Page 561 of 684 FirstFirst ... 61461511551559560561562563571611661 ... LastLast
Results 5,601 to 5,610 of 6837

Thread: Beretta 1301 Tactical

Quote Originally Posted by Guns&Guitars View Post
    The shotgun doesn't know what the box says or what you're using the slugs for (deer, home defense, zeroing the shotgun at distance at the range, etc.)

But with that said, those slugs are definitely going to wake you up if you aren't awake yet and haven't had your morning coffee. At 1760 fps they'll pack a bit of a wallop. I shot plenty of Federal Power Shot rifled slugs though my 1301 when I first got it, and used those to zero the shotgun at 50 yards (1610 fps). Later picked up some Fiocchi rifled slugs that were 7/8 oz. low recoil (1300 fps) and my 1301 loves these. Super accurate and fun to shoot if you're in a class shooting high volumes, etc.
    thanks for the info.

I was more concerned with the ammo info relating to smoothbore and the 1301T having a OBHP-IC choke. I am sure those rounds have been around a minute compared to the 1301T/LTT concept.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    quick question on slugs. if this was already mentioned in a previous post, I did a search and did not locate any info.

I have access to these slugs pic below.

does anyone see any issues using these in the 1301Tactical?

maybe long term use might cause extended wear?

It does say for smoothbore, so maybe a choke change. Suggestions if they are acceptable?

While the box is marked deer, it also said for home defense.

I must admit my shotty knowledge has been limited to 870 and defense with 00 buck/slug for 30 years.

if you think these rounds are not good for the 1301, I am ok with not using them.

thanks in advance

Those Winchester slugs are “Foster” style slugs. Soft lead with a hollow base/skirt designed to obturate and fill the bore.
    In flight the hollow base stabilizes the slug like the skirt on a badminton birdie.

They won’t harm the bore of any modern shotgun but they will lead the bore heavily. My red dot equipped Stoeger will put them into 3” at 50 yards from standing.

One year our HQ bean counter ordered crap ammo for everything, he must have gotten a sale on Winchester’s 1 oz low recoil Foster slugs. They were actually great and I found guys hoarding them years later until they turned in their shotguns for carbines.

they have been in the police academy inventory for years. they were bought by mistake by someone who just bought slugs without realizing there is a difference.

No one likes them (HA, I wonder why). We have some older 870s that are 2.75" only... so I dont take them as I cadet might try to force one in.

I thought about trying some in the 1301 in the next academy, but I have plenty of modern stuff.

I might see if the director can trade them in.

thanks for the info.

I was more concerned with the ammo info relating to smoothbore and the 1301T having a OBHP-IC choke. I am sure those rounds have been around a minute compared to the 1301T/LTT concept.
    Sorry if I was clear in my reply earlier. I have the stock choke that came with my Gen3 1301T (7+1 version) and have put over 100 rifled slugs of various flavors through it with no issues. Like a previous poster mentioned, they will lead the barrel quite a bit, so you just have to have some patience when cleaning it. I found a bore snake useless, and also found brass brushes to be of no use, even when I hit the bore with a patch soaked in Hoppes and let it sit for a bit. The Hoppes Tornado brush was the only thing that worked to get the barrel free of lead on both my 590A1 and 1301 after running each shotgun in a class firing over 500 rounds of rifled slugs, 00 buck and 7.5-8 birdshot.

Your shotgun will be just fine with rifled slugs.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    quick question on slugs. if this was already mentioned in a previous post, I did a search and did not locate any info.

I have access to these slugs pic below.

does anyone see any issues using these in the 1301Tactical?

maybe long term use might cause extended wear?

It does say for smoothbore, so maybe a choke change. Suggestions if they are acceptable?

While the box is marked deer, it also said for home defense.

I must admit my shotty knowledge has been limited to 870 and defense with 00 buck/slug for 30 years.

if you think these rounds are not good for the 1301, I am ok with not using them.

thanks in advance

"Rifled" slugs do not require rifling in the barrel. They have the cutouts on them to swage down the bore hopefully providing better accuracy. In some guns I'm sure they will shoot very accurately. In some they won't.

Like buckshot, you have to try different slugs in your gun to figure out which ones shoot accurately and to the correct point of aim in your gun.

Those are 3" magnum slugs moving at near maximum velocity you will find in a 12 gauge loading. They will have significant recoil.

The best application for slugs like that is hunting medium to large game at longer distances. They are highly likely to overpenetrate making them a sub-optimal choice for home defense.
    3/15/2016

thanks for the info Guns/Guitars and TCinVA

I will stick with the current defensive rounds.

Mine is getting closer to done! Got the Magpul SGA installed on a GG&G adapter. Also removed the rail & sights and replaced with an Aridus CROM. The optic is an Aimpoint H1. The light is a Steiner. I have a GG&G front sling attachment but right now I can't remember where I stashed it, but it needs to go on. Eventually I'd like to get a GG&G bolt handle or the slicker/fancier one from Briley, and probably the Briley aluminum bolt release. But for now it's getting close to where I want it.

I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. - Richard Feynman
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.- Archbishop Helder Câmara

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    In all honestly, that would be plenty to keep the gun running for a long time.

That would be a new one on me. It doesn't mean she's wrong, but it represents a change in the way they are at least describing things. I've sent handguns that I bought used back to Beretta before and had them serviced with no issues or questions.
    Ok, but does anyone know what size Tork or Hex is correct for removing the clamp?

2.5mm hex head….for the factory barrel clam bolts

Any idea what the approximate service life is for the magazine spring?
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

User Tag List