Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Smith assaults Chris Rock, wins Oscar

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I agree it's their business...and I could give a rat's ass...but they voluntarily put themselves in the situation at an event known for the hosts breaking balls with the attendees. And, the fact that the comment was neither mean spirited, nor disrespectful, takes the oxygen out of the excuse that he was standing up for his wife's honor. (The fucker laughed, himself.)

So no, the situation did not call for an educational beatdown nor any other sort. It was the act of an idiot who didn't know how to respond appropriately.

We can disagree with no rancor on my part. But how anyone can see or buy this as a true act of disrespect is beyond me.
    He was laughing at the prior jokes, not the GI Jane comment. If you don't think a joke about a medical condition, in a public space with millions watching is disrespectful, we clearly have completely different thoughts about what constitutes disrespect.

Yeah, this thread is how I heard about this. I couldn't car less about movies or any of these clown people but that did offer me a moment of slight entertainment. I'm in the camp of don't talk shit about somebody's wife and expect nothing to come of it. I understand it was a joke... clearly it didn't land with dude.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I agree it's their business...and I could give a rat's ass...but they voluntarily put themselves in the situation at an event known for the hosts breaking balls with the attendees. And, the fact that the comment was neither mean spirited, nor disrespectful, takes the oxygen out of the excuse that he was standing up for his wife's honor. (The fucker laughed, himself.)

So no, the situation did not call for an educational beatdown nor any other sort. It was the act of an idiot who didn't know how to respond appropriately.

We can disagree with no rancor on my part. But how anyone can see or buy this as a true act of disrespect is beyond me.
    I agree. And, I’m not a fan of “respect culture” where dissing someone justifies violence. Threatening someone can justify preemptive violence. Lack of respect? Nope. That’s for kids and gangstas.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    He was laughing at the prior jokes, not the GI Jane comment. If you don't think a joke about a medical condition, in a public space with millions watching is disrespectful, we clearly have completely different thoughts about what constitutes disrespect.
    Context is everything. I'll leave it at that.

(I have family with the same condition. If I were walking on the street with them and somebody made a rude, insulting remark, I'm not sure how it'd have gone. The fact that I walk around armed leads me to at least hope that I wouldn't get into an armed conflict, and that I'd follow the advice we reinforce daily hereabouts. But I have been known to have a temper, so I work hard at keeping it under wraps.)

This is by far the most I have discussed anything coming out of Hollywood in years. Pretty funny.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    .... and why I expect a "sticks-and-stones" standard from my kids....
    This is what I'm legitimately wondering about. Kids supposedly learn this in school. "Nothing anybody says gives you the right to touch them." Then, Will Smith & Juwan Howard do what they do, and people are lauding them for it. So, which is it? Are we now allowed to just walk up and give somebody a shiner because we didn't like what they said?

That sure isn't what I was taught in any of my jiu-jitsu and FMA classes....

Hollywood.
    Name:  NukeItFromOrbit.JPG
Views: 396
Size:  38.6 KB

Site Supporter
    The whole sticks and stones philosophy is bullshit and has probably led to more kids putting up with and being silent about being bullied than we could count because they're told words should never hurt them. The reality is is that some kids are cruel to others and it does neither party any good to let them get by with it.

We taught our kids the three strike rule. If a kid says something once that hurts your feelings, ignore it. If they say it twice, tell them you don't like it. If they say it a third time, tell Mom and Dad and we'll take it to the next level.
    I think we can agree that posting a quick reply on this forum doesn't capture the full spectrum of nuances required to raise a child to be both respectful, self assured and, when necessary, take appropriate actions to address problems such as bullying... ?

In assessing the Oscars situation, I remain convinced it was not the place or time for an Educational Beat Down... Honestly, it WAS a good place/time for using words.... As opposed to a well known actor and (for all the wrong reasons) "role model" to make it ok to respond to a verbal slight with (relatively) immediate violence.

Dude1: Did you see Willy slap Rock for dissin' his wife?
    Dude2: Yeah man, don't nobody ever talk shit about MY lady or I'll pop a cap in their ass.

Awesome example setting...

And FWIW... It looked staged, but, I only watched it once and not the slow-mo version...

YMMV
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I think we can agree that posting a quick reply on this forum doesn't capture the full spectrum of nuances required to raise a child to be both respectful, self assured and, when necessary, take appropriate actions to address problems such as bullying... ?
    Certainly, but it doesn't negate the fact that sticks and stones is a terrible philosophy.

In assessing the Oscars situation, I remain convinced it was not the place or time for an Educational Beat Down... Honestly, it WAS a good place/time for using words.... As opposed to a well known actor and (for all the wrong reasons) "role model" to make it ok to respond to a verbal slight with (relatively) immediate violence.
    It was an open handed slap, not a beat down. They are quite different.

Dude1: Did you see Willy slap Rock for dissin' his wife?
    Dude2: Yeah man, don't nobody ever talk shit about MY lady or I'll pop a cap in their ass.
    Slapping another man and shooting him are worlds apart.

Awesome example setting...

And FWIW... It looked staged, but, I only watched it once and not the slow-mo version...

YMMV
    I don't believe it was staged, based on Rock's reaction, his fumbling over his own words immediately after, and them cutting audio.
    Last edited by Casual Friday; 03-28-2022 at 10:11 AM.

The Fresh Prince left some fresh prints.

Site Supporter
    I don't believe it was staged, based on Rock's reaction, his fumbling over his own words immediately after, and them cutting audio.
    I don't watch the Oscars, never have. I don't care about whether or not a movie wins an award, the only "award" that matters is whether or not I'll spend some of my time to reward the creators of said movie.
    That said, I've seen multiple mentions in the news over the last few days questioning the relevance of the Oscars, pointing out the declining viewership, etc. All of a sudden we have a major controversy at the show to get everyone's attention. This feels intentional.

I bet next year's viewership goes up.

Chris

User Tag List