Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations Wanted - NJ Instructor

Site Supporter

Recommendations Wanted - NJ Instructor

I am looking for recommendations for an instructor in New Jersey, preferably in or not too far from the Essex County area, to provide solid basic instruction to two women, at least one of whom has some experience and familiarity with guns and shooting. Both of them are very liberal, one of them is gay and both have had some pretty negative experiences with men in or adjacent to their lives in the past. They are also very smart with powerful personalities. Think "Well Behaved Women Never Make History" but without the bumper sticker. I like them a lot even though we disagree on a lot politically, for what it's worth, and one of them I care about very much.

With all that as background, ideally, I'd like to be able to recommend a good female instructor or two for them to talk to because my gut sense is that they would be more comfortable with a woman. But anybody who is a solid instructor, doesn't talk down to women (inadvertently or not), is generally able to meet people where they are and basically won't turn them off the whole endeavor would be a welcome recommendation. I understand that NJ is enacting training requirements in connection with obtaining a permit and getting that certification would be one of the goals. I know we have some forum members from NJ and I trust you for a recommendation for them. Thanks in advance.

Sadly, all the people I can think of, are men.
    Depending on where they are in Essex County, they could try the big 2 ranges... Gun 4 Hire and RTSP. If they're willing to drive a bit, I can recommend a good gentleman who's an NRA instructor who also teaches an IDPA intro course.
    And finally, if they're willing to come to Somerset County, I'd be willing to guest them both of them to club range i'm a member of, and go over some basics.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I suggest you reach out to Chris Fry at MDTS Training, https://mdtstraining.com/about/

Back when I lived in NJ I took several classes with him, and the quality was first rate. Not sure what his class situation is nowadays but I bet he can refer you to someone if he does not have local classes that meet your need.

Site Supporter
    Thank you both, and thanks @hufnagel for the generous offer. I'll pass that on and I'd appreciate that recommendation if you think he'd be a good fit. A man is fine as long as he's good. My only concern is that they not get turned off by the experience and the instructor can deal with their politics to the extent it comes out.

I think highly of Stu, the IDPA gentleman I'd recommend. He's an ex-pat Brit, who is a straight shooter, no nonsense type of person.

As for politics all I can say is, the extent they'll be challenged will be the extent they present it. If everyone agrees that we're just here to make hot sauce, then that's all we'll do.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3

Site Supporter
    Thank you. I appreciate that. Can you PM Stu's contact when you have a minute?

I think these women will be favorably impressed by an established male instructor, assuming references here can help them dodge the Movie Drill Sergeant type that we hear of.

I think they will be gratified by the Gun Culture as a whole. Most of us are pretty nice folks, welcoming to new shooters.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

If you can't find anyone else, you might contact Onsight Firearms Training. Ben, Rachel and the crew primarily serve Long Island. They may be able to point you in a good direction.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I think these women will be favorably impressed by an established male instructor, assuming references here can help them dodge the Movie Drill Sergeant type that we hear of.

I think they will be gratified by the Gun Culture as a whole. Most of us are pretty nice folks, welcoming to new shooters.
    It's why I offered to take them myself, if need be. I'm no certified NRA instructor or high speed low drag type. I'm just a dad who likes his Hawai'ian style shirts in the summer, and goofy cycling jerseys. I've even successfully had a woman go who was so scared of firearms it took almost 2 years for her to decide to go. She spent the first 20 minutes there, watching me shoot (.22.lr subsonics, to keep the boom down), as she was as she stated, afraid to touch a gun. When it was over she was still nervous, but had a good time and even said my favorite words ever... "it's nothing like the movies."
    Last edited by hufnagel; 07-12-2022 at 10:15 PM.

User Tag List