Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Massachusetts State Police Upgrades to Smith & Wesson M&P[emoji2400] M2.0 as Official

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    I'm pretty solidified around 9mm Glocks myself, but with the future uncertain, I'm also interested in investing in platforms that are natively 10 rounds or less that fill the same size profiles. And, right or wrong, if I have to compromise on capacity, I want to be throwing more bullet per bullet.
    Since I already have an Apex'ed 1.0 M&P45, it's little brother as a G19 equivalent in .45 is appealing.
    Yeah. A 10 round mag limit is virtual certainty in Washington. I have a pile of 10 round Glock 19 PMAGS I need to vet, I've just not got around to it.

Right now, I've got a couple forces working in my world: 1) The desire to go with red-dots and 2) the possibility of a mag limit.

If I can get my G19s to run reliably with 10-round PMAGS, I have to decide if it makes sense to get the slides milled, put new slides on them, or buy new guns.

If I'm not happy with the G19 reliability, and I'm switching platforms, maybe it will make sense to switch calibers as well? If I do an autopistol caliber switch, it'll be to .45. I wore out the idea of 10mm and walked away, and don't really care for .40.

Or.. the wild card option is just to double down on revolvers, and consolidate into GP100s for woods guns, Smith 66-8s as town guns, and J-frames as my La Vida J frame guns.

Yep. That's me hijacking the thread and thinking out loud.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

My primary shooting gun is a 2.0 5" 9mm (Qty2), and my primary carry gun is a 2.0 4" Compact.

I have a 1.0 45 full size in a bedside locker with a Streamlight on it and the 14rd mag (with 10-8 baseplate). If I lived in a ban state that would get more carry. As I approach retirement, maybe I should consider it to be a good travel gun? CO will be hard to avoid, a buddy owns a couple of houses there...

In the past the .45 1.0 trade in guns were smoking bargains, and there are 2-3k that are a out to be introduced intonthe market.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Slap a spare 2.0 backstrap on that baby and you've got yourself a pretty sweet shooter for $320 if my M&P 40 1.0 is any indication.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Slap a spare 2.0 backstrap on that baby and you've got yourself a pretty sweet shooter for $320 if my M&P 40 1.0 is any indication.
    I've got a police trade-in M&P45 Compact 1.0 like these, albeit with thumb safety. It's my favorite .45 for carry and a damned sweet shooter, better than my .40s which aren't too shabby. I got 2.0 backstraps for all four of my 1.0 M&Ps and they do help.

In 2009 I was involved in testing several contenders for the next service pistol for our department. It was either stay with Glock (in the new gen 4 flavor), Smith M&P, SIG P250, or Beretta PX4 DAO. The hope was to present officers with their choice of caliber in these platforms.

Really it was between Glock and M&P; the Beretta needed a shuttle bus between the back strap and the trigger -- no good for small hands -- and the P250 was a complete dumpster fire.

Anyway.. the point of this anecdote is that I was impressed with the M&P .45 (more so than its .40 or 9mm brethren). It was reliable, accurate, soft-shooting, and sized for most human hands (unlike a G21).

(Epilogue: we stuck with Glocks and most of the department went to 9mm, so...wisdom.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    MSP troopers only qual once a year, so most of these probably have a low round count.

The Mass state Police are switching to Sig P-320 with Optic. Word is the current recruit class has been issued pistols and have completed firearms training. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    NH SP did the same thing. Interesting that they both stuck with 45acp.
    I suspect it's a winter/multiple layers of thick clothing penetration sort of thing, given the geographic locations of the states we're discussing.

Given the improved performance of all JHP cartridges in recent years, has anyone tested the comparative penetration with multiple clothing layers with contemporary duty/defensive cartridges to see if there's still validity to the premise of .45 ACP's superiority in this performance area?

I've got to admit, .45 ACP/.40 tend to be my default cartridge/platforms in winter as well, so I'm kind of curious.

Best, Jon

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by stinx View Post
    The Mass state Police are switching to Sig P-320 with Optic. Word is the current recruit class has been issued pistols and have completed firearms training. YMMV
    Would be interested to see what optic. I was looking at a DP Pro for my M17-B before I got the safety concerns in my head again. Now I'm thinking DP Pro or RMR2 for my G17 Gen 5.

I still have yet to take the optic leap despite now having 3 optics-ready pistols. It's just not freakin' cheap, almost like buying another gun, and I've got a monster of astigmatism and don't want to choose wrong.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List