.

(For the record, absent a felony conviction, I don't imagine that the current rules prohibiting pot smokers from possessing firearms is really doing much at all.)
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

The article linked above links to the order: https://fingfx.thomsonreuters.com/gf...23harrison.pdf

"The officer asked Harrison to step out of his car. When he did, the officer noticed
    that Harrison was wearing an ankle monitor. Harrison told the officer that he was on
    probation in Texas for an aggravated assault."

Generally speaking, what's the legality of guns and probation (for a violent crime, no less)?

(as far as the general topic, IMHO MJ prohibition has all the advantages and disadvantages of alcohol prohibition. )

Site Supporter
    As someone who suffers from chronic pain due to neck injury and has experienced benefits from use of CBD products, I Iook forward to the unlinking of Marijuana and gun rights.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    The article linked above links to the order: https://fingfx.thomsonreuters.com/gf...23harrison.pdf

Generally speaking, what's the legality of guns and probation (for a violent crime, no less)?
    Firearms possession would be a technical violation of probation, a statutory violation, and then there would also be felon in possession. So at least three hits depending on how the condition of probation were written.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Good. If it were up to me, 922(g) would be limited to people with convictions for violent felonies and sex crime related felonies, people adjudicated mentally defective, and aliens present in the country illegally. 922(d) would be modified for the new (g) but leave 922(d)(10) and modified (11). I’d also pretty much gut the rest of 922 that didn’t deal with FFLs and stolen firearms. I’d leave 924(c), (h), (j), (l), (m), and (o).
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Nor as detrimental/destructive as alcohol abuse, IMO. If you listen to what Jordan Peterson has to say about alcohol and what Andrew Huberman has to say about weed, you might want to put them both down... But my opinion on alcohol vs pot is based on about 30 years of having a front row seat to observe the effects of those substances on people's lives. Fairly large sample group.

(For the record, absent a felony conviction, I don't imagine that the current rules prohibiting pot smokers from possessing firearms is really doing much at all.)
    I’ve seen the destruction both alcohol abuse and marijuana abuse cause first hand.

I don’t need to listen to anyone’s podcast on either matter.

The “weed is no worse than alcohol” argument is not a positive one for weed. Alcohol is just culturally embedded.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    I don't know enough about a pothead culture to detest it, but I would add alcohol to your list of "not as detrimental as" and that is legal. Not sure if pot makes you more or less inebriated, but I have read that you cannot (at least at the time) ingest enough pure marijuana to kill you but you can easily drink enough to do so (think the last statistic I saw was 4X as much as to make you "drunk" whatever that meant).

I’ve seen the destruction both alcohol abuse and marijuana abuse cause first hand.

The “weed is no worse than alcohol” argument is not a positive one for weed. Alcohol is just culturally embedded.

Regardless, neither is as quickly and certainly destructive as opioid, cocaine or meth abuse.
    Last edited by HCM; 02-05-2023 at 10:48 AM.

User Tag List