Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: John Lovell Offends Anyone Born Before 1980

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Shitlord of the year: Elon Musk, or John Lovell?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    No, they're just statistical outliers, i.e., agencies that legitimately invested in GUNSMITHING capability.
    It is my understanding that Staccato offers free armorer and maintenence training for departments that authorize the 2011. Of course teaching someone to perform a couple safety checks and change a few springs isn't gunsmithing.

Still curious to hear what departments allowing the 2011 are doing to keep the guns up and running.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    This thread smells like salty tears, musty Member's Only jackets, white velcro New Balances, and Bengay.
    Throw in a ball cap and some aviators and you're there.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    It's quite awesome.

Shitlord of the year: Elon Musk, or John Lovell?
    Name:  20220430_164853.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  64.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    I have heard it repeated endless times that due to the thumb safety and grip safety on a 1911, it is difficult to learn/master and utilize the appropriate manual of arms for the pistol.

You pick up the pistol from where it is laying or from your holster. If you have a proper grip, the grip safety is activated. If it isn't, learn to grip the pistol properly, or adjust the grip safety so it activates when properly gripped.

When you pick up the pistol from where it is laying or from your holster, your trigger finger is straight alongside the pistol and your shooting hand thumb is resting on top of the thumb safety. If it isn't, see "learn to grip the pistol properly" above.

As the shooter indexes the pistol on the target, the shooting hand thumb (which is already on top of the thumb safety) applies slight pressure downward, disengaging the thumb safety. Align sights and press trigger until problem solved.

After the problem is solved, place trigger finger alongside pistol and apply slight upward pressure on the bottom of the thumb safety, engaging it.

Based on the whining I hear about the 1911, one would think that the above process is akin to performing brains surgery while playing the violin.

It took me about two minutes to figure out how to do it consistently, and I am likely as far from "naturally gifted" with a pistol as anyone reading this forum.

The world has changed a lot over the past 40 years. People used to know how to communicate in writing and in personal speech. Most of those I came in contact could spell. Many, including ladies, could change a flat tire on their car when necessary. And tell a kid "NO" when they needed to be told "NO". They even figured out rotary dial phones at relatively early ages.

But that was then, and this is now. I have to agree. Time has passed the 1911 by and it just doesn't suit the needs of today's shooters. Even those shooters who are "Poet Warriors".

But that isn't because of the design of the 1911. It's because its just too HARD!

God forbid we get into a discussion about how brutal the recoil of a 1911 is when shooting a 230 gr. caliber .45 ACP cartridge. That recoil AND A THUMBB AND GRIP SAFETY????

I feel faint just thinking about it. I will be in the parlor eating Tide pods.
    In today's world they teach the power stroke or the slingshot, because under stress you can't manipulate a slide latch[emoji1787], but you can manipulate a trigger, and magazine releases [emoji6].

Someone nailed it above with " It's the Indian, not the arrow "

I carried a 1911 for professionally for 27 out of 31 years. There were some issues, and I learned to handle them. Then there were some Glock issues. I liked the Glock, USP, and M&P. All good guns. In retirement I carry the 1911 most, I like them and I'm heavily invested, but then there's the M&P 2.0 with thumb safety, Glock, High Power, and revolvers and I feel equally well armed with all of them.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    This thread smells like salty tears, musty Member's Only jackets, white velcro New Balances, and Bengay.
    Actually I prefer slip-ons which eliminates the velcro strap. Bengay doesn't work that well. CBD cream is better.

cannabidiol, is increasingly popular, thanks to its reported myriad benefits and non-intoxicating properties. But it’s no fad—even science is getting behind the plant compound. Clinical studies show CBD topicals like creams, gels and balms may relieve pain associated with osteoarthritis, nervous system damage and ongoing localized muscle aches. CBD creams can provide short-term topical relief for some.
    Forbes.

When you hit 70 you need a good cardiologist and plenty of fiber in your diet. Pistols are almost a secondary consideration. I know a guy who has about 20 firearms who is 74. He owns some pretty high end AR's, bolt rifles and pistols. He hasn't been to the range in two years due to health issues.

He doesn't own a 1911.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Throw in a ball cap and some aviators and you're there.
    And parachute pants

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    I have heard it repeated endless times that due to the thumb safety and grip safety on a 1911, it is difficult to learn/master and utilize the appropriate manual of arms for the pistol.

You pick up the pistol from where it is laying or from your holster. If you have a proper grip, the grip safety is activated. If it isn't, learn to grip the pistol properly, or adjust the grip safety so it activates when properly gripped.

When you pick up the pistol from where it is laying or from your holster, your trigger finger is straight alongside the pistol and your shooting hand thumb is resting on top of the thumb safety. If it isn't, see "learn to grip the pistol properly" above.

As the shooter indexes the pistol on the target, the shooting hand thumb (which is already on top of the thumb safety) applies slight pressure downward, disengaging the thumb safety. Align sights and press trigger until problem solved.

After the problem is solved, place trigger finger alongside pistol and apply slight upward pressure on the bottom of the thumb safety, engaging it.

Based on the whining I hear about the 1911, one would think that the above process is akin to performing brains surgery while playing the violin.

It took me about two minutes to figure out how to do it consistently, and I am likely as far from "naturally gifted" with a pistol as anyone reading this forum.

The world has changed a lot over the past 40 years. People used to know how to communicate in writing and in personal speech. Most of those I came in contact could spell. Many, including ladies, could change a flat tire on their car when necessary. And tell a kid "NO" when they needed to be told "NO". They even figured out rotary dial phones at relatively early ages.

But that was then, and this is now. I have to agree. Time has passed the 1911 by and it just doesn't suit the needs of today's shooters. Even those shooters who are "Poet Warriors".

But that isn't because of the design of the 1911. It's because its just too HARD!

God forbid we get into a discussion about how brutal the recoil of a 1911 is when shooting a 230 gr. caliber .45 ACP cartridge. That recoil AND A THUMBB AND GRIP SAFETY????

I feel faint just thinking about it. I will be in the parlor eating Tide pods.
    Was that all tongue in cheek? I don’t know anyone that thinks shooting a 1911 is too hard.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    but see the thumb safety on a handgun as something that will get officers killed. Is that really the case?

Yep. It's probably happened.

But not to some boomer that goes to the range once a week and incorporates his safety into his regimen. Neither has it happened to a cop who has run a 1911 for 20 years and thinks a safety on a pistol is like a parking break on every vehicle he's ever driven. You make sure it's off before you use it.

Personally I don't like safeties on a carry and I can see the problem with training someone who has never fired a pistol to react to a deadly threat.

I'm not a pistol shooter per say but I have 5 or 6 and I've previously had a bunch that I sold. I don't compete. I just like to experience the differences in design and function. I have several HK's and several 1911's. Also some Sigs.

I can totally understand why most agencies have moved to Glocks.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Still curious to hear what departments allowing the 2011 are doing to keep the guns up and running.

It's a Staccato, so like ammo and lube? Won't need anything else.
    Serious note: These are cops, who train and qual, and the random OIS. Not Tier1 face shooters kicking in doors in Gofuckurselfstan. Hell, how often were they reverting to a pistol?
    How high of a round count does your average patrol cop rack up during a year?
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

User Tag List