Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Okay SMEs, what should this woman have done?

/IF/ I were married, with kids or not, my house would have no less than 2 GSDs. And a woman that competes in USPSA/IDPA with me, and goes to Gunsite/Rogers with me.

This is a demonstration that ignorance is not bliss. Ignorance is painful, embarrassing, and costly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    /IF/ I were married, with kids or not, my house would have no less than 2 GSDs. And a woman that competes in USPSA/IDPA with me, and goes to Gunsite/Rogers with me.

This is a demonstration that ignorance is not bliss. Ignorance is painful, embarrassing, and costly.
    If you start manufacturing perfect women up there in Dayton let me know.

On a side note you have a pm and a couple e-mails from me. (A smart man would take the hint, but, I'm not smart man. )
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Site Supporter

Easy to see why your post starts with the word "IF."

I have had a couple of posts and several PMs asking for more info ref my door kicking comments. I'm going to post something on it's own ref that, and I have been asked to write something up for the Ballistic Radio site.

More to follow when I get a chance to write that up properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    Easy to see why your post starts with the word "IF."
    Yep. High standards. I gotts 'em.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    I have had a couple of posts and several PMs asking for more info ref my door kicking comments. I'm going to post something on it's own ref that, and I have been asked to write something up for the Ballistic Radio site.

More to follow when I get a chance to write that up properly.
    Outstanding!
    3/15/2016

from 41Mag:
    I’ll let you to draw your own conclusions regarding the what, when and where of being armed is really all about, but I happen to believe it has very little to do with caliber, ammo, holster or weapon selection. I’ve investigated a lot of violent crimes against civilians and these details hardly - if ever - determine the outcome. Feel free to disagree .... I hope your choices work out for you.
    Strongly agree. I've had the chance to review literally thousands of shootings to various degrees and have found that those things we often tend to talk about the most (caliber, ammo, holster, weapon selection) rarely have much impact on the outcome, as you said. It might make us feel good, but that's about it.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Although equipment details (ammo, gun, holster, etc.) often may not be directly relevant to outcomes of defensive situations, they may be indirectly relevant. Mindset is pretty important. Confidence in one's equipment and abilities with that equipment are an important component of mindset. So I think equipment matters in that way.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    Strongly agree. I've had the chance to review literally thousands of shootings to various degrees and have found that those things we often tend to talk about the most (caliber, ammo, holster, weapon selection) rarely have much impact on the outcome, as you said. It might make us feel good, but that's about it.
    Yes, but isn't this a function of both the anecdotal nature of these events and the data collection?

For, example, I recently reviewed a long term analysis of the use of firearms in bear attacks. The data showed handguns to be slightly more effective than long guns in stopping an attack, and various other findings on caliber and otherwise that any experienced hunter of large animals would know to be illogical. So do I ditch my 45-70 with Garrett hard cast ammo in exchange for a .357 revolver with over the counter JHP ammo, based on the "data?"

While caliber/ammo/holster/weapon selection might not have jumped out to you amongst all the different variables in the shootings you studied, I have no doubt if we held the other variables constant, varied just caliber/ammo/holster/weapon selection, and had a large enough sample, those variables would be significant.

Bill, you think in terms of a man's world. I am sure your wife sees it as "I have a husband that shoots with me at USPSA/IDPA matches, and goes to Gunsite/Rogers with me."

User Tag List