Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Snub chat

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    The LCR 22 LR is back. They replaced the cylinder and bushing and reloctited ejector. It is much better. I fired 104 rounds of 8 different kinds of ammo. Most ejected easily. Mini Mags still stick. I think I have some old MM's around someplace. I'll try them. 16 rounds of old Thunderbolts ejected easily.
    Glad to hear your LCR 22 issues have been addressed.

I’ve had bad luck with Smith and Wesson 22 revolvers.

I sent back a 43c for spitting lead. Got it back and was somewhat improved but any brand of 22lr I had was difficult to shoot to the sights. Very disappointing.

Had a model 63 I sent in for canted barrel, it got sent back and was told “in spec”.

Also had a 317 2” barrel, tough find, that also spit lead and was not even accurate at 7 yards single action.

I gave up 22lr revolves at that point.

I have an aversion to inaccurate firearms. And SMALL 22lr revolvers seem to be less accurate than full frame versions.

The draw to a small frame 22lr is pocket carry with the ability to roll right past a dud.

But like I said, I need better than combat accuracy to keep me happy.

Having said all that, the Ruger LCR 22lr would be the only one that might draw me back in… it has that unibody frame and barrel shroud (with barrel insert) that can’t possibly be canted and would likely be very accurate.

So who knows, maybe I’ll try one more time.

Quote Originally Posted by threefiveseven View Post
    Glad to hear your LCR 22 issues have been addressed.

I’ve had bad luck with Smith and Wesson 22 revolvers.

I sent back a 43c for spitting lead. Got it back and was somewhat improved but any brand of 22lr I had was difficult to shoot to the sights. Very disappointing.

Had a model 63 I sent in for canted barrel, it got sent back and was told “in spec”.

Also had a 317 2” barrel, tough find, that also spit lead and was not even accurate at 7 yards single action.

I gave up 22lr revolves at that point.

I have an aversion to inaccurate firearms. And SMALL 22lr revolvers seem to be less accurate than full frame versions.

The draw to a small frame 22lr is pocket carry with the ability to roll right past a dud.

But like I said, I need better than combat accuracy to keep me happy.

Having said all that, the Ruger LCR 22lr would be the only one that might draw me back in… it has that unibody frame and barrel shroud (with barrel insert) that can’t possibly be canted and would likely be very accurate.

So who knows, maybe I’ll try one more time.
    Its sort of sad seeing this, partly that the guns werent up to expectations, and they are reasonable expectations, and partly because much of the noted issues could have been fixed by a moderately capable old school gunsmith. The not hitting to the sights on the 43C is a big part of why I like adjustable sights in general, but in a 22 they would seem even more desirable. I understand its intended as a carry gun, but low profile adjustables or a dovetail rear or front could alleviate much of the problems of both zeroing and snag resistant carry gun.

Indexing the barrel is relatively simple. Its not that the factory wasnt capable of doing it, they chose not to as it was "within spec". Their job isnt to make the customer happy, its meet time and production guidelines and work within the "specs" guidelines. Lacking a decent gunsmith, thats something Id do in my garage or front porch, but I think im wired a bit different than most in that regard. The 317 spitting and not accurate may also have been relatively simple, such as checking and opening up/cleaning up the forcing cone and checking correct indexing.

Dad had a 22-32 Kit gun (model 34?) long ago. He bought it with a 2" barrel. It shot sort of OK, but nothing to get exited about. I talked him into sending it back and getting a 4" barrel put on it, which improved the shootability of it. I ended up with it later, but compared to the k frame guns with the model 18 (4" 22 Combat Masterpiece) and 17 (6" K-22 Target), it wasnt easy to shoot as well and it was traded off. I sometimes think I miss it, then remember why I traded it off and the feeling passes quickly. It may be possible to get a J frame rimfire to shoot mechanically wise really well, but we should have realistic expectations of our ability to shoot them regardless of the mechanical ability of the gun. Small or really light guns arent as easy to shoot well.

Shooting prairie dogs one day I stuck a can on a fence post and paced off 46 yards from it to the truck. Rested over the hood the 22 Combat Masterpiece shot about a 2" group with Rem golden bullet ammo, at the time, their top grade non-target loads. I went and bought a bunch of it to shoot in that gun. It was hard to rationalize the J frame gun when the Ks shot so well and so easy to shoot. This was before legal concealed carry, so that aspect wasnt much of a consideration.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by overton View Post
    Came to post this. Interesting on the .22 Fed Punch. Will be interesting to see what they look like when it's updated.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

I have had excellent success shooting Velocitor in my S&W 43c. Easy extraction always and always goes bang. Other ammo has had sticky extraction. I decided to deep clean the chambers of my 43c to see if I could get good extraction with Mini Mags. I soaked the chambers with BoreTech C-4 carbon remover, scrubbed, brushed, patched and soaked with C-4 some more. I did several cycles of this, used a nylon brush in a drill, spun Scotch Brite on a cleaning rod etc. Chambers looked pretty clean.

I then shot 6 cylinders (48 rounds) of Mini Mags. I could extract with a push of my thumb. Then 2 cylinders of Winchester 555s that were laying around since one of the last shortages. The second cylinder was pretty stiff extraction but I could still use just my thumb. Then, without cleaning, I shot a cylinder of Velocitors. Very easy extraction.

I think I would like to hone the chambers to see what that does.

I got Ruger LCR 22LR the other day. I fired around 200 rounds of various ammo and always had to push the ejector rod against a hard object to extract. Most of the fired brass had a half moon bulge near the rim like an Auto that had the throat/ramp cut too deep. It is back at Ruger for repair.

Who else has had trouble with extraction on rimfire revolvers. I know some have had problems with 43c. How about 22LR LCRs?

Arthritis has flared up in my right wrist recently. Probably from shooting centerfire snubs. I'm probably going to stick with rimfire for a while to let my wrist to heal.

The rimfire revolvers seem to always get the first cylinder fired OK and maybe a smooth reload. The autoloaders seem to have less reliability even for the first mag. I've had light strikes with my S&W M&P 22 Compact.

I picked up an LCR 22 and was having the same issues. I cleaned the cylinders and it helped a little but not completely. Let us know what Ruger has to say about it.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

The LCR 22 LR is back. They replaced the cylinder and bushing and reloctited ejector. It is much better. I fired 104 rounds of 8 different kinds of ammo. Most ejected easily. Mini Mags still stick. I think I have some old MM's around someplace. I'll try them. 16 rounds of old Thunderbolts ejected easily.
    I should have finished reading this thread before asking my question. The cylinder on mine seems to have a lot of play when it’s open. I think I’m going to contact Ruger about mine too.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I picked up an LCR 22 and was having the same issues. I cleaned the cylinders and it helped a little but not completely. Let us know what Ruger has to say about it.
    I posted this a little earlier in the thread. I haven't had a chance to shoot it any more since.

"The LCR 22 LR is back. They replaced the cylinder and bushing and reloctited ejector. It is much better. I fired 104 rounds of 8 different kinds of ammo. Most ejected easily. Mini Mags still stick. I think I have some old MM's around someplace. I'll try them. 16 rounds of old Thunderbolts ejected easily."

edit to add: I guess we're posting over one another. Tag, you're it.

I fired an additional 128 rounds of mixed ammo today in the LCR and I could eject with my thumb except 1 cylinder of Stingers near the end of the testing.

I found some old and some even older Mini Mags and they ejected easier than the recent Mini Mags. I had some recent 36 grain Mini Mags marked varmint that ejected easily.

I fired 40 rounds in my S&W 43c with good ejection.

The LCR hits a little low for me at all distances. At 7 yards it hit just below the head box on a USPSA target when holding the sights level in the middle of the head box. My 43c hit center of the head box driving the dot of the factory sights. The LCR was shooting 3 or 4 inch groups off hand at 15 yards. I'll probably try some different sights on the LCR.

Weekend desert carry

Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
    Weekend desert carry
    The color of those grips is very nice.

User Tag List